Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2023, 13:41   #31

Re: ABYC definition of “conduit”

I always use an MBRF fuse on every battery positive terminal - even with AGM. It strikes me as safer than even a conduit to fuse right at the battery. And it doesn’t cost much.

I’d also like the ABYC to take another look at the AIC issue. I find it hard to believe that even an ANL fuse with a 7500 AIC wouldn’t break the circuit on a 300AH drop in that is so common now on large recreational boat lithium banks (assuming that the BMS also fails to interrupt at its 400 amp spec).

My entire battery bank is fused with a 500 amp Class T fuse to protect the wire but I suspect an ANL would be safe and cost less.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2023, 15:42   #32

Boat: Lagoon 380
ABYC definition of “conduit”

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
…..

I’d also like the ABYC to take another look at the AIC issue. I find it hard to believe that even an ANL fuse with a 7500 AIC wouldn’t break the circuit on a 300AH drop in that is so common now on large recreational boat lithium banks (assuming that the BMS also fails to interrupt at its 400 amp spec).

My entire battery bank is fused with a 500 amp Class T fuse to protect the wire but I suspect an ANL would be safe and cost less.

The ANL will for sure fuse. But the other requirements besides fusing, is remaining intact without causing a local hazard with spewing molten metal, etc. Can a 12v 300Ah circuit even develop 7500 Amps?
R= 12/7500= 1.6 milliOhms of Total circuit resistance.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote