Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2019, 08:00   #61
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Posts: 658
Re: Recommendations for Group 31 AGM replacement with LiFPO4

Firefly advocate here. I replaced my 9 year old lifeline bank with fireflies. No complaints and totally happy.

The fact that you can run these batteries down 80% and do partial recharge is the reason and not killing the battery is the reason I went for them.

Lifepo looks good, but the numbers dont add up and I am not a fan of a BMS. Sure the BMS will save the bank and potential faults from occurring, but adding that complexity to the ROOT of a tree is not something I want there.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 13:51   #62
Registered User
 
ranger58sb's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Maryland, USA
Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Posts: 4,939
Re: Recommendations for Group 31 AGM replacement with LiFPO4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
I replaced my 9 year old lifeline bank with fireflies.

Seems like a decent lifespan. How well (or not) did you treat them over those 9 years? Do you feel like you got your money's worth?

-Chris
__________________
Chesapeake Bay, USA.
ranger58sb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 13:59   #63
Senior Cruiser
 
newhaul's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: puget sound washington
Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Posts: 10,911
Re: Recommendations for Group 31 AGM replacement with LiFPO4

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Firefly advocate here. I replaced my 9 year old lifeline bank with fireflies. No complaints and totally happy.

The fact that you can run these batteries down 80% and do partial recharge is the reason and not killing the battery is the reason I went for them.

Lifepo looks good, but the numbers dont add up and I am not a fan of a BMS. Sure the BMS will save the bank and potential faults from occurring, but adding that complexity to the ROOT of a tree is not something I want there.
there is nothing wrong with a bms it is just the last line of defense against a person screwing up the battery a safety feature.

Built my bank and including the bms was ah for ah cheaper than ff 's and with properly set solar controller ( you have to set them for all battery specifics)
I fully expect to never need batteries ever again in my 40 or so remaining years on my boat.
__________________
Non illigitamus carborundum
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 16:50   #64
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Posts: 658
Re: Recommendations for Group 31 AGM replacement with LiFPO4

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
there is nothing wrong with a bms it is just the last line of defense against a person screwing up the battery a safety feature.

Built my bank and including the bms was ah for ah cheaper than ff 's and with properly set solar controller ( you have to set them for all battery specifics)
I fully expect to never need batteries ever again in my 40 or so remaining years on my boat.
Yup nothing majorly wrong with it if it does what it's supposed to and doesnt have a bug or fault. I still am not a fan of the potential of the BMS failing causing the bank to go down. I rather eliminate that complexity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Seems like a decent lifespan. How well (or not) did you treat them over those 9 years? Do you feel like you got your money's worth?

-Chris
The previous owner installed them. He abused the **** out of them the last 4 years and when i received the boat, they were toast(year ago). I would have about 4 hours of run time with just my fridge kicking on for about 15minutes every hour. Realistically I'd say 7 years is feasible without abusing (running down to 10% or so). I still dont understand why they did that considering the engine has dual alternators (170 + 80)...but alas that is what it is.
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
agm, men

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Link 2000 Replacement Recommendations SVKokopelli Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 15 29-05-2014 20:26
Life Expectancy Group 27 AGM Batteries Capt.Don Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 4 07-01-2011 12:09
How to Revive a Dead AGM Group 27 Battery ? velero Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 1 10-11-2010 08:14
Batteries: (2) Group 4D or (3) Group 31 ? Whimsy Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 1 25-08-2010 16:01
Singapore Recommendations - Standing Rigging, Bulkhead Replacement Maxi Racer Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 3 09-09-2009 05:50

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 23:59.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.