Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 19-10-2021, 03:36   #2911
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Ontario doctors barred from issuing medical exemptions for COVID vaccines, masks, tests

The province's medical regulator says the restrictions imposed on Dr. Mark Trozzi [of Harrow, S. Of Windsor], and Dr. Rochagne Kilian [a GP in Owen Sound], took effect just before midnight Friday.

The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario says the doctors must also post signs regarding these restrictions in their offices and during virtual visits with patients.

The college says the interim orders were issued under provisions of the Regulated Health Professions Act, which allow the regulator to impose restrictions or conditions on a member's licence if it believes the conduct at issue "exposes or is likely to expose patients to harm or injury."

Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Kieran Moore has said that the only two legitimate medical exemptions [1]: are an allergy to one of the components of the vaccine, or an increased risk of myocarditis.
[1]https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-c...ines-1.5572833

Old 19-10-2021, 19:16   #2912

Boat: Rafiki 37

CBC:
Parliament imposes mandatory vaccination rule on most MPs

Quote:
Both the Liberals and NDP required that their candidates be vaccinated during the election campaign, though they did not extend that requirement to staff members. The Bloc Québécois said during the campaign that all of its candidates were vaccinated.

The Conservatives have not released similar vaccination statistics, but the party told CBC News in September that Conservative MPs will follow all public health directives.

Parliament is set to resume on Nov. 22, slightly more than two months after election day.
Old 20-10-2021, 04:45   #2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Parliament should have the same rules as the rest of us schlubs. I know that's not always the case but it should be.

Will be interesting to see if any unvaxxed CPCs make waves.
Old 20-10-2021, 06:12   #2914
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Could this be part of a national trend?

The COVID-19 pandemic led to Thunder Bay [ON] police responding to more than 4,000 FEWER calls for service in 2020 [about 50,800 calls for service in 2020, down from more than 54,400 in 2019]; when compared to the previous year, the service's annual report [1] states.

“The pandemic had a dramatic impact on our calls for service," the report stated. "The total number of property crimes dropped dramatically in 2020, reflecting the outcome from the provincial lockdown in response to the pandemic."
Also down, were incidents of violent crime, with 1,875 reported in 2020. In 2019, police dealt with 2,031 violent crime incidents.
However, impaired driving charges increased from 204, in 2019, to 299, in 2020.

[1] “2020 - Annual Report” ~ Thunder Bay Police Service
https://www.thunderbaypolice.ca/site...eport_2020.pdf

Old 20-10-2021, 06:49   #2915

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
“The pandemic had a dramatic impact on our calls for service," the report stated. "The total number of property crimes dropped dramatically in 2020, reflecting the outcome from the provincial lockdown in response to the pandemic."
Also down, were incidents of violent crime, with 1,875 reported in 2020. In 2019, police dealt with 2,031 violent crime incidents.
However, impaired driving charges increased from 204, in 2019, to 299, in 2020.
Fascinating. Much like the improved numbers of other transmissible diseases, there are unintended positive consequences of all these lockdowns. I recall early warnings around an increased risk of domestic violence. The report doesn't break this out, but I see the overall violent crime numbers are just slightly above 2019.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post
Parliament should have the same rules as the rest of us schlubs. I know that's not always the case but it should be.

True. The Conservatives are the only party that weren't declaring or demanding that all their candidates were fully vaxxed. I bet there are a few unvaxxed hiding in their midst.
Old 20-10-2021, 07:59   #2916

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaClyDog View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
True. The Conservatives are the only party that weren't declaring or demanding that all their candidates were fully vaxxed. I bet there are a few unvaxxed hiding in their midst.
Hit them in their pocketbooks! They should follow the NHL's lead

Quote:
Sharks' Evander Kane suspended 21 games for submitting fake COVID-19 vaccination card
After all, Canada is hockey!

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...ames-1.6215684
Old 20-10-2021, 08:05   #2917

In other news I just blocked off April 28 to June 30, 2022. For the third time I am attempting to actually make it out to BC and get in some cruising time. Let's hope it goes better than the other two.

Of course I just made a bid for a large project that might scupper that idea before it even has a chance. This after two years of making piss-all in this stupid COVID economy. Is it bad I am actually hoping not to get the job?
Old 20-10-2021, 09:45   #2918

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
In other news I just blocked off April 28 to June 30, 2022. For the third time I am attempting to actually make it out to BC and get in some cruising time. Let's hope it goes better than the other two.

Of course I just made a bid for a large project that might scupper that idea before it even has a chance. This after two years of making piss-all in this stupid COVID economy. Is it bad I am actually hoping not to get the job?

That's really close to being a retired guy attitude
Old 20-10-2021, 10:28   #2919

Quote:

Mac, here's what I recommend:

1. Take the job (I hope you do get it.).

2. Delay your trip til after June 30, make it July 1 to Aug. 30.

Why? For the past two "springtimes" it didn't stop raining until Canada Day and was cold, cold, cold, to boot.

Maybe check Old Farmers Almanac? Although I checked wikipedia just the other day after my wife asked how good they are. Answer: about 50%, no better or worse than the TV kiddos!

But I've lived here for 5+ years now and springtime keeps coming later and later, and oh yeah, it started raining Oct.1st, yet again!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 20-10-2021, 10:28   #2920

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

This is an interesting article and survey re vaccine hesitancy and suggests how to deal with it ( or not). It's Alberta-based but a fairly significant-sized sample. It highlights the growing anger/frustration at the unvaccinated but notes that confronting people or bombarding them with facts is unlikely to change their attitude.

Quote:
Empathy and compassion is a good starting point in any effort to convince people to get vaccinated, he said.
Whether you are pro- or anti-vaccine, Leslie encourages Albertans to move beyond labelling each other as "malthinking morons from somewhere over there."
"You want to channel that energy, that anger, that frustration into a productive conversation, rather than a Twitter-style shouting match," he said.
Recent research into persuading reluctant people to get the COVID-19 vaccine concluded that confrontation with facts and/or scare tactics provoke more resistance.
Leslie's own work highlights the importance of discovering "a vaccine-hesitant person's positive motivation," because getting them to say yes to an inoculation requires lengthy empathetic conversations to find out why the person is hesitant.
"You have to be empathetic, actually get into their worldview," said Leslie
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ovid-1.6215314
Old 20-10-2021, 10:31   #2921

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
This is an interesting article and survey re vaccine hesitancy and suggests how to deal with it ( or not). It's Alberta-based but a fairly significant-sized sample. It highlights the growing anger/frustration at the unvaccinated but notes that confronting people or bombarding them with facts is unlikely to change their attitude.

I read that, too.

But,Vaccination isn't a personal decision because the consequences aren’t strictly personal. The point of getting vaccinated is to keep players from spreading Covid. People who are not vaccinated have made a conscious decision to jeopardize themselves, their colleagues , their family, and their community. It is a selfish antisocial decision.

Here's another take:
Like this, from Kareem Abdul Jabaar: https://jacobinmag.com/2021/10/karee...-kyrie-irving/
Old 20-10-2021, 11:29   #2922

Quote:

I read this as one of those "duh" articles; but I accept that, for some reason, it's just not that obvious to most people. I continually shake my head at people on both sides of the increasing divides in politics, social justice and covid and wonder why anyone thinks that yelling at someone, or telling them they are wrong over and over again, will work.

Has everyone forgotten being a teenager? I mean, I know we are supposed to grown up now but really... are we ever? If I want something... I really, really want something, then bullying and pestering is the last tactic I reach for. And we all (well at least most of us) know that deep down inside. But still we rant and rage, lecture and pontificate. Being human is so weird.
Old 20-10-2021, 11:33   #2923

Quote:
That's really close to being a retired guy attitude
I know— right...? Now if I can just get her fired we are all set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Mac, here's what I recommend:

1. Take the job (I hope you do get it.).
2. Delay your trip til after June 30, make it July 1 to Aug. 30.

Why? For the past two "springtimes" it didn't stop raining until Canada Day and was cold, cold, cold, to boot.

But I've lived here for 5+ years now and springtime keeps coming later and later, and oh yeah, it started raining Oct.1st, yet again!
Alas I both hate the summer crowds and keep my boat with a charter company to help offset the ownership costs...and July August are prime charter months. I might have to settle for a week in there somewhere if the job thing goes well. And I like the rain
Old 20-10-2021, 11:53   #2924

Quote:
I read this as one of those "duh" articles; but I accept that, for some reason, it's just not that obvious to most people. I continually shake my head at people on both sides of the increasing divides in politics, social justice and covid and wonder why anyone thinks that yelling at someone, or telling them they are wrong over and over again, will work.

Has everyone forgotten being a teenager? I mean, I know we are supposed to grown up now but really... are we ever? If I want something... I really, really want something, then bullying and pestering is the last tactic I reach for. And we all (well at least most of us) know that deep down inside. But still we rant and rage, lecture and pontificate. Being human is so weird.

Good points. Only one thing/question to add/ask:

Which of the two groups has resorted to violence and intimidation as their "GoTo" choice of first report?

I think there's a false equivalency going on here.

Only one side has protested AT hospitals and threatened health care workers.
Old 20-10-2021, 12:03   #2925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Good points. Only one thing/question to add/ask:

Which of the two groups has resorted to violence and intimidation as their "GoTo" choice of first report?

I think there's a false equivalency going on here.

Only one side has protested AT hospitals and threatened health care workers.
I'm not going to argue because I mostly agree but you miss my point. There are no sides. At least there shouldn't be. Society operates, actually IMHO society exists, by creating collective attitudes, mores and goals. As soon as it is 'them against us' society loses.

That's not to say a revolution isn't necessary now and then, but historically the slow persuasive ones have outlasted the short, "dictatorial" ones.

I think some of my family are morons. But I am not going to tell them that, nor am I going to bombard them with a lot of facts and figures that neither they nor I can truly understand—we aren't scientists after all and pretending to be just exacerbates the problem. So I either ignore them or choose to slowly worm my way of thinking into their consciousnesses and see where it goes. It sucks but, to me, that's just the way it is.