Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2022, 10:03   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
What’s better: Victron Cerbo GX or Raspberry with Venius OS, costs,setup,advantages

Hi All,

The Venus OS is the same as Gerbo GX. Seeking on advice what is better to get and what are the advantages, cost, setup between the 2
It’s to control my except Electrodacus BMS all Victron installation, replanning all for switch from 12 to 24, so right time to integrate the Cerbo/Venus too.

Just hardware:
A cerbo GX costs around 250Euro, has out of box BT,Wifi all the Ports you Need.

A raspberry pi 2 with case and powersupply is 100 but only 2 USB ports so you need adapters, USB hubs…that again is 70-100Euro to get all the connection the Cerbo GX. That gives you a cost advantage of 50-80Euro but know you need the time to put that all together. And have then a bunch of cables, boxes that’s not very Marine grade…in my eyes not worth the effort or do I miss something I can only do with the Pi?

For both you need then the cables to connect Victron gear.
Do I need the direct cables or can connect the MPPTs via BT, Need direct ports for remote control of Electrodacus BMS?

On software/programming side:
No difference as they are the same, mods from GitHub etc should work on both.
Again do I miss something ?
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 10:09   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: What’s better: Victron Cerbo GX or Raspberry with Venius OS, costs,setup,advantag

It depends on what features you want to take advantage of. For connection to MPPTs, you have to use hardwired VE.Direct. The Cerbo also comes with a bunch of temperature sensor ports, tank level sensor ports, etc. that may drive your decision if you care to use those features.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 10:29   #3

Re: What’s better: Victron Cerbo GX or Raspberry with Venius OS, costs,setup,advantag

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
It depends on what features you want to take advantage of. For connection to MPPTs, you have to use hardwired VE.Direct. The Cerbo also comes with a bunch of temperature sensor ports, tank level sensor ports, etc. that may drive your decision if you care to use those features.
The cerbo GX has BT but you cannot connect the BT Smart VE-direct gear like MPPT, you Need to use the hardwire connection, really?

For 50-80Euro cost difference and spare myself all the setups plus a marine grade casing I tend towards the Cerbo GX anyhow. Just wanna no what downsides or limitations I have compared to a raspberry pi Venus OS setup.
Old 17-12-2022, 10:46   #4

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
The cerbo GX has BT but you cannot connect the BT Smart VE-direct gear like MPPT, you Need to use the hardwire connection, really?

For 50-80Euro cost difference and spare myself all the setups plus a marine grade casing I tend towards the Cerbo GX anyhow. Just wanna no what downsides or limitations I have compared to a raspberry pi Venus OS setup.

Correct. Bluetooth on both the MPPTs and the Cerbo is meant for connection to the phone app, but they've never provided the ability to link devices to a Cerbo / Venus OS device over Bluetooth (even though it would be theoretically possible).

I don't think there's much downside to using the Cerbo over a RPi. I've had a Cerbo on my boat for about 2 years at this point (with the GX touch 50 display) and I've been happy with it. It does what it needs to and everything just works.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 10:14   #5

Boat: Ericson 27

I was looking at the same question as you, and in the end I went with the cerbo. After adding the rs485 interface for controlling the multiplus, the can bus interface to communicate with my bms, Wakespeed, and nmea2000 network, 3 VE.Direct interfaces, and a touchscreen,plus the resistive tank sender input, the cost differential was basically nil.

Plus, factoring the time value of money and the fact that I didn’t want to be basing my system on a science fair project, the Cerbo was the obvious choice.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2023, 11:20   #6
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45

I have both Raspberry Pi that is connected to NMEA 2000 and Cerbo GX. Definitely Cerbo GX, Raspberry Pi doesn't end up to be any cheaper when you add all bells and whistles, 12V/24V to 5V downconverter, NMEA module etc.

If you have Cerbo GX, you can do a lot more than using it to monitor your power systems too, as it is a powerful platform. See Victron Cerbo GX on Steroids
Old 18-03-2023, 14:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenedos View Post
I have both Raspberry Pi that is connected to NMEA 2000 and Cerbo GX. Definitely Cerbo GX, Raspberry Pi doesn't end up to be any cheaper when you add all bells and whistles, 12V/24V to 5V downconverter, NMEA module etc.

If you have Cerbo GX, you can do a lot more than using it to monitor your power systems too, as it is a powerful platform. See Victron Cerbo GX on Steroids
I like cerbo on steriods :-)
Thats actually my plan too. Just have to solve to integrate my 2 Studer inverter/charger into the victron environment. Much more versatile and flexible then the Victrons and they are beasts compared to them, the Studer 24/3500VA has 9kw peak for 5 sek per piece and uses the same toreodial transformator then Victron Quattro 24/5000. Engeneered and made 100% in Switzerland.

Yes the raspi got so expensive that Cerbo will turn out cheaper and much cleaner install.
The displays are quite expensive and small, can you connect other bigger displays that work like on raspi?
Old 18-03-2023, 14:16   #8

If you like to play with technology, then the Pi based system might be for you. There are limitless opportunities to fiddle.

If you want things to just work and be updated by other people, the Cerbo wins hands down. If you look deeper into the Cerbo, you’ll find lots of customization opportunities there too. For example I tweaked the logic on generator auto run in my Cerbo with the NODE-Red system.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2023, 14:19   #9
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
If you like to play with technology, then the Pi based system might be for you. There are limitless opportunities to fiddle.

If you want things to just work and be updated by other people, the Cerbo wins hands down. If you look deeper into the Cerbo, you’ll find lots of customization opportunities there too. For example I tweaked the logic on generator auto run in my Cerbo with the NODE-Red system.
I certainly like playing with tech and have developed a couple of utilities including boat utilities. Cerbo is actually quite impressive, it allows you to run Signal K (explained in above linked article), gives you SSH access etc. So you literally end up with a Unix system that is connected to your power system and boat network with an optional NMEA cable.
Old 18-03-2023, 14:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post

I was told cerbo gx and pi venus OS are 100% identical, all mods you can do on raspi work on cerbo gx too.
What i have no glue off are node red or signal k....
Old 18-03-2023, 15:59   #11
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Honestly what it is doesn't matter but what it enables does. You can get some cool stuff like wireless AIS for your tablet and phone, AIS relay station, weather station, anchor alarm, trip logger etc etc.
Old 18-03-2023, 17:23   #12

Cerbo GX was originally prototyped on Beaglebone Black Enhanced.

As far as prices, the Cerbo-S GX is currently $270, while the more featured Cerbo GX is $340 (US street prices). The S is lacking the BMS-Can port, tank level and temperature sensor inputs.

Currently Raspberry Pi's are virtually unavailable, with used prices on eBay upwards to $100 or more for a used $35 board. I agree, at current prices and availabiliy, it doesn't make sense to install Venus OS on RPi.

However, the Beaglebone greeen with wifi can be found new/open box for under $60. This is the same as black and has 4 USB ports, wifi and bluetooth. This eliminates the need for a USB hub, wifi adapter, etc. Installation seems similar to the RPi (copy image to SD card, reboot), though there's not as much documentation for the Beaglebone boards.

As far as I can tell, that's all I need at the moment; for $60, I'm going to give this a try. I already have VE.Direct USB adapters for my Victron solar MPPT controllers and BMV 702. If this works, to install on the boat, I'll need 12v-5v power supply ($10) and a case ($10).

Total cost less than $100.

I view this more as a proof of concept and an inexpensive way to get started and experiment with Venus OS without spending $300-$400. At the point Venus OS/Cerbo GX becomes a critical component for our cruising operations, I'll opt for the Cerbo GX!

Don
Capt.Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2023, 17:37   #13

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
I was told cerbo gx and pi venus OS are 100% identical, all mods you can do on raspi work on cerbo gx too.
Basically the Cerbo is a like a RPi with lots of well protected interfaces in a neat and tough package.

Once you add a few Ve.Direct connections, VE.Bus, N2K, ... the RPi becomes a mess of adapters and the price tag is comparable to a Cerbo.

I used the RPi onboard since I had it lying around. It's working OK, no problems. Exactly like my Cerbo is running my domestic solar system at home.

If I was to start again from scratch I'd use a Cerbo onboard, too.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 03:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
Basically the Cerbo is a like a RPi with lots of well protected interfaces in a neat and tough package.

Once you add a few Ve.Direct connections, VE.Bus, N2K, ... the RPi becomes a mess of adapters and the price tag is comparable to a Cerbo.

I used the RPi onboard since I had it lying around. It's working OK, no problems. Exactly like my Cerbo is running my domestic solar system at home.

If I was to start again from scratch I'd use a Cerbo onboard, too.
Problem on board/on boats is that temporarly solution become permanent ones...remembers me to do our solar arch right, just quickly nailed together so i can put the 1500W solar and replaced soon is now 3 years...it works so other stuff has priority on the neverending boat project list....
So Exactly what you are stating, i know it will become critical component of my system, so Don i just do it right from the beginning. and if you add to that you are a sailor means moving around and just finding,sourcing,picking up,assembling, to different ports....is pita and if you factor your time in that big pile of adapters,dongles with a raspi in a humid environment becomes a money pit.
Cerbo ordered...

I have 2 mini PC lying around since 2 years for the openCPN project that never got beyond sourcing parts...the wireless GPS mouse and NMEA to Wifi adapter serves now for Ipads with Isailor who can do all openCPN can do but much more comfortable...
But i cannot use them for VenusOS.
Old 19-03-2023, 06:39   #15

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2

Quote:
Cerbo ordered...

I have 2 mini PC lying around since 2 years for the openCPN project that never got beyond sourcing parts...the wireless GPS mouse and NMEA to Wifi adapter serves now for Ipads with Isailor who can do all openCPN can do but much more comfortable...
But i cannot use them for VenusOS.
You can replace the mini PC with the cerbo device running VenusLarge and it's signalK.
rabbi is offline   Reply With Quote