Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2020, 07:35   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401
Re: Marine 12v air conditioning

S/V Jedi hit the nail on the head. New variable speed compressor AC units. I have a Velair 16k on my catamaran and can easily cool 4 cabins overnight. Great company to deal with, manufacturer is in Florida.

Here are my DC amp draw from the inverter based on settings, and this includes the water pump!

Low - 33 amps. Good to cool the boat overnight low 80’s
Med- 65 amps
Full - 100amps

On auto it will be variable between 2a-9a AC/33a-100a DC
4000-16000btu variable.

Disclaimer - I am a dealer for them. But I only deal in products I own/test and truly believe in. Like OC Tenders and these AC units.

If you have any questions info@gulfnautical.com or
727-307-0070
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:32   #17

Boat: Voyage 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia View Post
S/V Jedi hit the nail on the head. New variable speed compressor AC units. I have a Velair 16k on my catamaran and can easily cool 4 cabins overnight. Great company to deal with, manufacturer is in Florida.

Here are my DC amp draw from the inverter based on settings, and this includes the water pump!

Low - 33 amps. Good to cool the boat overnight low 80’s
Med- 65 amps
Full - 100amps

On auto it will be variable between 2a-9a AC/33a-100a DC
4000-16000btu variable.

Disclaimer - I am a dealer for them. But I only deal in products I own/test and truly believe in. Like OC Tenders and these AC units.

If you have any questions info@gulfnautical.com or
727-307-0070
You might want to update some stuff if you're advertising in this forum. For instance, the gulfnautical.com domain contains an empty wix page. And in your post you mention an install in your "catamaran" but your user profile shows you as owning a Hunter 40.

I'm not saying you aren't the greatest marine service provider ever, but I do pick up on sloppiness, and when I see it, it makes me think twice before hiring someone. If they're sloppy online, are they sloppy when working on my boat.... etc.

Just some friendly advice.
ThereAndBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:38   #18

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)

Panbo just did an article on DC Air Conditioning. Worth a read here: https://www.panbo.com/dc-air-conditi...ator-required/
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:53   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThereAndBack View Post
You might want to update some stuff if you're advertising in this forum. For instance, the gulfnautical.com domain contains an empty wix page. And in your post you mention an install in your "catamaran" but your user profile shows you as owning a Hunter 40.

I'm not saying you aren't the greatest marine service provider ever, but I do pick up on sloppiness, and when I see it, it makes me think twice before hiring someone. If they're sloppy online, are they sloppy when working on my boat.... etc.

Just some friendly advice.
Thanks for the Advice There and Back. I've just updated my profile to reflect my current boat. The site is not live. We reserved the domain name and use the email. Website should be up shortly, since this pandemic has turned me to a home school teacher in addition to everything else... things are moving a little slower that I would like on the website lol.

Cheers
Acadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:50   #20

I have been looking preety hard at inverter ac's and have talked with both the DC manufactures at the boat shows . Want one of these but they are expensive . For sure I would do it if I had to replace a broken ac but hard to pull the trigger when your ac works fine . Also have been emailing a manufacturer in China that makes marine ac . They also have come out with a DC unit . They are the same sizes as the Mabru units (wonder who Mabru has make theirs?). Trying to see if they will ship an order of one and what the cost all in is .

Jr thanks for that link . Good article and the youtube video he does is impressive .
Whatta Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 16:09   #21

Boat: Jeanneau SO 45.2

Benefitted from this thread so I'm paying it back; I am pretty sure this is where Mabru gets their stuff: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...905.0.0.slXR7u

They sell units with the exact same cage, control panel and control box. It's either that or a very good clone...

Got to ask though, are these really going to enjoy seawater? The expensive Italian megayacht company mentioned on Panbo uses titanium(!), I don't think these do.
jonathanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 16:25   #22

This is who makes it for Mabru. Mabru's are a higher quality , they use a copper coil and the ones hopewell sells to public are aluminum. I have communicated multiple times with them and am looking at picking up a few. Parts if they break are my biggest concern. FYI I have seen and played with Mabru's at the boat shows, They put out a lot of cooling and have a meter there showing their current draws. They look very good except the price.
Old 06-01-2021, 17:31   #23

Boat: Jeanneau SO 45.2

Yes parts are going to be tricky. Do you think it's hard for a local HVAC repair shop to repair or is it just standard components combined into a neat package?

Do you think Hopewell will ship a single unit?

Have you decided on a pump for the seawater feed?
jonathanv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 18:31   #24

I think a lot of the parts would be different but I'm not an ac guy. They only want to work with businesses. I was looking at buying multiple units. Now I have decided to sell my current boat and get a larger one so probably going to wait on the purchase. I know a few people who use then here in Florida and seem to like them a lot. If they pan out they will became very popular.
Old 06-01-2021, 18:32   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanv View Post
Yes parts are going to be tricky. Do you think it's hard for a local HVAC repair shop to repair or is it just standard components combined into a neat package?

Do you think Hopewell will ship a single unit?

Have you decided on a pump for the seawater feed?
Can a marine AC service shop service and provide parts for a Mabru? I'd be interested to hear answer to that. Mabru makes some very, very aggressive claims on efficiency - more or less 50% more efficient than the standard 120vac systems we all know and love. I'm skeptical of their claims. If their units use commonly available off the shelf parts, I'm even more skeptical.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 18:49   #26

Well they are 12v compressors so those aren't off the shelf. There is a Youtube video of a company testing output and the numbers seem to match.
Old 06-01-2021, 19:05   #27

https://panbo.com/dc-air-conditionin...ator-required/
Boat rx tested another Dc air conditioner, this one was 16k btu. It used 700w at full output and the above video shows them testing output. This comes out to 43.75w/hr per 1k btu. So that 43.75w x 12 =525w which is almost exactly what Mabru advertises.So it appears accurate. That is pretty efficient if true.
Old 07-01-2021, 06:30   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom Mabru 40 open SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Can a marine AC service shop service and provide parts for a Mabru? I'd be interested to hear answer to that. Mabru makes some very, very aggressive claims on efficiency - more or less 50% more efficient than the standard 120vac systems we all know and love. I'm skeptical of their claims. If their units use commonly available off the shelf parts, I'm even more skeptical.

Peter
Mabru units are not made with commonly available shelf parts, the blowers are made with Permanent magnets brushless motors, ceramic bearings are needed to avoid friction and rust due to moisture, the reversing valves is specially designed for R134 pressures with 12V solenoids, the air coils are custom copper with copper antimicrobial, anti-electrolysis fins, the water cool coils are made out of 20 years rated 70/30 CuNi not the economical 90/10, (the 70/30 was used by Cruisair back in the 90s with great results), the compressor is very sophisticated, Permanent magnet motor, dual rotor, 3 phase AC running at a very low voltage with a custom variable frequency drive 12V DC input. this is why a 7000 BTU producing close to 8000BTU at max speed only consume 27.8 amps at 12v DC, and much less on Lithium 13.6V DC, the 12000 BTU is also amazing.
The control is also custom, color touch screen to synchronize the fan speed with the compressor VFD.
170122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 06:44   #29
Marine Service Provider

I also see Rolex watches made in china that looks exactly like the original ones..
Old 15-01-2021, 06:52   #30
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanv View Post
Benefitted from this thread so I'm paying it back; I am pretty sure this is where Mabru gets their stuff: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...905.0.0.slXR7u

They sell units with the exact same cage, control panel and control box. It's either that or a very good clone...

Got to ask though, are these really going to enjoy seawater? The expensive Italian megayacht company mentioned on Panbo uses titanium(!), I don't think these do.
Using Titanium? how many 20 + years old Cruisair units have you seen on Hatteras, Bertrams, Searays.. they last because their coils were made with CuNi B30, 70:30 the new ones are made out of the economical CuNi B10 90:10,
All CuNi are easy to integrate and weld with copper, titanium was a good advertising for the manufacturing companies but the integration and welding is proving to be a nightmare.

Tags
air conditioning, marine