Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 39 votes, 4.85 average. Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 09:33   #4981

Re: LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread for Those Using Them as House Banks

Quote:
Originally Posted by svrodeorm View Post
Im not sure if that was meant as a suggestion to me, but it's just the kinda stuff I try to avoid. A small house bank is as far from an EV as a space ship is from a Horse and wagon. With my charge and discharge currents it's a mere trickle on a 200-300 Amphr bank

Thank you anyway....
Just to know, why?

Ok long term balancing will ruin the cell but, a 5 amp balancing power (not discharging) setted with a reasonable voltage like 3.45 max 3.5v would be good, especially, you can keep under control the voltage of every single cell from the screen, and all the other parameters...

As soon as i get i boat for sure Winston 8x 400 ah in series to drive a 3 kw 220 v ac inverter...and i will need a great balancer...
stefano_ita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 07:17   #4982

Boat: Lagoon 440

Just picked up my new battery setup... .... super stoked......!

solecollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 08:56   #4983

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Just uploaded a video of my install, take a look , be kind it really was my first video . I used my iPhone 🤓

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2016, 23:27   #4984
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Phantom 40
LiFePO4 Batteries: Discussion Thread for Those Using Them as House Banks

Looks good, that genset can certainly pump some current.

Old 22-02-2016, 12:01   #4985

Quote:
Originally Posted by KASHMIR View Post
Looks good, that genset can certainly pump some current.

It was a cold start , it settles down to around 220 amps once the alternator warms up . The alternator is direct coupled so it is only spinning at 1800 RPM same as the engine, no belts.

Regards
Old 22-02-2016, 12:29   #4986
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

After two yrs of real life use I have two data sets of LiFePO4 battery banks that have experienced no real noticeable voltage drift balancing issues between the cells. Now does that mean it can't happen? No because this is only data from 12 cells, but it does go to make me feel totally comfortable without paying the big money for a BMS with build in cell balancing.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 12:59   #4987

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
After two yrs of real life use I have two data sets of LiFePO4 battery banks that have experienced no real noticeable voltage drift balancing issues between the cells. Now does that mean it can't happen? No because this is only data from 12 cells, but it does go to make me feel totally comfortable without paying the big money for a BMS with build in cell balancing.

I have had the same experience , no drift at all. My BMS never shunts the cells , I never charge that high . I strictly use it for its LVC (low voltage cutoff) I did that once just to make sure it was working properly . Never had any use for the HVC , I am always there when charging .

Regards
Old 24-02-2016, 10:10   #4988

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I am continuing to have trouble sourcing Sinopoly cells (and Winston cells which I have given up on in the US). I have a tentative order from a Canadian supplier (Canev). They have a very good reputation, were very responsive to my inquiries, and have been in business a long time, but primarily to build specialty EV equipment. But they do not carry cell inventory though and there is a two month lead time and full money up front to order through them from China.

I have heard good things about Lithium Storage in Utah from one of our esteemed (and extremely reputable posters/vendor) who bought cells from them in the past and knows of at least one other cruiser who bought from them just recently. He said they had been very good to work with (Mike). They have a web site and offer to sell cells from inventory here in the US. However, their phone number is a mobile and the message when calling says "the subscriber is not available right now and try back later"?? I have sent two emails to them and have not heard back. I have heard that they are reliable but just slow to get back to you. It has only been a week so I may just be antsy.

This makes me a little nervous as to how much in business they really are, or at least in a customer friendly aspect. There have been recent examples of LiFePO4 vendors going out of business suddenly with some money lost by people who put in orders and did not get their goods. Based on the recommendation I have that may not be the case with LS but I am still unsure.

So I'd like to ask if any of you know of or have had direct experience with Lithium Storage recently, and if so, how it went. Just for my peace of mind, just in case they decide to answer my inquiries. It could be that they are so busy completing orders that they are maxed out and I shouldn't have any worries. I really would like to get some cells to start my install (after spending months of research).
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 10:35   #4989

Bite the bullit , use CanEV . You will get your cells , no monkey business . Short of odering them your self from China with all those hassle's , it might be your only option .

Regards
Old 24-02-2016, 10:46   #4990

I bought 20 x 200 ah lithium cells from Electric Car Parts of Utah 3 months ago. The price was fair. Service was excellent and the batteries tested out perfectly for equal charge when i hooked up my meters. They have stock. I live in Victoria BC and had them ground ship to Seawings based at Victoria Airport where i paid the duty and had them loaded into my pickup. If you order from www.electriccarparts.com be sure to tell them you intend to make a 12V system or you will get too few jumpers [they do a lot of 48V] Good luck.
Twin Coves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2016, 11:44   #4991
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
I have heard good things about Lithium Storage in Utah .
Hey Amigo...
Just got an email from Mike over at Lithium Ion Storage

Date: Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 12:01 PM
Subject: RE: You still alive? In business?

We’re still here. It has been a little crazy with Sinopoly shipping less (due to China-domestic demand), my go-to BMS manufacturer (MiniBMS) deciding to not work with distributors anymore, and some weird global economics.
I’ve been spending a ton of time catering to the whims of a couple of B2B customers and need to update the phone number on our website and forward the website’s internal email to my contact email account.

Have people email me directly at mike@lithiumstorage.com
Old 24-02-2016, 12:14   #4992

Thanks Rich. I just got an email from Mike at Lithium Storage so that is great. I have given him my info. All seems well right now, especially given your experience with Mike.

I'll post with what happens.

I think Canev would certainly be a good place to get the cells but with the complication of international shipping/customs, the time delay, and money advance with the order. Randy there has been great. I would drive up and pick them up myself but there is an issue with carrying them on the Canadian ferries and then across the border. They are not far from here actually, but it would be over $100 in ferry costs.
Old 25-02-2016, 05:24   #4993

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
Thanks Rich. I just got an email from Mike at Lithium Storage so that is great. I have given him my info. All seems well right now, especially given your experience with Mike.

I'll post with what happens.

I think Canev would certainly be a good place to get the cells but with the complication of international shipping/customs, the time delay, and money advance with the order. Randy there has been great. I would drive up and pick them up myself but there is an issue with carrying them on the Canadian ferries and then across the border. They are not far from here actually, but it would be over $100 in ferry costs.
Good to hear you had contact with Lithiumstorage , seems to be very hard to get these cells latley ? Just remember the Canadian dollar is weak right now and that would work in your favour . Keep us posted .

Regards
Old 25-02-2016, 07:59   #4994

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
Good to hear you had contact with Lithiumstorage , seems to be very hard to get these cells latley ? Just remember the Canadian dollar is weak right now and that would work in your favour . Keep us posted .

Regards
I was expecting a lower price because of the Cdn vs. US$ difference but all the quotes I have seen have been in US$, including many in Europe. Canev quoted $1.35/Ah regardless of cell capacity, for the Sinopoly cells. Lithium Storage is quoting exactly the same. I did see a website offering at $1.32/Ah but that is not much of a difference and I haven't seen it again. That is the same quote given to me by Winston in China (picked up at their warehouse!) and the same for Sinopoly China. These guys all have the same price list, only the prices here in Canada and the US include shipping/customs from China and you only pay shipping from their respective warehouses.
Old 25-02-2016, 08:21   #4995
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

What did Lithium Ion Storage quote on the Liyuan cells?
That is what I have.

Tags
battery, grass, lifepo4, LiFePO4 Batteries, sailing