Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2021, 09:11   #1

Boat: Hunter 340
I'm new to Lithium batteries!

I love the lithium batteries. I have 3 x 100Ah Enerwatt batteries with a Balmar SG 200 battery monitor.
What would be the lowest value of SOC or voltage before I get busy to re-charge the batteries?

Cheers!
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 02:30   #2

Boat: Beneteau Sense 43
Re: I'm new to Lithium batteries!

Uh, that would be the lowest SoC you are comfortable with. Personally, at anchor or moored I‘d not go below 15 %SoC, on a passage I tend to recharge at 35 % SoC for safety reasons.
This question indicates „lead acid“ thinking. Not necessary with LiFePO4, just use them.
mbartosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:16   #3

Boat: Hunter 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbartosch View Post
Uh, that would be the lowest SoC you are comfortable with. Personally, at anchor or moored I‘d not go below 15 %SoC, on a passage I tend to recharge at 35 % SoC for safety reasons.
This question indicates „lead acid“ thinking. Not necessary with LiFePO4, just use them.

Thanks. I was thinking 25% would be the lowest acceptable level before re-charging
bgallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:38   #4

Boat: Beneteau Sense 43

Taking the batteries down to less than about 20% SoC will have a very slight effect on the longevity of the bank, but IMO this is negligible. Keeping them at high SoC (> 80 %) for prolonged times is much worse.

In practice, lowest acceptable SoC on LiFePO4 is more a question of preference and of course safety considerations rather than a technical rule that should be obeyed.
You will likely replace the bank due to technology improvements rather than bank „health“ status if you just use it and follow the simple rules:
Don’t overcharge, stop charging when full, don’t keep it at high SoC for prolonged time, don’t discharge to 0 % (< 2.8 V Vpc), store and isolate bank at about 50 % SoC for prolonged absence.
mbartosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 05:45   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
I love the lithium batteries. I have 3 x 100Ah Enerwatt batteries with a Balmar SG 200 battery monitor.
What would be the lowest value of SOC or voltage before I get busy to re-charge the batteries?

Cheers!
The best primmer I know of

https://marinehowto.com/lifepo4-batteries-on-boats/
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2021, 06:46   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Good primer , has a bit of an issue with FET power switches that’s a little hard to understand but otherwise not bad.

Tags
batteries, lithium