Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Lithium Power Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 21:52   #1

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig
Australian DCS 12V 100Ah (Lithium Ion) Batteries supplied out of Queensland?

Has anyone had experience with Australian DCS 12V 100Ah (Lithium Ion) Batteries supplied out of Queensland? I would like to double check other boater experiences, before I replace my 700 ah dying AGM Batteries with 4 x 12 volt 100 ah DCS.

Reason is low repentance to recharging up to 90% and high claimed cycle rate.

DCS from website claim;

Their 12V 100AH Lithium Ion Battery | Deep Cycle | Engine Starting...
DCS Batteries are the ideal drop in replacement & upgrade from AGM, Gel or other lead acid batteries for any application. DCS gives you the ability to upgrade your current batteries to lithium ion technology that can last up to 5000 cycles and has tremendous advantages in weight, performance, reliability and service life compared to that of traditional lead acid batteries.
Backed by a 3-year replacement warranty,Top of Form
Their web site is Lithium Battery Storage -

I have no experiences with Lithium, from my research it seems many battery supplies in the battery business now offer drop in replacement Lithium ion units, my impression is that many may have suspect or poor in build BMS .

For me it is hard to narrow down best lithium battery manufactures from the wheat and chaff, so far DCS seem promising. My impression is that say in the last year or so, maybe Lithium ion may have come of age for boat use. Or once again, I'm miss lead by sales talk.

For this reason I'm looking for hands on experiences with Lithium ion replacement battery's.

Many thanks in advance. Kryg
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 18:43   #2

Re: Australian DCS 12V 100Ah (Lithium Ion) Batteries supplied out of Queensland?

ALL “Lithium” batteries are “lithium ion” - the far more important part is what specific chemistry...... eh, lithium iron phosphate, lithium cobalt oxide, lithium titanate, lithium polymer and so on, some are quite safe and reliable, others not so much
mickt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 22:33   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Australian DCS 12V 100Ah (Lithium Ion) Batteries supplied out of Queensland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickt243 View Post
ALL “Lithium” batteries are “lithium ion” - the far more important part is what specific chemistry...... eh, lithium iron phosphate, lithium cobalt oxide, lithium titanate, lithium polymer and so on, some are quite safe and reliable, others not so much

The battery pictured in the link is labelled LiFePo4.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 18:10   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Which is the good one if accurate
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:43   #5

Thumbs up Re: Australian DCS 12V 100Ah (Lithium Ion) Batteries supplied out of Queensland?

this companies lithium battery products are well ahead of the rest of the industry.

Their larger housing batteries are being tested in Canberra by ITP renewables program more info here: https://onestepoffthegrid.com.au/new...-technologies/

They are also one of the first companies in Australia to be providing a 3 year under bonnet replacement warranty on their dual battery systems: https://www.deepcyclesystems.com.au/...setup-lithium/
- with hundreds of 4WD mining vehicles running them under bonnets in WA, NT and far Northern QLD, so are also proven in the heat and corrugated roads and daily engine starting

They designed the 12V 80Ah Extreme batteries which where developed for the British Navy, you can see the test video on their website: https://www.deepcyclesystems.com.au/...treme-battery/

Their batteries are used in high end off grid rural installations, their cheapest system is $44,000: https://www.deepcyclesystems.com.au/...rement-system/

Their 12V 100Ah marine batteries run cell balancing down to 10mV using a Toshiba Battery Management System, also their pricing is like a good 20-25% cheaper than competing products so it difficult to find anything superior at that price range, it was an easy purchase because their technical support was top notch.

I've been running 3 of their 12V 100Ah marine spec (the blue ones) in my Jeanneau 39I since 2014 and they have been perfect. I also asked them to upgrade my old solar panels and supply the solar system and they supplied me with 2 x 325W Sunpower panels and the solar and storage system is simply amazing. By 9am every morning the batteries are fully charged regardless of how much power we are using during the night.
PaulT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, queensland