Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2021, 09:16   #1

Comparison between commercial BMS for LiFePO4.

There are so many long threads under LiFePO4 that any search to compare items becomes a time rover. I have seen lately the specs of the TAO BMS (www.taoperf.com) which look good, but I would like to be able to compare the different BMS available on the market. Is there a thread on this forum or elsewhere where all (or most) commercial LiFePO4 BMS are compared, specs as well as pros and cons?
P_Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 21:34   #2

Re: Comparison between commercial BMS for LiFePO4.

This looks like it could become a great reference thread. I won't put our system up here because we don't actually sell it as a separate item but as part of a complete installation ..... and the only boats we really do are river house boats, simply because we are just too busy branch out into ocean going vessels.
I actually started all this research into lithium batteries as house power systems for my own motorhome conversion and started posting the findings, it ballooned from there to the point the wife said she would leave if I kept making a mess of her yard doing installations.
We bought this workshop as a river change for our retirement and something to keep me busy while I waited to reach retirement age .... that is 5 days away, so I have no wish to get even busier :lol:

T1 Terry
T1 Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 00:15   #3

Boat: Nautitech 44.2

No input from members???
I went through the specifications and user manuals of 4 BMS and created a draft spreadsheet. There was a bit of "reading between the lines" and there are many question marks depending on documentation quality / readability.

I will be pleased to update the document to:
  • correct any error
  • complete where there is question mark
  • add data lines (feature, specification, characteristic...)
  • add new BMS (please provide all the data)

Just give the reference of the data line (i.e. 12.3) with the BMS name and the value. To save time, it would be helpful if you can substantiate with link, screen capture, or other evidence. I will post an update from time to time (or maybe put it on a server for easy download of the latest version)

As some of you may know, I have developed the TAO BMS and may not be the best person to do that ! I am getting the ball rolling and if anyone wants to take over, you are welcome.
Going through and try to understand all that data took me 2 days and I can only imagine the challenge for anyone without technical background to understand what they are buying. My view is that this forum has to provide the best and most complete information so that anyone can make an informed decision... So lets stick to facts and learn...
Philippe
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BMS_comparison.pdf (103.7 KB, 135 views)
Philtao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 00:37   #4

A good start, thank you.
P_Walkabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
commercial, lifepo4