Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2020, 10:49   #331

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Canadian boating - Great Lakes and Atlantic region

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
At this point the Iroquois Lock and Welland Canal are handling pleasure craft with some minor restrictions and on a limited schedule. The remaining locks are scheduled to open to pleasure craft on 6/22.

I'm unclear, however, on whether US boats can transit the Welland Canal with the US/Canada border closure in place (I'd expect you have to check in to Canada to transit, then back into the US).
Normal procedures do not require transiting boats to check into Canada or the USA. So hopefully the border closure won't have any impact here. But best to check ahead of time.

I'd read the Seaway locks were opening to recreational traffic soon. But I think the transits are even more restricted than normal. Looking at the Seaway website I see for the Saint-Lambert, Côte Sainte-Catherine and Beauharnois locks there are specific up and down-bound schedules. AND you must make a reservation ahead of time:

https://greatlakes-seaway.com/en/rec...al-lakeontario

The Welland has already gone to an alternating schedule of up and down bound traffic.
Old 17-06-2020, 10:49   #332
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
At this point the Iroquois Lock and Welland Canal are handling pleasure craft with some minor restrictions and on a limited schedule. The remaining locks are scheduled to open to pleasure craft on 6/22.

I'm unclear, however, on whether US boats can transit the Welland Canal with the US/Canada border closure in place (I'd expect you have to check in to Canada to transit, then back into the US).
It seems unlikely. I don't think you could previously go through the Welland without checking in, (see Canadian Customs section):
https://www.offshoreblue.com/cruising/welland-canal.php
Old 17-06-2020, 11:02   #333

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Normal procedures do not require transiting boats to check into Canada or the USA. So hopefully the border closure won't have any impact here. But best to check ahead of time.

Interesting. I'd always understood (not having transited personally) that because you touch the locks and the pleasure craft dock for check-in, you'd have to enter Canada (unlike just transiting a piece of Canadian waters without touching anything).
Old 17-06-2020, 11:12   #334

Quote:
Interesting. I'd always understood (not having transited personally) that because you touch the locks and the pleasure craft dock for check-in, you'd have to enter Canada (unlike just transiting a piece of Canadian waters without touching anything).
Don't have to clear in unless you plan to dock and leave the boat for anything other than to manage the lockage.

I transited the Seaway locks a few years ago, from Lake Ontario down past Montreal. As I Canadian I had to use the two American locks (Snell & Eisenhower). No need to clear in. The same goes the other way.

Now, Covid restrictions may have imposed an additional duty here, so I suggest anyone planning this route check with the Seaway. But normal procedures do not require transiting American or Canadian craft to clear into either country.
Old 23-06-2020, 08:52   #335
SuW

I just heard from Alexandre Roman on Degas 4 (32 foot sailboat) that he is transiting the Seaway from Montreal. He expects to make it through the Iroquois lock late this afternoon.

He says the locks are good, very little traffic*, he is one of very few boats on the water. It is 32C but he says it's nice on the water!

The Canadian and American locks are now open.

* I expect that to change!
Old 29-06-2020, 13:24   #336

Update on Covid in Canada

yahoo.com/news/canada-covid19-coronavirus-modelling-second-wave-resurgence-hot-spots-virus-190940279.html

"Most of the cases seen to date have been in Quebec and Ontario, primarily in the more populous areas of Toronto and Montreal. The data does show that Alberta, Saskatchewan and New Brunswick have seen a recent increase in cases, which exemplifies that resurgences can happen at any time, even if case numbers are relatively low."
Old 29-06-2020, 19:56   #337

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

N.B.-Covid as of Jun 29 https://globalnews.ca/news/7121064/n...navirus-cases/
Old 03-07-2020, 14:57   #338
SuW

Louis and Ruby on Lilly Therine (42 ft Hunter) are headed from Iroquois, Ontario to Newfoundland (their home).

Members of the Thousand Islands Yacht Club wish them "Bon voyage!"
Old 03-07-2020, 21:13   #339

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Louis and Ruby on Lilly Therine (42 ft Hunter) are headed from Iroquois, Ontario to Newfoundland (their home).

Members of the Thousand Islands Yacht Club wish them "Bon voyage!"

Very good for them. Sure wish I could tag along .
Old 04-07-2020, 06:52   #340
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Very good for them. Sure wish I could tag along .
Me too. We are months behind in this year's project. We might get in the water by August!

I swore I would never paint in July again...and here we are, still doing glasswork!
Old 04-07-2020, 11:47   #341

The relockingdown continues. The city of Chicago is implementing a 14 day quarantine requirement for people who arrive from Covid hotspots. The City website, states with more than 15 new cases of COVID-19 per 100,000 residents over a 7-day period will be designated as part of the mandate. The list will be updated every Tuesday, beginning on July 14.

Travelers who violate the order could be fined up to $7,000, with a daily fine of between $100 to $500.

As of July 3, 15 states were subject to the mandate:

Alabama

Arkansas

Arizona

California

Florida

Georgia

Idaho

Louisiana

Mississippi

North Carolina

Nevada

South Carolina

Tennessee

Texas

Utah

The mandate only applies to the city of Chicago, so those traveling to other areas of Illinois will not have to quarantine.

In addition, only individuals who spent more than 24 hours in a designated state will have to quarantine. For instance, travelers who have layovers or just stop for gas in a state on the list wouldn't have to quarantine.

The Chicago website notes that the order will be in effect "until further notice."
Old 04-07-2020, 12:55   #342

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Interesting in light of the gun death rate in the City of Chicago. Maybe they should have a 14 quarantine on guns coming in from out of the area.
Old 06-07-2020, 00:47   #343
cruiser

I am heading over to live for a month in Canada to sail (I already applied for tourist visa through https://visa-canada.info). Can anyone offer some information on if this is possible in either of the above. Also as I won't have a boat, any yacht clubs you know that are looking for crew on a regular basis and welcome short term members.

I sailed a lot as a child and after 8 years living in land locked cites I would love to get back on the water to LIVE MY LIFE
Old 06-07-2020, 01:08   #344

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
The relockingdown continues. The city of Chicago is implementing a 14 day quarantine requirement for people who arrive from Covid hotspots. The City website, states with more than 15 new cases of COVID-19 per 100,000 residents over a 7-day period will be designated as part of the mandate. The list will be updated every Tuesday, beginning on July 14.

Travelers who violate the order could be fined up to $7,000, with a daily fine of between $100 to $500.

As of July 3, 15 states were subject to the mandate:

Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, Nevada, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah

The mandate only applies to the city of Chicago, so those traveling to other areas of Illinois will not have to quarantine.

In addition, only individuals who spent more than 24 hours in a designated state will have to quarantine. For instance, travelers who have layovers or just stop for gas in a state on the list wouldn't have to quarantine.

The Chicago website notes that the order will be in effect "until further notice."
Montanan,

Not sure how this post is relevant to a Canadian boating thread.

The Canadian border is closed so while a renewed lockdown in Chicago may be noteable, as it pertains to Canadian boating, it doesn't make any difference to our circumstances here - which is the point of this thread.

Thanks for your continued informational input, though. You really are a fount of all the latest data.

Best,
LittleWing77
Old 06-07-2020, 01:16   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam8989 View Post
I am heading over to live for a month in Canada to sail (I already applied for tourist visa through https://visa-canada.info). Can anyone offer some information on if this is possible in either of the above. Also as I won't have a boat, any yacht clubs you know that are looking for crew on a regular basis and welcome short term members.

I sailed a lot as a child and after 8 years living in land locked cites I would love to get back on the water to LIVE MY LIFE
Sorry, Sam,

The Canadian border is closed. Please don't come to Canada and attempt to violate the border closure. I hear they are imposing fines "up to $1,000,000" (that's a wide variation, I know, I have no idea how the fines scheme is being applied).

There are plenty of places you can go sailing in you own country and LIVE YOUR LIFE.

Just NOT in Canada.
LittleWing77

Tags
boat, boating, great lakes