Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2020, 10:12   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom Mabru 40 open SF
Marine 12v air conditioning

I am planning to replace my AC air conditioning on my boat from 115v AC to 12v DC, the one we have in the Master is noisy run with the inverter and consume 65amps producing 7000BTU, we were able to see a manufacturer at the boat show">Miami boat show presenting a 12v military 7000 with touch screen and heat running on less than 30 amps including the pump, that unit was very quiet, 17 F differential between the air intake and the discharge, 380CFM.. what else should we ask this company, their reviews are excellent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	61A3C927-B342-494A-A49A-4080D211855B.jpeg
Views:	1044
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	209723  
170122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 15:04   #2

Boat: Oram
Re: Marine 12v air conditioning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabruteam View Post
I am planning to replace my AC air conditioning on my boat from 115v AC to 12v DC, the one we have in the Master is noisy run with the inverter and consume 65amps producing 7000BTU, we were able to see a manufacturer at the Miami boat show presenting a 12v military 7000 with touch screen and heat running on less than 30 amps including the pump, that unit was very quiet, 17 F differential between the air intake and the discharge, 380CFM.. what else should we ask this company, their reviews are excellent.
Ask them how much it costs (quote) fitted, Domestic household split system style air conditioners are easily the best cheapest option, not only do they (manufacturers) make millions of them every year they spend big mobs on r&d. Can fit yourself (it’s not rocket science) and can be run either through inverter or generator Cheers
Bunji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 18:59   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom Mabru 40 open SF

Thank you for the answer but where can I put it? On top of that my wife hates the Generator noise..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunji View Post
Ask them how much it costs (quote) fitted, Domestic household split system style air conditioners are easily the best cheapest option, not only do they (manufacturers) make millions of them every year they spend big mobs on r&d. Can fit yourself (it’s not rocket science) and can be run either through inverter or generator Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04D4706D-0C46-4AE0-9534-D4BBBD41F687.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	449.8 KB
ID:	209781  
170122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 19:14   #4
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

You need to search for marine air conditioners using “inverter technology”. There are at least two brands available in the US:
FRIGOMAR - MARINE REFRIGERATING, AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEMS, YACHT BOAT AIR CONDITIONERS, ICE MAKER

and

Inverter driven self-contained units 230V-50/60Hz VSD. Reverse cycle function
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 19:20   #5

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Thank you for the answer but where can I put it? On top of that my wife hates the Generator noise..
Would that be the same boat that has the multiple fridge's shown in the refrigeration thread?

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2020, 21:10   #6

Quote:
U mention going from 115 volt to 12 volt dc. Many people run a 2.5 kw split system ac from a 600 - 1000 amp/hr lithium battery bank through an inverter, If u don’t have room for a split go the old box style (Rac) and use one of these, Micro-air easy start 364, would u rather be hot and sweaty or listen to a super quiet honda 22i. Funny that When I tell the Better half she makes more noise than the generator Haha
Old 01-03-2020, 08:45   #7

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)

Mabruteam, maybe try this: Marine Air Conditioning Fort Lauderdale | Mabru Power Systems - Fort Lauderdale, FL | (888) 818-2814

???
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:00   #8

Boat: Riva 48

My take on boat air conditioning is that 12V does not work. You can design a good 12V compressor, may be even use a large fridge compressor, you need about 400 watts for a minimum size 5,000 BTU capacity, which means around 35A, yes manageable. However, these parts are not mass produced and expensive.

The cheap solution is to install a portable or window air conditioner in a locker!, route the exhaust air outside of the boat and make ducts to take air in and out of the cabin. The benefits here are low cost and low noise.

The proper solution is a a marine rated unit but installation is a pain and I have not seen any quiet units. It is just not possible to design a quiet sea pump that moves 6 gallons of water per minute or whatever the minimum cooling requirement is. You are better off moving air out of a locker instead.

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 10:12   #9
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
My take on boat air conditioning is that 12V does not work. You can design a good 12V compressor, may be even use a large fridge compressor, you need about 400 watts for a minimum size 5,000 BTU capacity, which means around 35A, yes manageable. However, these parts are not mass produced and expensive.

The cheap solution is to install a portable or window air conditioner in a locker!, route the exhaust air outside of the boat and make ducts to take air in and out of the cabin. The benefits here are low cost and low noise.

The proper solution is a a marine rated unit but installation is a pain and I have not seen any quiet units. It is just not possible to design a quiet sea pump that moves 6 gallons of water per minute or whatever the minimum cooling requirement is. You are better off moving air out of a locker instead.

SV Pizzazz
I linked to two brands of marine rated units that do all that. Key is to use the new inverter technology units, which isobar makes the new domestic units so silent as well (they are variable speed).
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 13:55   #10

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Swamp cooler will be all 12v. 12v pump, 12v fan.
If you can put Gel Packs from your freezer in the reservoir it will blow very cold air.
The longer it runs the cooler your boat will get.

Simple enough you can build your own.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 16:22   #11

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I linked to two brands of marine rated units that do all that. Key is to use the new inverter technology units, which isobar makes the new domestic units so silent as well (they are variable speed).
Thank you, I missed it. I found another interesting solution, looks good on paper but probably too small. It could make sense for a v-berth or the back cabin on a smaller boat. It is basically a 12V, inverter powered micro DC with 1,800 btu's at 10A which sounds approximately right. Sample cost $550 which means that with a distributor discount the price would be even lower.

https://www.rigidchill.com/micro-dc-aircon/#

I am not sure how much the inverter technology helps these small units as they will be operating at maximum rpm's anyway. Still, I do not think that one can beat the price performance of a small window unit ($150) installed in a locker and properly ducted (meaning four ducts, not one or two).
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 13:09   #12

Boat: Tartan 37C

This Micro DC Aircon looks very interesting. Have you conducted any additional research?
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 15:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Thank you, I missed it. I found another interesting solution, looks good on paper but probably too small. It could make sense for a v-berth or the back cabin on a smaller boat. It is basically a 12V, inverter powered micro DC with 1,800 btu's at 10A which sounds approximately right. Sample cost $550 which means that with a distributor discount the price would be even lower.

https://www.rigidchill.com/micro-dc-aircon/#

I am not sure how much the inverter technology helps these small units as they will be operating at maximum rpm's anyway. Still, I do not think that one can beat the price performance of a small window unit ($150) installed in a locker and properly ducted (meaning four ducts, not one or two).
1,800 btu’s = 0.5 kws ? Probably to small, absolutely
Old 25-04-2020, 03:28   #14

Do you guys realize that the OP is asking about the new Mabru DC air conditioner and that he IS the manufacture . Look at his name ,Team Mabru . Basically this is just an advertisement .
Whatta Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 03:58   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Whatta Life.
Thanks, for the heads up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatta Life View Post
Do you guys realize that the OP is asking about the new Mabru DC air conditioner and that he IS the manufacture . Look at his name ,Team Mabru . Basically this is just an advertisement .

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, marine