Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2021, 00:09   #31

Re: I bought a 300ah Chins lithium batter on Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
I think you mean 0.5C Test, for a 300AH this is 150A. 1C is 300A, 2C would be 600A.
Well from the spec for me the battery consists of 8 low spec 100AH cells trocken To a 300AH rating as Terry said and unknown BMS.
Low Spécifications behause of
A) only 2000 cycles, Standard is 4000 on a high spec.
B) 4sec 400A, high spec do 3C shortterm means 600A or 900A following their 300AH
C) continous charge only 100AH, means 0.5C of following the 300AH Rating only 0.3C. High quality ones do 1C continous.

You get what you pay for.
As Terry wrote earlier, 100AH cells from Winston do 320Ah and are half price.
Cheap as AGM and high quality, Look for the 272 Lishen of 280AH EVE cells
Yeah, sorry about that, it should have read C2 not 2C, C2 is discharged over 2 hrs or as you say 0.5CA load.

T1 Terry
T1 Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 00:40   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
@T1 Terry
I was on your wife's excellent website t1lithium.com.au and did not see a BMS listed. I was wondering what you use for yours.
We make our own because we couldn't find anything off the shelf that would do what we needed. We are Beta testing a few different units to see if we can adapt any of them to replace our now 10 yr old design ... had a few upgrades over the yrs to reduce the over all size of the box it all goes in and had to adapt when the timer board manufacturer decided to change to a double sides board with very small tracks on the board. But basically the design hasn't changed since I first designed it. The idea was to make everything available off the shelf so if an RV was out in the middle of no where they could contact me and I'd give them a series of tests to do and give me the results. From there I could determine what the problem was, send them a work around to by pass the problem and send a replacement part out in the post to the next town they planned to pass through. 7 levels of redundancy was probably well and truely over the top, but it did mean a lot of the system could be temporarily by passed and it would still have the base functions and put the system own in charge of listening for any alarms if the by pass meant to auto disconnect was now bypassed.
The system still works fine, but the little Junsi micro processor is no longer in production, hasn't been for 3 yrs, so when our stock runs out we are in trouble :lol: We want to upgrade to Bluetooth output for the cell voltages anyway so they are easier to read on a Smart phone, all the rest of the bits now have bluetooth output so ......
I gotta tell ya, there is still a lot of rubbish out there pretending to be a quality BMS system, if it doesn't use cell voltages to drive the alarms and output drivers, then it is nothing more than a push bike battery BMS ......

T1 Terry
T1 Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 03:26   #33
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Am I missing something? $1850 for 300ah? The one linked within would be cheaper.

https://shop.gwl.eu/en/By-Brand-Manu...hparam=Lifepo4

As that BMS is around 400Euro it comes with and they are Winston cells I'd say that's a better deal.

I have one of those BMS's and I purchased 1120Ah of EVE cells (16 x 280Ah x 3.2V) for USD $1865 delivered to my door in Australia.

At these prices I should get into the business
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 09:41   #34

Boat: Baba 35
Question Re: I bought a 300ah Chins lithium batter on Amazon

If anyone cares the battery has been flawless so far.

I ran my Keurig off of the inverter this morning to make coffee. Was pulling around 125 amps 12 volt for around 5 minutes or so. No issues.

I'm pretty happy with it.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 09:54   #35

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttex View Post
If anyone cares the battery has been flawless so far.

I ran my Keurig off of the inverter this morning to make coffee. Was pulling around 125 amps 12 volt for around 5 minutes or so. No issues.

I'm pretty happy with it.
Glad to hear! I’m debating this for my new boat.
Letterkenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2021, 10:06   #36

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1 Terry View Post
We make our own because we couldn't find anything off the shelf that would do what we needed. We are Beta testing a few different units to see if we can adapt any of them to replace our now 10 yr old design ... had a few upgrades over the yrs to reduce the over all size of the box it all goes in and had to adapt when the timer board manufacturer decided to change to a double sides board with very small tracks on the board. But basically the design hasn't changed since I first designed it. The idea was to make everything available off the shelf so if an RV was out in the middle of no where they could contact me and I'd give them a series of tests to do and give me the results. From there I could determine what the problem was, send them a work around to by pass the problem and send a replacement part out in the post to the next town they planned to pass through. 7 levels of redundancy was probably well and truely over the top, but it did mean a lot of the system could be temporarily by passed and it would still have the base functions and put the system own in charge of listening for any alarms if the by pass meant to auto disconnect was now bypassed.
The system still works fine, but the little Junsi micro processor is no longer in production, hasn't been for 3 yrs, so when our stock runs out we are in trouble :lol: We want to upgrade to Bluetooth output for the cell voltages anyway so they are easier to read on a Smart phone, all the rest of the bits now have bluetooth output so ......
I gotta tell ya, there is still a lot of rubbish out there pretending to be a quality BMS system, if it doesn't use cell voltages to drive the alarms and output drivers, then it is nothing more than a push bike battery BMS ......

T1 Terry
Terry check out the electrodacus BMS, genius new and out of the box thinking and implementation. No current goes through the BMS and it switches off the charge and load sources directly instead interrupt the connection with a high current relay or FET.

So its cheap too and it tskes cate about rhe cells too and optimises charge accordingly.
ElectroDacus
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2021, 06:14   #37

Boat: Hunter 36

Under answered questions for that Chins battery, the maker states that lithium batteries cannot charge when the temperature is below freezing (but they can still discharge).

For about $100 more, they have another version that has a little heating strip that kicks in when the temperature is too cold, so it can still charge. This version might be a little better for boats, especially if you are in colder latitudes:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N552MM1..._title_dp&th=1
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:31   #38

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
I bought a 300ah Chins lithium batter on Amazon

I just installed three Chins 12V 100 Ah batteries in my boat. Prior to installation, I did a capacity test on each, getting 103,108, and 109 Ah at a 5A discharge rate. We’ll see how it goes. $1440 for 300 Ah is not bad.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:36   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerSailor View Post
I just installed three Chins 12V 100 Ah batteries in my boat. Prior to installation, I did a capacity test on each, getting 103,108, and 109 Ah at a 5A discharge rate. We’ll see how it goes. $1440 for 300 Ah is not bad.
Well 560AH for 1200bucks with 8x 280AH Eve cells delivering 580AH capacity at a 0.5C=280A rate is much cheaper...
Old 02-09-2021, 07:59   #40
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Please take the time to read about the safety differences in Lithium chemistries, specifically take the time to read about LiFEPO4. Would you say diesel has the same safety characteristics as Gasoline as they are both liquid fuels?

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by parachute View Post
Lithiumm batteries have caughfire in planes and and cars and everything else with a Lithium battery including phones.

Lithium-ion batteries commonly used in consumer electronics are notorious for bursting into flame when damaged or improperly packaged. ... "If the battery is damaged and the plastic layer fails, the electrodes can come into contact and cause the battery's liquid electrolyte to catch fire

List of UK Lithium battery fires: https://resource.co/article/lithium-...llion-annually
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:53   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by witzgall View Post
Please take the time to read about the safety differences in Lithium chemistries, specifically take the time to read about LiFEPO4. Would you say diesel has the same safety characteristics as Gasoline as they are both liquid fuels?

Chris
And read about the dangers of AGM and lead too.
I tossed 4 AGMs in the last 3 years due to thermal runaway, 1 in my BMW which I had to literally had to rip out on a pacing spot to prevent the car catch fire... And 3 overboard on mine and on a buddies boat. All ran partly dry due to different reasons... On other buddy boat a 200AH lead for the bowtruster the gas outlets were clogged and the battery bursted, thanks god nobody was in the V berth at that time...
Old 02-09-2021, 10:24   #42

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by parachute View Post
Lithiumm batteries have caughfire in planes and and cars and everything else with a Lithium battery including phones.

Lithium-ion batteries commonly used in consumer electronics are notorious for bursting into flame when damaged or improperly packaged. ... "If the battery is damaged and the plastic layer fails, the electrodes can come into contact and cause the battery's liquid electrolyte to catch fire

List of UK Lithium battery fires: https://resource.co/article/lithium-...llion-annually
I believe we are discussing LFP chemistry batteries here. Different chemistry from the small lithium ion batteries used in portable electronic devices.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:00   #43

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Quote:
Well 560AH for 1200bucks with 8x 280AH Eve cells delivering 580AH capacity at a 0.5C=280A rate is much cheaper...
Is this a delivered price? Where?
Can you provide a link to your vendor?
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:13   #44

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyEss View Post
I believe we are discussing LFP chemistry batteries here. Different chemistry from the small lithium ion batteries used in portable electronic devices.

Also, many of the consumer devices that use litium batteries are such that the battery has been crammed into a very small, compressed location. The chance for damage during assembly is significant enough to be a concern. It has also shown to be the root cause of some of the fires etc.

When done right, use of Lithium on boats is very different.
Old 02-09-2021, 17:59   #45

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

Quote:
Congratulations! I would do that too were it delivered to me ready to install. On occasion, time becomes a constraint...
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote