Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2010, 05:32   #316

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold
ozdownunder... Privilege 585s command a lot of money. Usually at least as much as the original purchase price. Many of them are used as up-market crewed charter boats out in the Caribbean and they are always busy as they are just about the most desirable cat available without going to a custom build.

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2010, 06:07   #317

Hi Hefestus,

Thanks for your input will certainly look into these vessels.

Regards Terry
ozdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 12:48   #318

Boat: Privilege 435
Advice sought on mast size...

I am in the process of refurbishing a Privilege 435. The boat has no mast and I cannot find anywhere to guide me on what size it should be. The height of the mast is readily avaialbe (56') but not the cross sectional dimensions.

I cannot afford to buy a new one from Alliura so I am considering buying a good used one or buying a new mast locally. I am a novice sailor and will not be taking the boat across the ocean for a few years but I do not want to undersize the mast.

Any guidance or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2010, 22:54   #319

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
I am in the process of refurbishing a Privilege 435. The boat has no mast and I cannot find anywhere to guide me on what size it should be. The height of the mast is readily avaialbe (56') but not the cross sectional dimensions.
Cat masts are much thicker material than monohull masts. They have to cope with significantly more force than a mono during gusts especially.

A good mast manufacturer should have the specifications. In UK I would approach Z Spars for a quote.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:09   #320

Boat: Privilege 39
Quote:
Maybe the factory would be willing to provide drawings - it would be worth dropping them an email (include your hull#)... Even if you have to pay for them, it would be worthwhile to make sure the new mast is consistent with design spec+loads.
scotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:00   #321

Boat: lagoon 57 cat 'merlin'
MAST INFO

Quote:

I cannot afford to buy a new one from Alliura so I am considering buying a good used one or buying a new mast locally. I am a novice sailor and will not be taking the boat across the ocean for a few years but I do not want to undersize the mast.
e about anything, but did get info from Marc Lombard re stability on my $*@
Any guidance or advice will be greatly appreciated.
I have had no luck with Privilege about anything, but did get help from Marc Lombard regards stability calcs. he can be found on Line.
Re. actually getting a mast, after countless emails and phone calls all over the world I got a good deal on a new one for my 482 through Marina Rigging in Long Beach Ca.
H2OHOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:27   #322

Boat: Privilege 435
Thanks guys. I appreciate it . Ill touch base with Marina Rigging.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 07:37   #323

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozdownunder View Post
My question is can a husband and wife operate a 59ft Privilege with out crew? as I dont want to pay for crew.
A 48 foot catamaran is a LOT of boat to handle for a couple. If you mean can you sail from anchorage to anchorage in good conditions, a couple can do a 60 footer. If you mean most other things, no. It is too much boat for SO many reasons. I have crewed on a larger cats. There is enough to keep a crew (3) busy on a comfortable basis, a crew of 2 busy fairly constantly. A couple? your wife would shoot you cause all you would be doing is maintaining the boat. Sailing would be stressful because that size you'd tend to want to do extended cruising and anything longer than overnight is going to be HARD with just the two of you. Add kids.... Well you know how much work that can be. If I were going to do without crew, I'd consider the 48 to be as large as we could handle.

Quote:
What are the pros and cons of owning a Larger Privilege as I want my family and I the travel with comfort, what would it cost to operate a 59 ft with regards to maintance and average cost of fuel usage over a year( main motors an Gen) I know it depends on a lot of things, but anyone input would be helpfull.
AHHH.. If you have to ask, you can't afford it!?

Maintenance is a solid 10% of the cost of the boat each year. Especially in this size boat. Because of your beam, you'll have to haul at yards with large (100 ton) lifts. They charge a premium for this privilege (yes, that's a bad pun!). That and materials and complex systems that break. So, plan / count on $100,000 (US dollars) per year.

I don't know how they tax where you are, but in most location here in the US, we would expect a tax bill in the 1-2% range. On the assessed value of the boat.

Fuel is the good part. Probably 2 liter/hour for the genset. Math is easy from there. How many hours do you run your genset? (Maybe 24 hours a day if you're away from the dock?) How much does a liter of diesel cost in your parts?

Motoring hmmm. 10 liter/s per hour if you're running both engines. half that on 1 engine. None with the sails.

Marinas! For that luxurious a boat you're going to be in one a lot. How much and where are you going to find one? With a 30 foot beam, you're going to be constrained. You'll be in mega yacht sections and/or tees. These are premium spots here in the states, they get premium prices

Quote:
What would be concidered crew for this size of boat? one skipper and a deck hand> or what, remembering we want to do it ourself, husband 50, wife 45 and girl 10 and son 8.
I'd try to get a couple. Two would be close to ideal in my mind. More, and the sleeping arrangements get interesting. One person is light, unless you're just thinking of hiring a captain to maintain it in port and steer for day cruising.

Quote:
We are looking to travel Jan next year and need to purchase a boat, will sell house in six months and then buy a boat once we have located a suitable boat.
It takes a while to outfit a boat. It takes even longer to redo one to be consistent with your sailing style and the systems you want on-board. Your time frames may be VERY aggressive.

Quote:
Which leads me to my final question, I know that the 589's are priced in the range of 1.3m - 1.6$US what is the likley price for one of these vessels taking into account that there are now lots of cats for sale and not that cind of money floating around, remembering that $1m houses are now selling for $200k now.

Regards Tezza

Hmmmm.... Why would you think there is not that kind of $ around? I have several acquaintances with million dollar boats. They have lost some money in the past years, but not so much so that they are scrambling to give away their boats. On gentleman has his listed for 2.3 million currently. After some discussion with him over many bottles of wine and rum, he conceded he'd be willing to go as low as 1.8 mill or so. That's 20% off the list. He knows it will take a LONG time to sell. He expect it to take something on the order of 2 years or so. So, I guess it is how well you negotiate and how much the seller likes you!?
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:17   #324
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
... remembering that $1m houses are now selling for $200k now.
Regards Tezza
Actually, those houses were probably always only worth $200k, in reality.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:35   #325

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Actually, those houses were probably always only worth $200k, in reality.
Not to mention that at the time of the crash, they're was an over supply of homes on the market which is precisely the opposite the case with cats. So many boat makers have gone out of business, that there is a pent up demand for new cats that's not likely to dissipate for some time. I don't really foresee cat prices falling much anytime soon. If anything, I see prices starting to climb in the coming year.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:58   #326

Actually 18 liters per hour.
Old 12-04-2010, 17:01   #327

585 Privilege

Hi all, thanks for your words here, its a great help.

Keep it up and happy sailing.

Regards terry
ozdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2010, 10:32   #328

Boat: 1991 Privilege 39"
Hi,

I need to replace the interior wooden frames on the hatches. Does anyone have a source? Right now I am having a carpenter custom build a few of them for me, but it is very expensive, becaue he has to build a jig for each size frame.

Thanks,

Patty
PattyHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 02:57   #329

Several years ago, I emailed the factory back in France on obtaining replacement trim pieces. They said they could provide them. Perhaps you can contact them? You can get contact information from their website.
Old 24-08-2010, 07:31   #330

Boat: 1991 Privilege 39"
Interior wood frames

Hi,

I had to replace my hatch interior wood frames. I sent an email to the factory with no response.

I had a local carpenter build new frames. They turned out beautiful. He built them from hard maple and the are laminated just like the original ones.

They cost $200 each due to the amount of time he had to put into them. If anyone is interested I can get you in contact with him.

I am going to have him make some of the smaller frames and he will need to break down the larger hatch jig to build the smaller frames.

Patty
pattyghamilton@gmail.com
PattyHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
privilege