Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2022, 15:57   #1

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC
Battery selector switch upgrade?

I put in a 1200AH LiFePO bank last year and left the original battery selector switch alone. It failed this week, it’s 20 years old. Not sure if it was the insane 400 Amps I was running through when cooking with electric stove it or if just old/mechanical/corroded. But it got me thinking when shipping for new ones today.

My question is, the battery bank can push out 800amps continuous, do I need battery selector switch that can handle that load if I were to run that high, or would a switch that can handle 350-400Amps continuous be ok, or should I go to 500-600? I never really thought about this before, curious how to size these switches when having a large battery bank.

Thank you for any help!
Networker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 16:08   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Battery selector switch upgrade?

The better quality switches have a max continuous rating, a short term 5 minute rating and a 10 sec (engine starting) rating.

Choose accordingly.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2022, 16:14   #3

Boat: Shopping...

Defititively go for at least 600 amp switch. Blue Sea has a HD 600 amp that is not too expensive.
Old 30-03-2022, 16:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARC D View Post
Defititively go for at least 600 amp switch. Blue Sea has a HD 600 amp that is not too expensive.
That’s the one I got, the HD series.
Old 31-03-2022, 07:05   #5

Boat: Columbia 9.6 meter

The switched circuit should be protected by an appropriate fuse, that is sized to protect the wire and devices like the switch on the line.

There is another concern, and here I get a little fuzzy on DC specifications, that concern being the "interrupting rating" of the switch.
It means how much current flow can the switch interrupt ("break") without exploding into shrapnel and flames. The short circuit potential for the lithium batteries is huge, and here I presume the wire leading from the batteries is protected.

If it were me, I would send an email to tech support at BlueSeas Systems, or call and ask for tech support, before buying and installing the switch. You will find them very helpful, so be prepared with complete information about wire size, etc.

I learned a lot when installing an electric motor repower and would not have reasoned it out on my lonesome, because it required installation features that I had to become convinced to include, in order to protect the crew and vessel.

Besides the size of fuses, the allowable length of run between the batteries and fuse is important. ABYC guidelines are readily available and cover these aspects.

As applies to most work, I always hear the words: "Now, please explain to the ladies and gentlemen of the jury WHY you decided to do it the way that you did."

Keep Safe and Healthy ~ 9.6
Ninedotsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 07:10   #6

Correct, the wires are protected: 500A ANL on the batteries, 400A ClassT going into the Victron Quattro from batteries, and another 400A ANL coming out of the alternator.

I guess if I only can produce 400A max, that’s the max the wires can take before the fuse blows, the switch wouldn’t need to be more than 500A since the fuses are below that? So if I go with the 600, I guess it’s safe?

Steve
Old 31-03-2022, 08:19   #7

Boat: Pearson 365

Lifetime of electrical components is increased dramatically if they are debated - that is, if the actual load is substantially less than their maximum rating. So, I would think that a switch rated at 600A continuous would be pretty reliable and have a reasonable lifetime if actually used below 300A or so. That said, is there any way to split the load among more than a single switch? When I redid my power system, I put separate switches (and fuses) between the battery bank and the heavy loads - one for the main power breaker panel, one for the inverter, and one for the anchor windlass. I am also not a fan of the 1-2-both type of switch. So, I have a small panel in the cabin close to the batteries with a total of six rotary switches - the three mentioned above, plus one for connecting the starting battery to the starter, one connecting the house battery to the starter (if both these are turned on the batteries are paralleled) and one that connects solar to the house batteries. This provides a lot of flexibility, but is easy to manage. I really haven’t thought of any downsides to this approach - any thoughts from the experts out there?
rondelais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 08:34   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I presume you meant “ derating “
Old 31-03-2022, 08:43   #9

Boat: Pearson 365

Yeah, spell check got me again. Derated it is!
rondelais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 10:56   #10

Boat: Lagoon 450, 46 feet

We discovered that the original Lagoon switches were inadequate, poorly constructed and were causing a 1 volt drop (12 volt system). At some times the switches were warm to the touch. No switch should ever be warm or hot. New Blue Sea HD switches on both the positive and negative solved the problem. Voltages are back up and the switches never get warm with any load.
purplesunrise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery