Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2020, 15:18   #16

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
Re: Australia - Gimme back my boat!

May I suggest - Accept it is lock down, there is no getting around the mind set of the autocrats. depending on where your boat is in Australia. I suggest you have it stored out of the water unless it is a wooden hull, until this is over. One year or season if you like. Good luck with a solution, the fact is no one can go anywhere, not you not me not anyone there are back packers with visas that have run out that can't leave Australia, that should tell you something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabbyCat View Post
My USCG registered boat is in Australia, but I am not (I left just before COVID-19 to reset my 3 month stay). The Australian border force says that I can't fly back in to pick up my boat, even though I have a multiple entry visa that is valid through this October. I applied on their website for an exception based on "compelling or compassionate" reasons to travel to Australia , but I have just been turned down. Various websites seem to indicate that Australia is not going to open their borders anytime soon to non-Australians. By the time they re-open the border, there probably won't be any airlines left flying....

1. Anyone got any ideas on how to get my home(boat) back?
2. Has anyone had any success appying for the "compelling or compassionate request to travel to Australia" process? If so, what worked?

kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 15:27   #17

Boat: Roberts 42' Spray Pilot House Ketch (Steely)

Mate, right now would be a bad time to apply, due to a couple of selfish, no brains, 19y.o girls flying up from Victoria to Brisbane then wandering around the city whilst knowing they had C-19, the States are going into lockdown. Victoria is locked down and is about to set more restrictions, Greater Sydney is locked out of Qld, the restrictions will get worse before getting better. Having said that, those already in Qld in their boats are enjoying the Whitsundays etc with full freedom.
Probably not what you want to hear, but maybe just sit tight where you are, maybe by Xmas the restrictions may be relaxed.

Bundyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 15:30   #18

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryg View Post
I suggest you have it stored out of the water unless it is a wooden hull, until this is over.

That's a MaineCat 41 and not just any old fiberglass but vinylester resin hull. The good stuff.
Old 31-07-2020, 18:10   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
I assume you are in the USA and if so you are likely to be locked in for the longest time. Only way out that comes to mind is if there is a country you can get to and quarantine for a period that will then allow you to go to OZ. At the moment they are closed to all foreign travelers but still worth keeping an eye on given that the USA is likely one of the last countries others will open there boarders to.
I'm in Panama.
TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 18:15   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandInfedel View Post
Looks like youre going to have to find better exemption

What do you do for work? As the saying goes the spice must flow, Id wager there are economic/business exemptions you might be able to find to get into that place.
Marine Insurance. But I'm not allowed to practice that profession in OZ due to licensing laws, just the USA.
Old 31-07-2020, 18:20   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What companies did you try? Dockwise? Sevenstar?
Where in Costa Rica do they deliver to?
Old 31-07-2020, 18:33   #22
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Post 9 may have an idea. I'm sure Australia has cargo coming and going. Shipping her deck cargo might be an option depending on her worth and how deep your pockets are.
Yes, shipping is moving in and out of Australia although the crews aren't.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 20:39   #23

Probably highly illegal ... but... food for thought. Sail from a port near Aus. that can be reentered on a local boat with local crew conditional on that boat not entering another country. Sail to OFFSHORE Australia to meet two boats from Aus. One boat, crewed by Aussies is yours. You board your own boat AT SEA, not in any country, and head off home or elsewhere. The crew off your own boat returns to Aus. on the second Aus. boat. They reenter Australia easily as they have not actually been "anywhere" out of Aus. OK. I am sure there are problems, but start with the premise that you are not going to enter Australia. The issue is that the Covid laws of various countries apply in that country but not necessarily at sea. I would certainly consult a lawyer before trying this! Might be a real adventure!
You could use locals or agents or friends for everything and not even be present for any of the swap overs. Risky!
There are some nearby places to Aus. but unfortunately they are mainly in the north. Timor, New Guinea, Indonesia (e.g. Saumlaki etc.). Don't assume that you or anyone , can sail a boat from one Aus. state to another; that may not be allowed or the rules may suddenly change if there is a lock down imposed again.

Sadly, Covid 19 appears to be with us for some time due to the vagaries/intransigence of human behaviour. So it may even be worthwhile talking to some boat brokers (aghh) in Australia, as selling the boat may be a better option. At least get a feel for the local market. The Aussie dollar is slowly improving against the US dollar if that is of any consideration.

Another possibility is that you still may be able to enter Aus. if you are prepared to pay for a pre-arranged 14 day lock down/isolation. Usually in a designated hotel room. Many $$'s. There would presumably be other conditions as well. I think you will also find that the conditions vary from state to state. Expect outrageous air line flight costs as well.
I don't think you would be prevented from actually leaving on your boat, but obviously that would be a basic requirement. It's a changing environment. Laws seem to change on a daily basis. However, I would suggest making an approach to the Aus. authorities and make it clear that you are prepared to go into isolation on their terms.

"compelling or compassionate reasons " will not touch any heart strings. Being "cooperatively responsible" just might. We recently sent a gaggle of politicians to the US and they returned from there to Aus. and were OK if they met the 14 day isolation rules. Tell the authorities that you are prepared to wear a GPS tracker! Best of luck.
billgewater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 20:51   #24

Boat: MacGregor Venture 25

We can take my Vanguard 33 and go get your boat. Of course I'll need to get paid something but I'm not scared. Let's go!
killyourguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 21:45   #25

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Where in OZ is your boat,
We cant leave Victoria, Borders closed, And its going to get tougher,
Thats why Im stuck here, Still,
12 Nmiles off shore is International Waters,
There are no restrictions in International waters,
14 days at sea is self Isolation,
Carry food for 3 months, Precautionary,
Food for thought,
Best of luck with it,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 21:53   #26

Location: Boat in Puerto Lucia, Ecuador, Body in SE Australia, Heart in Patagonia....
Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
I'm in Panama.
I'm in Australia... my boat is in Ecuador... want to swap?
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:09   #27

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

Australians cannot leave Australia, prohibited by the Government. Non-Australians not permitted in except for very limited reasons, one of which will not be to get your boat. You will need to wait, simple and only answer to your question.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:29   #28

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

You probably don’t want to here this; but have you explored the option of selling your boat in Oz and buying something where you are, or back in the states? Oz could remain locked down for a looong time.

Ilenart
ilenart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:50   #29

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

A Maine Cat 41 is worth around $275,000 to $350,000 US so around $385,000 to $490,000 Aussie bucks. Is there a market for these there? Just wondering.
Old 01-08-2020, 11:39   #30

Boat: CT 49, 1989

Quote:
I'm in Panama.
I assume you mean Panama, Central America, not Panama, Florida?

I am Aussie, and work with other Aussies that cant get to work for their shifts, so others of us can rotate out for break.

I live and have my boat in Panama (hence the handle), Pacfic side. Panama is locked down, so I have been stuck at work in Pakistan since Feb. No end in sight.

Sorry no answer for you, but I feel your pain.

Q Xopa is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, boat