Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2020, 07:56   #1

2020, Surveys, Covid, Trying to Shop

I'm in the US. What's the general feel about trying to buy a boat right now with all the silliness and regulations regarding travel? How would a survey happen? How can you look at a boat? How can I get to a boat to look at it, survey it, buy it, and use it? Obviously I could make a highly compromised decision, limit my selection and buy a boat in the US - that stinks.

Does anyone have a crafty idea of how to get a boat from Europe or further to the US? Are there any small countries that are not buying the paranoia and allowing people in? Could a European seller sail their boat to a intermediary island nation, where the transaction could take place and an American buyer could sail their new boat home? Any creative ideas?
larsfforsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 22:22   #2

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: 2020, Surveys, Covid, Trying to Shop

Not really creative but I completely blew off my plans to even consider a boat in the EU. I was considering a C36 to keep there during the hurricane season in Florida when cruising can be limited. I may wind up with a small tri like a C24 for day sailing but truth be told so much is closed down even in the US that I will likely simply play with my other toys and see what happens in the fall.

Making plans now seems like a fools errand to me. What happens if there is a second wave lots of the experts are predicting. Some states are limiting travel from other states which is also an issue to deal with. I suspect there will be a lot more disruptions in lots of areas; and no one really knows what will happen.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 22:30   #3
cruiser

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Meh, just do your thing, if I saw a good deal and was in the market nothing I’ve seen would really stop me, lots of exemptions for “essential”

Lots of folks just can’t afford all this anymore and many are more than willing to work, I’ve seen plenty of riggers, glass guys, etc working, I’d wager survey wouldn’t be too hard to find.

Regardless of “pandemic” as the saying goes “the spice must flow”, so under “essential” there isn’t too much you can’t do, just got to know how to phrase things
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 03:48   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tartan 33 and OPB
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsfforsberg View Post
I'm in the US. What's the general feel about trying to buy a boat right now with all the silliness and regulations regarding travel? How would a survey happen? How can you look at a boat? How can I get to a boat to look at it, survey it, buy it, and use it? Obviously I could make a highly compromised decision, limit my selection and buy a boat in the US - that stinks.

In St Pete the boat market is busier than ever. Surveys, sea trials, etc going forward- although a few of us have stopped doing sea trials.

If I was working with someone today, my counsel would be to televisit boats. FaceTime and WhatsApp are good tools. Also some surveyors and delivery captains will preview a boat for a small fee. If a boat passes those tests, then visit it.

QUOTE=larsfforsberg;3188860]

Does anyone have a crafty idea of how to get a boat from Europe or further to the US? Are there any small countries that are not buying the paranoia and allowing people in? Could a European seller sail their boat to a intermediary island nation, where the transaction could take place and an American buyer could sail their new boat home? Any creative ideas?[/QUOTE]

Getting a boat transatlantic is still possible and the delivery guys in Europe have that market since they can get into the US - but we canít get into Europe. The bigger obstacle is getting YOU into Europe to check out the boat. Unless you have a special connection, that will be an issue.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael -a link to my delivery website is in my profileó
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 05:16   #5

Boat: I can’t use epoxy. Please don’t suggest it. It can kill me. 50’ performance cat

It’s surveyors that will make this difficult. My boat keeps selling and hitting a road block of no surveyors available until late August.

If you can get the surveyor part figured out, you can get the rest of it figured out.
Chotu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 06:00   #6

I’m looking at two boats in the Caribbean fringe. One is new enough (2012) to get by with only marine engine inspection. Maybe two.

The other is years older - and I can’t rationalise a buy move without a survey, in that case. (Both with similar asking prices.)

If Florida and the Gulf are hot, that means I oughta get inline and wait until September-October to get a survey done — am I right?

Snore adds:
If I was working with someone today, my counsel would be to televisit boats. FaceTime and WhatsApp are good tools. Also some surveyors and delivery captains will preview a boat for a small fee. If a boat passes those tests, then visit it.

That’s possibly brilliant. Adaptive AND a time efficient move.

But I’m going to be stupid enough to search up an internet posted report or experience. Why not? I may learn what to expect - or better, what not to do!
Orson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:10   #7

Boat: Dehler 36 (sold)

To start with buying a boat in the US now is a terrible idea. Prices are very high for the same boats compared to Europe even though US dollar lost value in that last 2-3 weeks. There is a lot of free money/low interest and uneducated buyers in the US grabbing boats like there's no tomorrow.
On the other side of this pandemic there might be plenty of almost new used boats put into market by the owners who figured sailing might not be their cup of tea. Look at the amount of new sailor asking advice on this forum lately!
Charter business is down to zero and ripple effects of it did not hit the market yet. Some companies like Sunsail/Moorings still paying owners and buying new boats but many are about to bankrupt.
I'm looking at couple boats in Europe right now and thinking that come Sept/Oct prices will drop even further and even if travel starts by then season would be over and owners would not want to pay marina, maintenance,insurance anymore..
Be patient , timing is everything. I bought a boat in Europe before and it's not a complicated process.
Doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:19   #8

Boat: Dehler 36 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
In St Pete the boat market is busier than ever. Surveys, sea trials, etc going forward- although a few of us have stopped doing sea trials.

QUOTE=larsfforsberg;3188860]

Does anyone have a crafty idea of how to get a boat from Europe or further to the US? Are there any small countries that are not buying the paranoia and allowing people in? Could a European seller sail their boat to a intermediary island nation, where the transaction could take place and an American buyer could sail their new boat home? Any creative ideas?
Getting a boat transatlantic is still possible and the delivery guys in Europe have that market since they can get into the US - but we canít get into Europe. The bigger obstacle is getting YOU into Europe to check out the boat. Unless you have a special connection, that will be an issue.[/QUOTE]

European delivery crew stepping into US have to quarantine for 14 days and going back from US have to quarantine another 14 days. I don't know how much this is enforced but I don't see many deliveries being made now. As a US citizen there's no way legally, to go and take a look at the boat unless the boat is in UK where you can travel but self quarantine 14 days. The only place you can go and take a look at a boat in the Med is Turkey (without a quarantine).
Doubleplay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey