Switched house batteries
Thought I would give a report on getting new lithium batteries
for my sailboat. We have a Hunter
460. My existing batteries were six Five year old Trojan T-105 six volt golf cart batteries for a house bank of 600 AH. My existing inverter/charger was a Xantrex Freedom 2000. I had two existing 235Watt solar panels
with TriStar 45A solar
I installed the following in January 2022 before cruising to the Bahamas
for two months.
1. Two Jita 300 AH lifep04 batteries
2. Magnum 3000 watt inverter/charger
3. Renogy 50 amp DC-DC charger
with MPPT solar
4. Renogy battery monitor
with 500A shunt
5. Two 300A power
buss bars for battery installation
6. New cables
7. 12v trolling motor
breakers as needed
8. I added two additional 200 watt solar panels
I installed the batteries per manufacturer instructions. Also after installation
I discharged each battery to 11V per manufacturer instructions and then charged them to 14.7V per manufacturer. The capacity recorded by the battery monitor
was 312AH for one battery and 313AH for the other. The voltage comparison between batteries from the manufacturer before discharge and after resting the batteries were virtually identical which indicated they were balanced.
I am very happy with the new installation. The batteries charged very quickly and it was nice that the voltage never dropped very much during use. During our two months in the Bahamas
our electrical consumption
1. 12V freezer
2. 30 gal per hour watermaker
for two hours every 4-5 days
3. Lights, charging
, toothbrushes, razor and batteries for tools.
kettle, Instapot and Ninja cooker. We had always used propane
in the past for cooking
and found out we had plenty of battery power
to use electric
with the new batteries. We used almost no propane
in two months- less than 10% of one 10lb tank.
5. Electric ice maker we run for about a half day every two to three days. We really like ice in our sundowners.
We did not have to run the generator
for the entire time we were in the Bahamas. The solar panels
and batteries supplied all of our power. Power from motoring was pretty inconsequential as we only used about 10-15 gal of diesel
while we were there.
In summary the batteries performed flawlessly and exceeded our expectations. The lowest we discharged them to was 33% after making a lot of water
one day and having the Instapot on most of the day. The next day was sunny and they came back up to 75%. The next day after that was sunny also and they came back up to 100%.