Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2020, 06:21   #1
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Australia - Gimme back my boat!

My USCG registered boat is in Australia, but I am not (I left just before COVID-19 to reset my 3 month stay). The Australian border force says that I can't fly back in to pick up my boat, even though I have a multiple entry visa that is valid through this October. I applied on their website for an exception based on "compelling or compassionate" reasons to travel to Australia , but I have just been turned down. Various websites seem to indicate that Australia is not going to open their borders anytime soon to non-Australians. By the time they re-open the border, there probably won't be any airlines left flying....

1. Anyone got any ideas on how to get my home(boat) back?
2. Has anyone had any success appying for the "compelling or compassionate request to travel to Australia" process? If so, what worked?

TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 13:32   #2

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Australia - Gimme back my boat!

If there any of the tropical island nations that are allowing furriners in, you might have the boat delivered there and pick it up.

You could try and appeal the decision though it sounds like you've exhausted the appeal route.

Covid is going to be around till there's a viable vaccine or enough people get infected to give immunity. Closing borders just prolongs the pain. Even small island nations like New Zealand haven't been able to eradicate the disease.

roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 13:51   #3

Boat: Trident Challenger- 35 feet

You have our sympathies, as we were caught in the same predicament with our boat in NZ and ourselves in the UK.
In the expectation that our re-entry into NZ was probably going to be a year away, our way out of the situation was to import and sell the boat; we'll hopefully buy a replacement when the world's seaways re-open.
Old 30-07-2020, 13:55   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

TabbyCat you might just have to keep snoozing in the sun until this is all over. I can't see a delivery crew working unless they are wanting to leave Australia and head to their own country?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 18:28   #5

Boat: Herreshoff 36

You should talk to an Australian based visa agent, they might be able to help. The online forms will just bounce back 'Computer says, no.'
Old 30-07-2020, 18:46   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

I'm in the same situation, except it's all within my own country. My boat is in Newfoundland, but they continue to bar all non-residents. I've abandoned cruising for this season. Hopefully next...
Old 30-07-2020, 19:00   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

Big place Australia, where is the boat situated?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 19:11   #8

Boat: 32í Sloop

Looks like youíre going to have to find better exemption

What do you do for work? As the saying goes the spice must flow, Iíd wager there are economic/business exemptions you might be able to find to get into that place.
IslandInfedel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 21:59   #9

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat

Option 1: Find some experienced non-Australians to move your boat to a country that allows you to fly in. I don't believe that Australian's can leave apart from particularly well defined reasons (defence, diplomats, etc).

Option 2: Ship her back on one of the averagely infrequent shipping routes. Then she'll be much closer and your pocket much lighter.

I don't think you're going to get an option 3...
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 22:01   #10

Boat: Santa Cruz 52, Beneteau 40.7

Where would you take it if you could get it out? Why not consider hiring a captain/ few crew to sail it to a country thatíll let both of you in? Of course, that list is short and highly variable these days. Good luck!
Sailor279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 22:53   #11

The guidance from the US Department of State remains the same as it was in March. Do Not Travel. I don't see anything on the horizon that will change that recommendation.

Perhaps if there is a safe and effective vaccine deployed, one might be able to enter Australia say middle of next year. A definite maybe, that.

As of last week the list of countries where Americans can travel to without restrictions is very short [for good reason given our Covid-19 epidemic] but getting to most of them is problematic what with the scarcity of flights.

Open to US citizens

Albania
Dominican Republic
Kosovo
Maldives
Mexico
North Macedonia
Serbia
Tunisia
Turkey

Open with restrictions to US citizens

Of keen issue with the countries requiring negative Covid-19 test results is that is very hard to have tests done and attain the results in a timely manner in the USA; commonly there are long backlogs in receiving test results to avail travel, and / or even to have the results be actionable by the individual, e.g., so as to determine to self isolate.

Antigua and Barbuda
Negative Covid-19 test result within 7 days
Aruba
Negative Covid-19 test result within 72 hours for travelers from 24 US states
Barbados
Negative Covid-19 test result within 72 hours
Belize
Declaration of no Covid-19 symptoms 72 hours
Bermuda
Negative Covid-19 test result within 5 days + $75
Cambodia
Negative Covid-19 test result within 72 hours + $3,000 Covid-19 deposit
Croatia
Negative Covid-19 test not older than 48 hours presented on arrival
Ecuador
Mandatory 14 day quarantine and negative Covid-19 test result within 7 days
Egypt
Negative Covid-19 test result within 48 hours
French Polynesia
Jamaica
Travelers from New York, Florida, Arizona and Texas must have negative test result within 10 days
Rwanda
Arrival by private jet or charter only until August 1, then commercial flights will resume
St. Barts
St. Lucia
Negative Covid-19 test result within 7 days
St. Maarten
(Opens August 1 ó though subject to change)
St. Vincent and Grenadines
Covid-19 test on arrival with mandatory 24 hour quarantine while awaiting results
Tanzania
Covid-19 tests on arrival are possible
Turks and Caicos
(Opens July 22 with restrictions)
Ukraine
Download app, test upon arrival, 24 hours self isolation
United Arab Emirates
Only Dubai is open, all other Emirates are closed
United Kingdom
Self-isolate for 14 days
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 09:24   #12

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

I assume you are in the USA and if so you are likely to be locked in for the longest time. Only way out that comes to mind is if there is a country you can get to and quarantine for a period that will then allow you to go to OZ. At the moment they are closed to all foreign travelers but still worth keeping an eye on given that the USA is likely one of the last countries others will open there boarders to.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 10:24   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Post 9 may have an idea. I'm sure Australia has cargo coming and going. Shipping her deck cargo might be an option depending on her worth and how deep your pockets are.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 10:35   #14

I am in exactly the same situation: researched & researched and NONE of the suggestions mentioned earlier apply/will work. I have an option of previous OZ crew to take my boat and sail her out of OZ but there is virtually no other island in the area allowing the boat to come in.

Earlier this month I seriously considered (for a week or so) to ship her from BRISBANE to COSTA RICA, USA or EUROPE on an OCEAN carrier loading June 26, 2020. High cost but available ! But decided against as I still want to continue sailing the AUSTRALIA & NEW ZEALAND part of the SP. Not ready to be on anchor or hunt/compete every day by noon time for a mooring with 20 or 30 other boats in the CARIBBEAN and/or MEDITERRANEAN.
TDB1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 14:01   #15

Boat: S&S 38' Hughes

If you can get her to Fiji you should be right. Fiji accepts the time spent sailing as your time served in quarantine - so long as you don't make contact with anyone or stop into any other port on the way here - https://www.denaraumarina.com/wp-con...lue-Lane-1.pdf It is called the "Blue Lane" google it, loads of articles. You can fly in via New Zealand (Air New Zealand flies from LA to Auckland and then there is a flight to Nadi on a Thursday - you will need to transit in Auckland airport - otherwise you will liable for two weeks quarantine. Once in Fiji, you will need to spend two weeks in hotel quarantine or you may even be able to quarantine on your own vessel if you seek advanced approval. Once you are clear you have a 12 month visa to sail around Fiji that I also understand can be extended.

Mayaluga is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, boat