Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2020, 12:21   #1

A bit of madness...........

There is no better "self quarantine" than an extended ocean voyage, yet now if you show up at a number of foreign ports you will be subject to a 2 week onboard quarantine.... Never mind that you just sailed for 30-45 days.........
I can understand the need to protect your population from pestilence..... aircraft bring people in in a matter of hours, cruise ships are veritable floating petri dishes,, but a yacht, having been at sea for a month, offers zero risk.... if there was disease aboard, it would have been spread to all crew members long ago..... This is pure irrational paranoia!

H.W.

owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 12:31   #2
rbk

Boat: T37
Re: A bit of madness...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post
There is no better "self quarantine" than an extended ocean voyage, yet now if you show up at a number of foreign ports you will be subject to a 2 week onboard quarantine.... Never mind that you just sailed for 30-45 days.........
I can understand the need to protect your population from pestilence..... aircraft bring people in in a matter of hours, cruise ships are veritable floating petri dishes,, but a yacht, having been at sea for a month, offers zero risk.... if there was disease aboard, it would have been spread to all crew members long ago..... This is pure irrational paranoia!

H.W.
Crew member A has it upon leaving port (2 weeks from day 1); crew member B contracts it one week in (2 weeks from day 7); crew member C contracts it one week after crew B contracted it (2 weeks from day 14); and last let crew member D contracts it form crew C one week after they contracted it (2 weeks from day 21). So now with only four people we have a possible transmission range of 35 days. You dissembark after your 28 day crossing and infect an entire island. This also assumes that transmission is only limited to 14 days with no hibernation or inactive carrier capability (unknown about covid 19 at this point). Infectious diseases have been transmitted around the glide by ship for hundreds of years.

rbk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 12:41   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Better very very safe than sorry -- just relax this will pass too -
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 12:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by owly View Post

H.W.

No, no paranoia. Safety. If you arrive at port, I donít care about your version of events and cannot verify them. If you arrive, quarantine for 2 weeks for the safety of the rest. Simple.
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2020, 12:53   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Add to that, that when one makes laws, they have to be simple to enforce. The more complicated the law it, the harder on the enforcers. And remember, the enforcers are among those most likely to get infected and carry it home to their families while they are incubating it.
Old 25-03-2020, 13:07   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post
No, no paranoia. Safety. If you arrive at port, I donít care about your version of events and cannot verify them. If you arrive, quarantine for 2 weeks for the safety of the rest. Simple.
Agree. Simple and effective. It also relieves already overloaded officials from having to hash thru every unverifiable story presented to them...and I suspect they are getting some doozies right now.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 09:39   #7

So, did you tie up to another boat offshore? Can you prove that you didn't. I understand that you know what you did or did not do but not everyone is responsible or truthful.
ramitt0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 09:43   #8

14th century Venetians wanted 40 days of isolation, whence the word "quarantine". May be they knew something we've forgotten?
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 09:53   #9

Boat: Hunter 34

Actually, the problem is not that you are being quarantined for two weeks, it is that all the travel on airplanes and floating massive petri dishes were not right from the get go.

As a surgeon I read a lot about plague hx when I was younger, including the Spanish Flu epidemic, because of my intense interest in medical history, and I told my wife when I heard of the first cases in Washington state that they out to immediately shut things down and quarantine that which was in progress. I know it's awful to say that given how it would have affected the people involved, but I think that all those people who died just yesterday in New York would completely agree, as well as those who are going to die because what had to be done was deemed unnecessary and "over-reacting." Even the authoritative heavy-handedness of the Chinese government did not prevent widespread mortality and alarm bells should have gone off worldwide. Deep inside, I suspect that the worship of the almighty dollar and economy had much to do with the initial foot dragging.

I guess they didn't learn about the plague ships in the good old medieval days when ships were all quarantined in harbor (before they even knew what microbes were) when word of a plague got out.

Always repeating the same stupid mistakes, for the sake of convenience and economic interests.
ilanortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 10:08   #10

Boat: Baba 40

>> . Never mind that you just sailed for 30-45 days.........<<

Let me see if I’m following you. I get you’ve been isolated longer than the incubation period, but you’re complaining because you’ll have to remain onboard for two weeks after you arrive? Never mind the locals are trying to keep their own folks safe. I’d suggest you’re not all that special.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 10:18   #11

Boat: J/36

Article in the New York Times today about ship crews not being allowed off their vessels, regardless of port. Cargo: fine. People: no. No one seems to be all that special.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 10:18   #12

Boat: Hunter 34

We (I) can empathize for those of us who are open water sailors, but in the words of Hymen Rothstein in the Godfather movie:

"THIS.....is the life we chose..."

And by the way as a human being you are special.
Hang in there.
ilanortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 10:30   #13

I have to agree with the majority. The laws are there to protect the greatest number, and simplicity is essential. You're going to get thru this just like the rest of us. For me, this is holding up selling my house to buy my boat. But it will pass.
rwaldrop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 10:46   #14

ahhh,the snapping dog syndrome..
It's easy to identify the long time ocean
Sailor from the chicken harbour ," Professional
Bar Sailors".
Those that think and help,to those that
Throw their neighbour under a bus at the
Slightest provocation.
And BTW, it's a strong Flu,,no more.
So enjoy your sailing but don't sneeze on anyone.
Oh ! And HIGHFIELD are the wettest dinghy out
There,,I know, sorrowfully I have one.
mindsofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2020, 12:21   #15

An interesting array of very valid comments........... There is not much ground for arguing against these points........Though the recent one comparing it to flu is beyond absurd!!

owly is offline   Reply With Quote