Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2020, 15:16   #31

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: How to deal with the alternator?!

I think someone might be able to hack something which uses the Victron control wires to their batteries, but they would really need to study and know what they were doing and have a lfp bms/cell balancing system on the lfp that was compatible.

Doing this will probably void the warrantee on all victron equipment.

BTW, after more study, the wiring and controls for BMS 12/200 and Smart BMS CL 12/100 is very different. The Smart BMS CL 12/100 uses charge and discharge disconnect control wires.

Incidentally in Smart BMS CL 12/100 has a "Pre-Alarm Output for LED, Relay or Buzzer. This alarm might be used to disconnect the alternator external regulator field disconnect to protect the Alternator if it is directly connected to the LFP Batteries. These alarm wires are Normally free floating, and High (Vbat) in case of alarm, max. 1A(not short circuit proof).

I am not quite certain how this would work yet, because the wires go from low or 0v to battery voltage (1a max), so the relay would have to disconnect the field wire when the relay is activated, but what happens if this signal is intermittent? Would the relay ave to be latched relay? I don't think that will work.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 17:42   #32

Boat: C&C 35 MK-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I think someone might be able to hack something which uses the Victron control wires to their batteries, but they would really need to study and know what they were doing and have a lfp bms/cell balancing system on the lfp that was compatible.

Doing this will probably void the warrantee on all victron equipment.
Rick--

The 3rd party REC-BMS has some limited ability to communicate between itself and Victron inverters, but it seems to limited to checking for discharge voltage only. See page 12.

http://www.rec-bms.com/datasheet/Use...MS_Victron.pdf

So it would not help with charge sources, but does give insight in the CAN commands Victron uses and expects.

That said, while I have a REC Active BMS and bought the Victron compatible version, but have not verified it's compatibility. I bought it for future proofing when I go blue on the next boat, whenever that is.
Old 28-12-2020, 20:06   #33

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Ron,

Thank you that's helpful. I do recall you advising something similar in another thread.
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstory View Post
Rick--

The 3rd party REC-BMS has some limited ability to communicate between itself and Victron inverters, but it seems to limited to checking for discharge voltage only. See page 12.

http://www.rec-bms.com/datasheet/Use...MS_Victron.pdf

So it would not help with charge sources, but does give insight in the CAN commands Victron uses and expects.

That said, while I have a REC Active BMS and bought the Victron compatible version, but have not verified it's compatibility. I bought it for future proofing when I go blue on the next boat, whenever that is.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator