Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2020, 11:40   #1

Battery production costs are dropping, why not street prices?

Just ran across this article as I was looking into Lithium cells for our classic today, and instantly began wondering why it is that we're not seeing the same reductions in price?

A good friend who works for PJM told me that the chemistry used in their batteries is very, very similar to what we would use (for all the same reasons, namely safety, TCO).

Any thoughts?

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...-over-3-years/
navman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:38   #2

Re: Battery production costs are dropping, why not street prices?

That article appears to be describing the cost of adding storage to the grid, not battery cost. What I'm reading appears to be an overall cost for adding that storage including infrastructure. So the battery costs may be somewhat stable while the buildings, transmission, and maintenance costs are substantially decreasong.

It doesn't really say why the decrease, but it may not be the battery costs.
ShinyHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2020, 12:45   #3

That's the single most expensive component in the system actually, so it has to be a major contributing factor. I see cell prices dropping like a stone as well, and just can't help thinking that the manufacturers are making the cells up enormously.
navman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 13:18   #4

Boat: Seawind 1370 Hull #40 on order

I think prices are dropping on Lithium quite a lot. That said, just like Energizer AA batteries as Walgreens will 2-3X the price of a 48 pack at Costco, name brands will be trying to hold on as long as possible to keep their gross margins up.

https://shandian.en.alibaba.com/prod...tab&filter=all

$328 for a 4X280Ah lithiums is pretty impressive and these are getting good reviews online. This is cheaper than a lead battery at NAPA!

robin
bikekite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:12   #5

Interestingly just read an article about home solar. Demand there is up right now which, as a market force, would keep the price of batteries up. That was another guess I had but didn't have anything to back it up until now.

I'm not in the market now but will be in the coming year or two. Once the increase in supply shows up to meet current demand we should see the expected price drop. Though with Covid still a thing, either side of that equation could affect price until the world gets back to a little more normal commerce, which I will look forward to.
ShinyHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, price