Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.50 average. Display Modes
Old 09-05-2021, 08:06   #1681

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Canadian COVID-19 News

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
I thought that this might be of interest, although I think that the title is a bit misleading
https://www.newwestrecord.ca/opinion...s-poll-3748719
Interesting. I am not sure why those opposed to some sort of control are working to hard at assuming the worst. Personally if they just do a literal implementation (i.e. actually put a stamp/sticker in my passport) I don't see why its a big deal. Or something on my drivers license for more regional controls.

Yes there are possible inequities with disadvantaged populations, but then again they aren't likely to be doing much travelling. And do we really need such a thing to eat out or go to a concert? That thinking was based —at a guess— on the fallacy that a vaccine would offer immediate immunity to transmission to a percentage of the population and not the other.

So I guess we know which third I am in
Old 09-05-2021, 08:36   #1682

Boat: Rafiki 37

I am wary of any new restrictions on travel (or anything really). But quite honestly, I can't see an alternative to some sort of vaccine passport.

Actually, I can see an alternative; we continue the high level of border controls and travel restrictions until infection rates are near zero everywhere. It's the best-worst option.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:45   #1683

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I am wary of any new restrictions on travel (or anything really). But quite honestly, I can't see an alternative to some sort of vaccine passport.

Actually, I can see an alternative; we continue the high level of border controls and travel restrictions until infection rates are near zero everywhere. It's the best-worst option.
One of the things that made 2019 a stand-out year for me was crewing with a couple of friends for a 4-day spring jaunt around eastern L Ontario, hitting a few ports in NY. Hoping for a repeat this fall.

(... might be over-optimistic)
Old 09-05-2021, 08:59   #1684

Boat: Hullmaster 27

Quote:
It's not like this is anything new ... Yellow Fever vaccination certificates are still required for travel to/from many countries, not so long ago Cholera certificates were routine for "third world" travel.

Many many years ago I also needed a smallpox certificate before being allowed into the USA. We managed to get rid of the need for smallpox certificates by a concentrated program of global vaccination, hopefully covid will eventually go the same way. But until then I expect we'll be required to carry certificates with our passports or have a forced vaccination/quarantine on arrival.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:22   #1685

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
One of the things that made 2019 a stand-out year for me was crewing with a couple of friends for a 4-day spring jaunt around eastern L Ontario, hitting a few ports in NY. Hoping for a repeat this fall. (... might be over-optimistic)
Ah 2019... I was sailing around the northern peninsula of Newfoundland, seeing icebergs and leaping whales for the first time. I can hardly believe that was normal life.

I don't see this as a possibility for this year (for me), but I still hope/plan to get back to my boat sometime this year. I'm aiming for 2022 as a return to normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelkara View Post
It's not like this is anything new ... Yellow Fever vaccination certificates are still required for travel to/from many countries, not so long ago Cholera certificates were routine for "third world" travel.
Agreed, it's not a big step, or big ask -- much like most of the other measures we've taken like distancing and masks. But it is a change (for most). It's revealing to see how resistant some people are to change of any sort.
Old 09-05-2021, 09:41   #1686

Quote:
Ah 2019... I was sailing around the northern peninsula of Newfoundland, seeing icebergs and leaping whales for the first time. I can hardly believe that was normal life.

I don't see this as a possibility for this year (for me), but I still hope/plan to get back to my boat sometime this year. I'm aiming for 2022 as a return to normal.

Agreed, it's not a big step, or big ask -- much like most of the other measures we've taken like distancing and masks. But it is a change (for most). It's revealing to see how resistant some people are to change of any sort.
Mother's Day 2019, waiting out some weather in Lund. Sigh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5494.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	464.9 KB
ID:	237994  
Old 09-05-2021, 09:48   #1687

Yes, pictures! That's lovely Mac.

Early May 2019 was still too early to be out on the water, but a short time later...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_IGP7478.jpeg
Views:	82
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	237995   Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP7532.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	360.9 KB
ID:	237996  

Name:	IMGA0289.jpeg
Views:	61
Size:	337.0 KB
ID:	237997  
Old 09-05-2021, 13:55   #1688

Quote:
Originally Posted by desodave View Post
I thought that this might be of interest, although I think that the title is a bit misleading
https://www.newwestrecord.ca/opinion...s-poll-3748719
Similar poll results in the USA, but a bit lower support. Slim majority are for certificates for international travel, interstate travel, concerts / sporting events / theaters, return to workplaces, to gain entry to schools, but a minority for requirements for religious ceremonies, shopping indoor, indoor dining.

That being said the US Federal government has no plans for establishing a certification system and our databases are fragmented and sketchy at best and some States have passed legislation banning such; yet many employers will mandate vaccination for their employees so that will be a strong incentive.

I perceive that international travel may be complicated by the lack of verifiable vaccinations for Americans and many countries may be slow to open because of such. It is likely much easier to implement if a country has nationalized health care.
Old 09-05-2021, 19:07   #1689

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Mother's Day 2019, waiting out some weather in Lund. Sigh.
Cinnamon buns!!!!
Old 10-05-2021, 04:02   #1690

Earlier we were discussing NACI and the issue over their somewhat confused communications. I just came across this Globe story which I love, because it says more or less what I've been saying .

Once a little-known health body, NACI finds itself in the pandemic spotlight over COVID-19 vaccine debate

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...-the-pandemic/

Quote:
The committee, which is made up of an independent expert panel that reports to the Public Health Agency of Canada, is tasked with providing non-binding advice to federal, provincial and territorial governments about how best to allocate vaccines that are authorized by regulators.

But once a medical rarity crashed headlong into Canada’s uneven vaccine rollout, that simple job description turned into a recipe for communication chaos, leaving observers to wonder if there might be a better way for the committee to get its information across.
Old 11-05-2021, 04:06   #1691
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

EACOM Timber Corporation encourages employees to get vaccinated – rolls out ‘thank you’ program among employees and contractors

EACOM Timber Corporation, which owns nine sawmills, and two manufacturing plants, across northern Ontario and Quebec, is offering its 2,000 eligible workers, [staff and contractors] $200, to receive their first COVID-19 shot, and $150 to receive the second.
The timber company hopes to see 85 per cent of their workforce vaccinated. However, they will also provide the bonus to workers that have demonstrated they cannot receive the vaccine, for medical reasons. [the entire process is confidential]

More ➥ https://www.eacom.ca/vaccination-thank-you/

Old 11-05-2021, 07:34   #1692

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
EACOM Timber Corporation encourages employees to get vaccinated – rolls out ‘thank you’ program among employees and contractors

EACOM Timber Corporation, which owns nine sawmills, and two manufacturing plants, across northern Ontario and Quebec, is offering its 2,000 eligible workers, [staff and contractors] $200, to receive their first COVID-19 shot, and $150 to receive the second.
The timber company hopes to see 85 per cent of their workforce vaccinated. However, they will also provide the bonus to workers that have demonstrated they cannot receive the vaccine, for medical reasons. [the entire process is confidential]

More ➥ https://www.eacom.ca/vaccination-thank-you/
Instead of cash as an incentive they should just give everyone who gets vaccinated a chilled case of Corona.

And for the 15% of the employees who don't get vaccinated what is the company's plans?

Terminate their employment seems like a good combination of the carrot or the stick.

We have given notice to our employees that vaccination will be a requirements for continued employment. The deadline for vaccination compliance being based on 1) availability of vaccines, which now is pretty much universally available in the USA and 2) approval of the specific vaccine by the US FDA as presently only emergency use authorization has been granted to all of the vaccines that are being inoculated. There are the two standard exemptions - religious convictions and medical reasons, both of which are very rare and readily discernable between the employee and employer. Next step is to notify all of our supply vendors, consultants and customers of the similar requirement to gain access to our facilities. Expectations are that the deadline will be early Fall 2021.
Old 11-05-2021, 07:46   #1693

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Instead of cash as an incentive they should just give everyone who gets vaccinated a chilled case of Corona.
Corona? Nah, not in Quebec. These would be more appreciated:

or
Old 11-05-2021, 07:51   #1694

Quote:
Corona? Nah, not in Quebec. These would be more appreciated:

or

Hmmmm, you might be on to something Mike. The solution to Alberta's woes: cause we all know rednecks love their Pil...

P.S. I can't believe 20-year-old me drank that stuff
Old 11-05-2021, 08:08   #1695

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Hmmmm, you might be on to something Mike. The solution to Alberta's woes: cause we all know rednecks love their Pil...

P.S. I can't believe 20-year-old me drank that stuff

Yup, still a strong seller. Of course the true redneck beer was Beer beer. I recall discovering it when I moved to Calgary in the mid-1980s to go to UofC. It was the cheapest drunk available, so popular amongst the impoverished student crowd.

Apparently it was so cheap it was banned in Saskatchewan:

The generic beer that was too cheap for Saskatchewan