Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2021, 03:45   #1

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Can I use Sterling External Regulator with standard 115A alternator charging lithium

Hi all,

Can i use on my cat this external Alternator regulators from Sterling

https://sterling-power.com/collectio...-bw-waterproof

On both Standard 115A alternators of the D2 50hp Volvos to charge my 840AH Lithium house bank. BMS will cut the Field wire in case of overvoltage or other events. Both engines are new (bought it like this), so the alternators too and they provide each save 60A which is enough. 2000W solar is primary charge source and a semi permanent installed Honda gen 2nd, just when I run the engines they should charge the house safely.
Description of this external regulator doesn’t mention anything about lithium...
Don’t like the DC to DC solution, just be able to regulate field current of the alternator is needed.

Or if this Sterling doesn‘t work is there any other external regulator that works with the standard 115A alt and lithium.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 04:12   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16
Re: Can I use Sterling External Regulator with standard 115A alternator charging lith

Doesn’t seem that regulator allows you to set the battery parameters and doesn’t have a lithium setting. Probably should look elsewhere. You will also need to get a wire that goes to 12v when you turn the engine on. Your Volvo doesn’t directly have that, might want to look into the canbus +12v on the multi link cable coming from the mdi.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 04:41   #3

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40
Re: Can I use Sterling External Regulator with standard 115A alternator charging lith

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
Doesn’t seem that regulator allows you to set the battery parameters and doesn’t have a lithium setting. Probably should look elsewhere. You will also need to get a wire that goes to 12v when you turn the engine on. Your Volvo doesn’t directly have that, might want to look into the canbus +12v on the multi link cable coming from the mdi.
Thank you. Good tip regarding 12V wire.
It seemed but does anyone actually have it?
Elsewhere but where do I find a regulator that does the job?
If you regulate the field current anyhow why is there no Li profile
This is a Reasonably regulator, don‘t wanna spend a fortune to just safely charge my bank with the 2 new alternators I have.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 06:42   #4

Boat: Stevens 47

I’ve been using an ample power regulator with no lithium setting to charge my 800ah of lithium for almost 10 years with no problems. My regulator allows me to reduce max output so alternator won’t overheat. That or temperature sensor on alternator is probably more important as discharged 840ah of lithium will draw 115a for hours.
s/v Thea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 08:56   #5

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

Word of caution... If you use an external regulator be sure your alternator is not internally regulated. Use one or the other, not both concurrently.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 09:06   #6

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

As AllenRBrts pointed out it has no profile for Lithium battery charging. Ideally you want a regulator that has a lithium program and an alternator temp sensor. Balmar MC-614 might work for you. Anything that you can regulate the voltage to at or under about 14.4V and limit the current due to temperature of alternator should work. Lithium banks when discharged can take so much power that they will literally fry your alternator.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 09:07   #7

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by garychurch View Post
Word of caution... If you use an external regulator be sure your alternator is not internally regulated. Use one or the other, not both concurrently.
You can bypass the internal regulator fairly easily on alternators.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 09:25   #8

Boat: Outremer 50S

The short answer, not without modifying the alternators to disable the internal regulator. However, you can use a device to change the voltage sensing input on these alternators and thus just use the internal regulator.

Nordkyn Design has a quite clever (and pricey) device for exactly this use and alternator, if you are clever with some of the simple computer devices (Arduino, Pi, ...) you can build your own.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 09:30   #9

Be aware that if you have one battery bank and two alternators, one alternator may sense the output from the other alternator and back off thinking it's done it's job. Don't ask how I know this!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2021, 13:41   #10

It's ok with me.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 01:25   #11

Boat: Northwind 50 - 50ft - Camille

You might look at the Balmar MC - 614 regulator and adjust it for Lithium and also the Sterling Pro-Protect if your BMS might cut the feed-line.
Camille1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2021, 13:35   #12

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

You can use one of these without altering your alternator. I just installed one for my FireFLys - it has Lipo4 settings. Temperature sensors on batts and alt.
https://www.sterling-power-usa.com/S...rycharger.aspx
Old 27-04-2021, 07:54   #13

Boat: Allmand 31

https://youtu.be/tAuPfgZgXec
Paradox111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, charging, regulator