Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2021, 03:58   #1

Please review my high level schematic

Please review my high level schematic and comment any issues. I will use EVE 280Ah cells. One issue is with the Multiplus 12-1600VA as it is not connected through the BP-220, I was thinking of replacing the BP to a Blue Sea ML-RBS remote switch to be able to connect also the Multiplus to it? But will the internal relays in the REC BMS function with that? Any other suggestions?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf draft.pdf (248.2 KB, 123 views)
Aventyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 04:05   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Please review my high level schematic

my initial comment is that a 80A capable alternator being used via a 30A battery to battery charger isn't a good use of available capacity ( nor why that line carries a 60A fuse )

surely it would make more sense to equip the alternator which Li charging capacity and as a secondary effect charge the starter via DC DC convertor ( of smaller rating )

As a secondary point , Ive moved to high side sensing , so that I can determine net charge acceptance from each charging source .
Old 12-01-2021, 05:08   #3

An alternator of 80A only have an output of about 40A when running.
Victron also state that if use of the Orion Tr-smart 12-12 30A your alternator should be at least 100% larger capacity (60A). I do not think I will have any problems with the charge current from my alternator. Another option would be to install the Balmar MC-614 but I considered not to do that at this point.
60A fuse is the recommended by Victron on this.
Old 08-03-2021, 13:30   #4
rma

Boat: C&C 38

Re: MultiPlus disconnect

Victron states that the DVCC function of the Cerbo GX is compatible with 3rd party CANbus batteries. Using the REC-BMS with its CANbus communication protocol essentially makes your batteries fit that description right? If you use the DVCC function of the Cerbo, it should be able to tell the Multi to turn off its inverter function if the cells reach their low voltage disconnect threshold.

I don't have any experience with the REC-BMS, my system is all Victron but I wondered this as well. Read the Cerbo GX manual for a description of DVCC and its compatibility with CANbus batteries. In theory, it should work. Please let us know once you have your system set up. I'm sure many others would be curious to know if this works in the real world.

Otherwise, your diagram looks good. The only other issue I can see is the MultiControl panel. Victron says systems without a VE.Bus BMS can control the Multi through the GX device. Only when a system uses the VE.Bus BMS is the MultiControl needed with a GX device. The MultiControl is designed to be plugged into the VE.Bus BMS at the "remote panel" port. From the BMS, the VE.Bus cable runs into the AC detect, then the Multi, then the GX device. As VE.Bus is essentially CANbus, I'm not sure why the direction matters. Perhaps it has something to do with whether or not particular devices have internal CAN terminals.
rma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 00:15   #5

Hi, I will let you know when all is completed. The DMC is working ok with the Cerbo, but when this is installed I cannot switch operation modes (Charger Only, Inverter only or Off) on the Multi from the Cerbo remote control.

Tags
lease