Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2020, 15:29   #121

Boat: Trojan F26 HT
Re: Lithium for the love of God

I’ve spent the past year researching what you’re going through. My needs are smaller for current (amps), but I’m convinced Lithium (actually Lithium Ferrous Phosphate - abbreviated as LFP or LiFePO4) batteries are the best choice for long term use in house banks. I’m going with Battle Born out of Nevada. Their customer service is great. They will quote you prices for batteries and accessories which will be competitive. Here’s what I’ve learned:

* LFP can be discharged down to 20% with no adverse effect. Lead acid (FLA, AGM, etc) can be discharged down to 50%. So a 100AH lithium battery is good to go for 80AH vs 50AH for lead acid

* LFP batteries charge faster than lead acid

* LFPs are more “energy dense” than lead acid so you’ll get more consistent power over longer periods of discharge

* LFP are safer than lead acid. No outgassing, acid spills, etc, and LFP chemistry is much more stable than Li-O batteries used in elec cars and cell phones.

* LFPs should last at least 10 years, maybe more

* LFPs weigh much less than comparable lead acid, and can be positioned in more ways than lead acid.

* Battle Born LFPs have built in Battery Management Systems (BMS) that regulate over-charge, under-charge, temperature, etc.

Hope that helps
Randy P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 02:18   #122

Re: Lithium for the love of God

This is a necro thread from 2017, Randy.

If he hasn't figured it out by now, he's toast.

Great info you provided about lithium , although those batteries are not my cuppa...

Firefly for me. Don't want to potentially burn a hole in my hull.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote