Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2021, 07:27   #1

Boat: 41' Lagoon 410
Voltage Drop

Hello everyone,

I'm having an issue with voltage drop at a high % of battery left. I'll get fine voltage at the top end, but when it hits about 75% capacity, I'll be down under 12v. The batteries charge and rest fine, but consistently drop voltage early.

Any thoughts?

AmpereTime 300ah x 2
Victron Solar Chargers
Magnum Inverter/charger.
WanderIVth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:36   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Voltage Drop

Hello Wander,

More information would be helpful. What is the battery chemistry (LiFePO4 I'm assuming) and age? When you say the voltage drops below 12v is this at rest or under load? How much load? Have you pulled cables to separate the batteries and checked them individually?
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:42   #3

Boat: Gallart 13.50 MS

It's a bad cell in one of the batteries. When you charge them that cell hits peak and stops passing current, so the rest won't charge completely.

Theoretically it could be an out of balance cell, but in a sealed battery it just means the whole battery is broken.
Corvidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 16:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
Hello Wander,

More information would be helpful. What is the battery chemistry (LiFePO4 I'm assuming) and age? When you say the voltage drops below 12v is this at rest or under load? How much load? Have you pulled cables to separate the batteries and checked them individually?
LiFePO4, yes.
Less than a year.
It's under load, but not much... maybe 5 amps. It's just the regular house stuff doing it's regular house stuff.

I've not hooked up the system with a single battery, no.
Old 08-12-2021, 16:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvidae View Post
It's a bad cell in one of the batteries. When you charge them that cell hits peak and stops passing current, so the rest won't charge completely.

Theoretically it could be an out of balance cell, but in a sealed battery it just means the whole battery is broken.
Thanks.
Old 26-12-2021, 13:00   #6

SOLVED:
This ended up being a settings issue on the charger. I purchased a new charge control unit with a lithium setting and the issue disappeared. Thank you all for your help.