Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2021, 18:32   #46

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: I bought a 300Ahr Chinese lithium battery on Amazon

Pardon the drift, but there seem to be a lot of people here that know waaay more about this stuff than I do. Just out of curiosity mostly, how long would the battery under discussion run a 30 hp, 600v DC motor at full output? Draw is about 35 amps.

Surely the answer wouldn't be 5 hrs or so, would it? I'm really ignorant about this stuff.

Excuse, please, the laziness...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 06:42   #47

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Pardon the drift, but there seem to be a lot of people here that know waaay more about this stuff than I do. Just out of curiosity mostly, how long would the battery under discussion run a 30 hp, 600v DC motor at full output? Draw is about 35 amps.

Surely the answer wouldn't be 5 hrs or so, would it? I'm really ignorant about this stuff.

Excuse, please, the laziness...

A 300ah 12v chins battery won’t run a 600v motor at all.

However if you hook 50 of them together in series (likely not permissible) they’ll run the motor for roughly 6.5 hours going from 100% down to 20%.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 07:21   #48

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Oh, right. Duhhh. Thanks.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 04:46   #49

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: I bought a 300ah Chins lithium batter on Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttex View Post
If anyone cares the battery has been flawless so far.

I ran my Keurig off of the inverter this morning to make coffee. Was pulling around 125 amps 12 volt for around 5 minutes or so. No issues.

I'm pretty happy with it.
Is there an update, are you still happy with this? I’m just about to pull the trigger on these and wanted some additional validation.
Bradjacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 14:01   #50

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradjacki View Post
Is there an update, are you still happy with this? I’m just about to pull the trigger on these and wanted some additional validation.
Don't do it, 1380 for real low spec 200AH is very expensive. They suck just from the specs.
You can get 4x 280AH Lishen,EVE or Basen cells for 600dollar, a 123 smarrt BMS for 250 and 100 for case and you have real 280AH, 1C charge/discharge for 950dollar.

If you wanna have drop in, suggest to take a liontron 150AH. That cost the same and will deliver the same results then this overrated 300AH chinese junk.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 00:18   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
Don't do it, 1380 for real low spec 200AH is very expensive. They suck just from the specs.
You can get 4x 280AH Lishen,EVE or Basen cells for 600dollar, a 123 smarrt BMS for 250 and 100 for case and you have real 280AH, 1C charge/discharge for 950dollar.

If you wanna have drop in, suggest to take a liontron 150AH. That cost the same and will deliver the same results then this overrated 300AH chinese junk.
There are lots of drop-in options these days. LFP market seems to be evolving fast. Good news for consumers.

Liontron look good.

I though these AOLitium also looked promising and they come in different form factors. If i was in the market would look at these too.

Slightly Cheesy review here of a 100ah version:
Britishsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 01:17   #52
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post

I have been running 1120Ah of Eve with the Smart123 BMS for almost a year of cruising and living in main off solar - I have had no issues what so ever and the batteries have been fantastic

Cost for them delivered to Australia was US$1720 and great value for money - Costs of BMS and upgrading everything else to work with them was about the same again.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:21   #53

SOK batteries marine grade version is a good drop in solution too. And the case is screwed so you check what you get, can maintain or replace parts if something breaks...very rare and a feature you want.
12V 206AH with BMS drop in is 1000$

https://www.sokbattery.com/products/...ifepo4-battery
Old 12-02-2022, 13:02   #54

Boat: Freedom 40/40 40' #16

I am not comfortable trying to save a few $ buying inexpensive batteries online. I am switching from three 200Ah AGMs house plus isolated starter to two 200Ah LFPs and AGM starter. Will need to use a Victron Orion 12-12 DC - DC regulator/isolator for my diesel alternator system and new LFP compatible Mastervolt dockside charger.

Can use opinions on which batteries to choose. I want each to have their own BMS and Bluetooth monitoring system. My short list is Victron, CMPower, ElectoMaax, Dakota, and Mastervolt. Comments are welcome
jlodolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 13:15   #55
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I have the GWL batteries. I don’t think buying low cost batteries or DIY LFP Installs suit many people and that’s fine

Others will have greater first principles understanding and risk profile. They will do things differently.
Old 12-02-2022, 15:40   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlodolce View Post
I am not comfortable trying to save a few $ buying inexpensive batteries online. I am switching from three 200Ah AGMs house plus isolated starter to two 200Ah LFPs and AGM starter. Will need to use a Victron Orion 12-12 DC - DC regulator/isolator for my diesel alternator system and new LFP compatible Mastervolt dockside charger.

Can use opinions on which batteries to choose. I want each to have their own BMS and Bluetooth monitoring system. My short list is Victron, CMPower, ElectoMaax, Dakota, and Mastervolt. Comments are welcome
Look at SOK Marine drop ins, hard to beat 206AH for 1030$ with real 7 years warranty and they have their own high quality BMS. You can even open them and look whats inside as the top is screwed down, to eg swap a defective BMS or a cell.
They don't have Bluetooth though but all you need is a Victron BMV 712 batter monitor.
Otherwise Victron smart batteries (the other cost nearly the same but have no advantage over victron) , they have Winston cells insides and the best Bluetooth UI but cost the double of the SOK just because they are Victron and have Bluetooth.
You get 406AH compared to 200AH from Victron for 2000 bucks both have high quality grade A cells inside, the SOK the better BMS. Dockside charger from Victron, better then mastervolt especially if you get victron batteries because they communicate via BT...
Old 13-02-2022, 04:05   #57

Boat: Freedom 40/40 40' #16

thank you goboat and captain. I have been leaning toward Victron. I have been using a Victon 702 for my AGMs, but I like the idea of being able to monitor each battery individually as opposed to monitoring the entire bank. I have seen references that SOK are good batteries as well. Will study them as well.I will look at GWL
jlodolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2022, 06:24   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlodolce View Post
thank you goboat and captain. I have been leaning toward Victron. I have been using a Victon 702 for my AGMs, but I like the idea of being able to monitor each battery individually as opposed to monitoring the entire bank. I have seen references that SOK are good batteries as well. Will study them as well.I will look at GWL
Then put a 702 or 712 on each battery, doesn't make sense though...
Victron has a quite simple BMS BT UI is top though.
If u wanna monitor each battery get 4 Winston 400AH cells, put them in a box and put a Taos BMS on it and you have full control for 50% of the money. Victron is essentially this just with a quite basic BMS... Any boater that can maintain his engine can do that and you cannot go wrong on winston cells and Taos BMS, top notch...
Tao has a genius simulation mode so without altering your live setup you can test all safety functions of your install and alone thats worth the 800$ this BMS costs. Just play, nothing can happen... No drop in has that. Drop in doesn't mean drop in and all is good, you still have to adapt and control alternator, wind gen, chargers...the difference is the Tao will control all
and impove battery life by managing the cells accordingly as versus with a drop in (except you have all victron) you have to rely on every component to do the job and switch on or off due to specs you program or switch to... Your drop in bms has has the last resort and switch all off in a LVC or HVC event...not really managing the cells.
Old 16-02-2022, 06:16   #59

Boat: Baba 35

Sorry I haven't been back with an update for a while.

Truth is everything is just working perfectly and its boring. I reckon the true test is how long these batteries last. So far so good.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2022, 19:36   #60

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thank you!
Bradjacki is offline   Reply With Quote