Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2020, 06:26   #1

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Best way to get the boat back from FL to New england

We live in RI and I was keeping my boat in St. Augustine for the winter. I was down there 3 weeks ago for few days. My plan was to take first week in may to bring it back to RI.
What are other folks that are from northeast and were keeping their boats in FL planing to do?
Go ealry before FL demands self quarantine for anyone comming in ?
Drive down to avoid airports and possibly catching it on an airplane?
Wait it out until we are on the other side of the virus curve?

phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 06:51   #2

Re: Best way to get the boat back from FL to New england

Have you considered hiring a delivery captain to reposition her?

BVIbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 07:42   #3

Boat: Tayana FD-12

That's a tough choice. Its hard for me to part ways with 10K in these times. Im fortunate I still have the job.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2020, 07:55   #4

The boat will wait patiently for your eventual arrival; it can remain in Florida. Stay at home, do not travel except for truly essential purposes [groceries, medicine, acute medical care]. Nothing about a recreational boat is essential during a pandemic. Be patient so as to not become a patient.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 09:02   #5

If it were me, I would rent a car and drive in May. There is no feasible way for FL to close its borders other than to the Keys where there is only one road. The next 2-3 weeks should make it clear how long the virus will be around in various places. I've been on our boat in Ft Pierce for a month, with just occasional trips to the grocery store, and dingy rides for a change of scenery. Onboard is a very safe place to be.
Jackz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 09:05   #6

Please beware that the FHP and FDOT have set up inspection at the border for all out of Florida folks wanting to get into FL. Focus is on cars / residents of CT, NY and NJ.

I'd wait it out until we are on the other side.

If you need someone to check on the boat I live in Jacksonville and am happy to take a look.
tschanze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 09:39   #7

i'd fly to florida wearing a mask out of an abundance caution and then get in the gulf stream and head home.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 09:55   #8

Boat: Tartan 3000

Catch a flight from an area without many cases yet. Safer for you and less hassle upon arrival
Larry Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 10:00   #9

I have the same dilemma, except our boat is a little farther north in SC. For insurance purposes, we need to be above Hatteras by end of June. In addition to obvious health risks and social responsibility, we are concerned about not finding a marina slip that can accommodate our large beam (24.5 ft for our cat). We had been planning to be aboard in the summer on the eastern seaboard and start a cruise down to the carribean next nov/dec. Now, that trip and plans are in question, so we are trying to figure out options. We'd welcome any ideas.
AdaPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 10:16   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

In a similar situation. My boat is in Green Cove Springs (about 30 minutes from St Augustine if you need someone to check on yours) and I have been keeping it in New England for the summers to get away from hurricanes (had to ride out two in FL in the last few years) and because my daughter and family live there.

If I move the boat back north this year (planned cruise to Europe is a no go) I would do this.

- If you have to get to FL you should drive, sleep in the car and use gloves when you pump gas or get food (bring food if you can).

- Once you get to FL top off the tanks and sail north use the motor as little as possible so you don't have to fuel up.

- Anchor out, avoid marinas and avoid ANY contact until you get home.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 10:20   #11

Boat: FP, Eleuthera 60

get to your boat (fly/rent a car), get on the Gstream and get home, if you pick the right weather window it's an easy sail. otherwise be ready to keep your boat in Fla. then storm season and haul out.
MIRELOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 10:50   #12

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

I been hearing most marinas along the Eastern Seaboard are not open or not accepting any new boats. Fuel is hard to come by right now as they have no one working the fuel docks. I would sit it out for a while and check development in a few weeks.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 10:55   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 40

This is not trivial. The boat may well wait patiently for you on the bottom. I have a boat in Florida and live in Maryland. The boat was purchased there in January. It's in the water. I never intended to leave it for long before corona hit. There's a 90 day limit in Florida waters if registered in another state. Under certain conditions that can be renewed. I don't know how well it's enforced generally or if the limit is relaxed now. I don't believe there is a limit if the boat is stored on land. Another option for transport is trucking but certainly it's not inexpensive. I intend to sail north when it warms up some but I have some refitting to do before heading out. I intend to drive to Florida as I'll need my tools and transport while there. And, I've hated air travel long before corona. I can always sell the car when I leave. I'll be as isolated driving my car and working on my boat as staying at home. Marinas are classified as essential businesses in Florida.
vpbarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 10:57   #14

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

You are probably too late to avoid quarantine. Might sneak in on a flight from Maine but certainly not from Boston or NYC. You will probably need to do some extra planning so you know fuel, water and grocery availability for the necessary stops. My guess is that things will open up late May or June.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2020, 11:03   #15

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackz View Post
If it were me, I would rent a car and drive in May. There is no feasible way for FL to close its borders other than to the Keys where there is only one road. The next 2-3 weeks should make it clear how long the virus will be around in various places. I've been on our boat in Ft Pierce for a month, with just occasional trips to the grocery store, and dingy rides for a change of scenery. Onboard is a very safe place to be.
There may be some back roads to avoid border check points but you certainly will not know them. There are only a few major roads over the border unless you swing to the west and join those fleeing New Orleans.

Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, England, new england