Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2020, 12:18   #1

Boat: Rafiki 37
Canadian boating - Great Lakes and Atlantic region

Since we lost the recent thread on Ontario marinas I thought I'd try again, but with a somewhat expanded scope. We can use this thread to note impacts on boaters for this region.

Ontario just reissued its of essential services. Recreational marinas are definitely NOT on them. The only marinas that can be open are:

Quote:
21 (c). marinas, but only to the extent that the marina is necessary to enable individuals to access their primary place of residence.
All locks in the St. Lawrence Seaway are closed to recreational traffic. There is no timeline placed on this restriction.

Lets try not to get into a pissing match about how to respond to this crisis -- we can do that on other threads.
Old 03-04-2020, 12:22   #2

Re: Canadian boating - Great Lakes and Atlantic region

So where is your boat and what are you planning to do this coming cruising season?
Old 03-04-2020, 12:35   #3

Hi Mike, hope you are fairing well up north. Snowing here today. Keeps the crowds down at the beach and marina.

Reference website which home page has been retitled: Explore BC... Later.

That rewording of the previous welcoming kind of sums things up tidily.

https://www.hellobc.com/what-you-need-to-know/

Snipets:

Last Updated: March 22, 2020 at 1:00 PM PST

Like you, we’re passionate about exploring BC. But now is not the time to travel. Please stay home and follow the advice of health authorities.

Do your part now, so we can all explore BC again later. In the meantime, find the official links below for the most up-to-date information.

Canada will deny entry to travellers who are not Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents. Some exceptions apply.

Suspended visitor services to all Parks Canada sites, including its national parks, national marine conservation areas and historic sites.
All Canadians are strongly recommended to avoid non-essential travel outside Canada, including to the US. Anyone who chooses to travel outside Canada must self-isolate for 14 days on their return.

Looking forward to the day the USA - Canadian border can be reopened to non-essential travel.
Old 03-04-2020, 15:52   #4

Thanks guys. We're well up here in Ottawa. I'm staying with my sister through all this. Unfortunately our boat is in Newfoundland. That province has a mandatory 14-day quarantine for all newcomers, even those who travel from within Canada. And I really doubt our marina is open anyway.

So I don't think there's any way I can get to the boat right now. At this point I can't even predict when I might be able go there. I'm beginning to wonder if we're going to have any season at all.
Old 03-04-2020, 16:26   #5

Mike:

Copied from another CF thread.

Re: Canadian Flagged Vessels Entering US from Bahamas

The St. Lawrence Seaway opened Wednesday April 1.
It is closed to recreational boat traffic.
The lock bypass gates for small vessels are closed at Iroquois.
The Welland Canal between Lakes Ontario and Erie are closed to recreational boat traffic.

Reference:

https://greatlakes-seaway.com/wp-con...0200326_en.pdf

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-231858-3.html

2020 – Pleasure Craft Bulletin #01
MONTREAL / LAKE ONTARIO SECTION
WELLAND CANAL SECTION
Pleasure Craft Lockages Suspended at Canadian Locks until Further Notice
Effective immediately, all pleasure craft lockages in the St. Lawrence Seaway are suspended.
This suspension applies to both the Montreal / Lake Ontario section and the Welland Canal section of the Seaway.
The suspension of pleasure craft lockages reflects the need to minimize all non-essential
interactions between Seaway personnel and members of the general public during the COVID-19 crisis.
The SLSMC has put in place a series of measures to ensure the continuity of operations on the St. Lawrence Seaway for both domestic and ocean vessels. These measures are designed to maintain an efficient transportation corridor into and out of the heartland of North America, ensuring that vital goods can reach their destinations.
Pleasure craft will be advised, through a bulletin, when the above situation will return to normal.
Old 03-04-2020, 18:52   #6

Yes, that's it. Thanks Montanan. How's the snow? I' reminiscing of recent days gone past when all I had to worry about was shoveling snow from the latest dump. Ah, the good old days .
Old 03-04-2020, 19:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Yes, that's it. Thanks Montanan. How's the snow? I' reminiscing of recent days gone past when all I had to worry about was shoveling snow from the latest dump. Ah, the good old days .
We had a blizzard on April 1st, my wedding anniversary day and squally weather since. Six to eight inches piled up and now has melted and the grass is greening. Since we were under Stay At Home order, we didn't bother to venture out so no shoveling was required and there was no plowing of the streets, but then we often don't plow the streets when it isn't a school day. It has been an extremely warm winter. Flathead Lake did not get any icing except around the edges, whereas last year if froze completely over for the first time in 33 years. The Montanan's for Global Warming Society were much pleased with the progress made year over year.

I see that since there are so few people traveling across the rural border stations with Canada that they are cutting back the hours of operation with some closed for weekends. It used to be that meant they would put an orange traffic cone in the road lane when the border agents went home. Homeland Security being taken very seriously along the 49th Parallel.

I'm thinking of heading to Costco in Kalispell, it should not be very busy what without the Canadians coming down to shop due to no sales tax or VAT in Montana, albeit the C$ to US$ exchange is not favorable. The loonie getting weakened with the fall in oil prices. Need to stock up on 1 gallon of 40% cream for our coffee.

Our State lockdown has now been extended until April 27th and I suspect will likely continue further into late May, or perhaps early June as that is the projected slowing of COVID-19 if social distancing remains until the end of May. If social distancing eases then the infection rate could bounce beyond the hospital capacities to handle.

Our Governor just ordered a two week self quarantine for anyone that returns or enters Montana and has asked that no visitors come to the State, but has not banned visitors. So that means the State's recent tourist promotion logo has gone from:

Get Lost in Montana

to

Get Lost. Don't come to Montana!
Old 04-04-2020, 05:09   #8

All operations by Parks Canada are closed indefinitely. This includes the Trent-Severn and Rideau Canals, as well as the Thousand Islands National Park.

Quote:
All Parks Canada facilities are temporarily closed, all visitor services and all motor vehicle access by visitors are suspended until further notice.
Old 04-04-2020, 05:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
The Montanan's for Global Warming Society were much pleased with the progress made year over year.

Get Lost in Montana
to
Get Lost. Don't come to Montana!
Montanan,

You are an absolute hoot. Best laugh-out-loud I've had all week!

LittleWing77
Old 04-04-2020, 05:49   #10

I guess we're all Montanians now with our messaging to "others". Even Newfoundland's tourism website is saying:

Quote:
"COVID-19 UPDATE: For now, discover the stories and storytellers of this place (from your home). Please follow the advice of health authorities, so you can come and visit our home in the future."
Old 04-04-2020, 06:40   #11

I heard a feature on CBC Radio this morning about entertaining signs around town and that stores have been posting in their windows. This is a tag I saw on April Fools' Day:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200402_0744596.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	211974  
Old 04-04-2020, 08:22   #12

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

The 700 slip marina in Toronto is closed until further notice as is our club and at least 5 others .We may not launch this year .
Old 04-04-2020, 08:31   #13

Spring Break 2020 - Montanans for Global Warming Society.
Totally not practicing proper social distancing, nor limiting travel to essential purposes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mfgw.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	211983  
Old 04-04-2020, 08:37   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
Spring Break 2020 - Montanans for Global Warming Society.
Totally not practicing proper social distancing, nor limiting travel to essential purposes.
Great pic...looks like it was taken in the 60's
Old 04-04-2020, 08:40   #15

Mike:

If you can't travel to New Foundland, you can at least livestream binge watch their webcams.

http://http://ntv.ca/web-cams/

Newfoundland Highway Webcams - NL Cams

P.S.: Not being a Canadian, and not knowledgeable about Canadian history I have been left wondering exactly where is Old Foundland, the namesake place of New Foundland. I know where the namesakes are for New York, New England, New Jersey, New Hampshire.

Tags
boat, boating, great lakes