Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2020, 14:02   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 37
Baja HaHa 2020

Is there anybody out there with plans to join the (tentative) Baja HaHa rally this year. Traditionally leaving in early November, the rally's organizers are holding off on announcements until October pending the COVID-19 crisis.

I am in the planning phase of sailing this route regardless of the rally and wonder if anyone else is having the same thoughts.

Based on my understanding, the border is still open to cruisers and I expect that we will be able to clear customs and immigration. Considering the great uncertainties involved, I would love to hear from others on the topic.

Cheers!
Old 29-07-2020, 14:22   #2

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II
Re: Baja HaHa 2020

In texting with friends in La Paz, BCS is re-closing restaurants, etc due to a surge in Covid19 infections. It might be a little dull in Cabo, etc with public venues shut down.
Old 29-07-2020, 14:58   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

The situation, as AndyEss said, is fluid and one of the reasons the Haha is in flux. I've done it three times and plan to do it again but not this year. The group gatherings are what make it so special and I doubt they will occur. But you can wait. They say they can ramp up in thirty days. If everything opens up (including your comfort with group gatherings) I highly recommend it. I'd guess this year will be a skinny one for them.
Old 29-07-2020, 15:20   #4

Boat: Hunter Legend 37

Thanks for the replies. While I imagine that the bars in Cabo and the anchorages on the way would indeed be highlights under normal circumstances, they are not the drivers for our planned voyage, especially given the virus. The social aspects of the HaHa will be missed.

Alternatively, I am looking forward to the passage and the quiet anchorages in the Sea of Cortez. With that, my concerns are mainly administrative. Has anyone heard of any formal announcements regarding customs/immigration/visas?

Additionally, if there were others going around this time period, I would be interested in buddy-boating for safety.
Old 29-07-2020, 15:57   #5

If you are going anyway and want to check in in ensenada, contact Michelle Aguilar. She can assist with TIP and paperwork including workarounds if possible.

WhatsApp is always best in Mexico.

+1 619-305-9385
Old 10-08-2020, 11:38   #6

Yeah. I believe that a viable vaccine roll out will make normal events like the Ba Ha Ha possible.

The current development for Covid-19 vaccine is in the final phase 3 trials for four such candidates. This aims at establishing effectiveness.

Once that’s achieved, then comes vaccine production and distribution.

Health care workers are expected to receive it first. The winter months, beginning with December, appear to be when ordinary people will get a shot, at the earliest.

Therefore, this fall is definitely out. But if waiting for the December-January-February window is possible, then maybe then it is doable.
Old 10-08-2020, 16:10   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

vaccine isnot a cure. nor is it a cure-all..see influenza a and all other viruses vaccines were allegedly made to allegedly cure. they didnt and donot work, do they. the alleged vaccine being pushed for this one has not been tested.
face it--viruses havent cures. they have treatments. when an appropriate treatment is blocked for no good reason, there is an issue.it is not about the virus it is deeper, and it is international, truly pan planetary.
so. await snake oil or go out and about.
if you coming to mexico donot fail to provide many masks for self and family/boatmates. hand sanitizer. soap and water and disinfectant surface wipes. as these items are not able to remain in stock, bring many spares.. also donot fail to research the situation in the areas in which you expect to be cruising. some places donot like strangers in their area bringing infection and litter issues. remember we are a danger to the abuelas of the regions.
so..... happy cruising.
places are visitable but not able to provide landings for ye
Old 10-08-2020, 16:47   #8

Fauci said last weekend it could be the end of next year, 2021, before everyone recieved the vacine. Might want to hold off on thos January plans.
Old 10-08-2020, 17:21   #9

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Did the Ha-Ha last year. Spent time talking to Richard in Cabo. This was after the so called hurricane/tropical system hit Cabo. It was not bad as weather goes but a couple of weeks later another system developed and went up a little way into the SOC. While Richard and I agreed the tropical systems were way out of the ordinary there seems to be some strange weather going on. On the way down several peeps said it was shocking how green the vegetation was on the Baja.

Not saying it will happen this year, just that I would normally be heading to the Bahamas this season but likely will wind up sheltering in place due to not just COVID-19 but as important how COVID-19 has changed travel as we know it.

Tags
baja