Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2020, 06:58   #1

Boat: Nordic 40
AGM to Lithium Conversion

Hi All,

thinking about doing the conversion to lithium from AGM and trying to get my head around what's needed and what I can use from my existing setup before I do. The existing DC AGM batteries are from 2010 and need to be replaced. Depending on how much of the existing system needs to be replaced I may just stick with AGM with and replace what I have.

As context I recently purchased the boat in Oct of 2019 and am getting it prepped for an extended cruise this summer in the north east.

I'm also not near the boat currently so my details on systems is limited to the notes I took before I left it at the end of last year so bear with me if all the details are limited. I will try and be as detailed based on what I know.

Currently the boat is equipped with:

House Bank: 4 full river DC-250 at 6v batteries wired in series and parallel to provide 500 ah at 12v from 2010

Starter battery: DC-115 at 12v from 2010

Alternator: Original alternator currently installed (Westerbeke 46) but found a new Leece Neville 110 amp high output alternator still in package onboard. I figure the previous owner bought it but never got around to installing it.

Inverter/Charger: Xantrex Freedom Marine 20

Solar Panels - 5 x 75w rigid monocrystaline panels

MPPT Charge controller: Outback FLEXmax 60

My main question is before I go and buy anything, will my charger/inverter (Xantrex Freedom 20) work with my new lithium batteries or do I need to replace the charger/inverter.

Obviously trying to not replace anything that works in current setup.

I've included a table from the manual that highlights the available voltage settings. There isn't a lithium setting but wondering if one of the other settings might work

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...1&d=1582987957

All help appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image (6).png
Views:	150
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	209713  
toms-gonesailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 15:15   #2

AGM to Lithium Conversion

I would consider to buy a sterling alt to Bat charger or similar and keep the old start battery. This way you can keep all your existing stuff. Just wire both the alt and the xantrex into the sterling’s input and set the output from the sterling to lifepo4. This is what I did and works great. You still need some new relays, fuses and possibly a bms but you don’t need to throw anything out except maybe your starter/house battery isolator (the sterling takes it place)
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 15:31   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: AGM to Lithium Conversion

Unless you live on board I wouldn't bother. You have to change your way of thinking as Lithium do not like to be left fully charged. There is a facebook group called Lithium on board I think with a lot of info. Good luck

Tags
agm