Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2021, 07:46   #16

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Drones forbidden what happens to onboard drone when visiting Morocco?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Because they are annoying as s$))))! If i could ban them in my neighborhood i would.

Leafblowers too. So now you know the sort of crank i am, LOL.
In Morroco they are forbidden because of terrorism risks and some idiots who tried to fly over the royal palace.
Old 16-11-2021, 09:08   #17

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
In Morroco they are forbidden because of terrorism risks and some idiots who tried to fly over the royal palace.

Mmm I like that angle. Got anything for leafblowers?
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 12:00   #18

I was busted flying into Marrakech with a drone. They picked it up by X-ray in my bag as we left the airport. The police confiscated it, saying I could have it back when I flew out from Marrakech.

The plan was to exit Morocco by ferry to Spain, so they suggested I find a friend to carry it out of Marrakech. This I did, and was reunited with the drone later.

You might be able to retrieve it as you depart the port you arrived at, and re-surrender it at your next port of call.

I suspect the regulation might be related to the large assets of the king, who lives behind high walls. He doesn’t want pictures of his obscene wealth in a relatively poor country.
dstraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 14:37   #19

What if you were to decommission the drone by disassembly and store the components separately. If it was not complete or functional then it could be declared as drone parts only with no chance of use. Much like firearm parts in some areas of the USA
preventec47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 15:01   #20

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by preventec47 View Post
What if you were to decommission the drone by disassembly and store the components separately. If it was not complete or functional then it could be declared as drone parts only with no chance of use. Much like firearm parts in some areas of the USA
What a great way to find out what the inside of a Moroccan prison looks like! "I'm just bringing in drone parts that could be put together to make an unregistered drone that some unhappy citizen might load with C-4 and fly into a police station." Ghost guns made from "reassembled parts" are a big reason for increased homicide rates in the U.S. Not something other countries want to emulate.

Question for the customs procedure - how does one come by the ATA carnet? Do you need a customs agent? The other option - a receipt signed by the Authorities- seems like it might have a cost associated with it - "covered by an approved surety". in French "une caution" is the term used for something like a deposit on a rental car. It does not sound like the people up the thread had to shell out any untoward amounts, but the language raises the issue.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 21:01   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by preventec47 View Post
A few things to consider,

Customs will have a number of questions for you about those parts.
I brought a few extra iPhones into Mauritius as gifts for family. Agent got extra curious about what else I had. I discovered just how many parts go in a ballpoint pen.

They will DEFINITELY want to know who your bringing them to. Drones are illegal and you have a bunch of parts for one.

Story time,
Years ago I knew a guy who bought a “navy” sear for his mp5 which according to him was fine so long as the two never met. Of course they did eventually and while out playing with his toy in the woods a cop showed up. He was arrested for the illegal firearm. After that I have no idea what happened to him after that.

Drones are about as subtle as a gun. Every cop there knows drones are contraband and in my experiences in the region many lack a sense of humor. Additionally, you have the risk of a civilian dropping a dime on you.

In short, I certainly wouldn’t smuggle anything in much less fly one.

It just takes one curious LEO to create an uncomfortable conversation.
Say10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2021, 22:40   #22

Boat: no boat any more

...I wonder what a country banning drones would rate on the "Western-democracy-scale"...?What's next: cameras?
Old 25-11-2021, 01:05   #23

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...I wonder what a country banning drones would rate on the "Western-democracy-scale"...?What's next: cameras?
In countries with a much higher terrorism threat and, in normal times, high dependance on tourism I can follow their thoughts.

That has very little to do with the level of democracy.
Even though they are surely not on the highest level of democracy when compared to typical western democracies. Still, than democracy is not the most established type of political system in countries rooted in tribal governance.

A drone is posing much more risks than a camera.
The drone can find targets and it can be loaded with explosives. It can fly to its target without endangering the perpetrator.

All not things a typical camera could do.
Old 25-11-2021, 01:10   #24

Boat: no boat any more

I was thinking "camera drones", but of course you are right re terrorism threat. (Morocco btw is, for an islamic country, comparatively "high" on a "western Enlightenment" rating & according to a former colleague, a Moroccan, thanks to the french colonial period there are no tribal identities/affiliations any more in Morocco, & to quote him "otherwise morocco would be today where Afghanistan is"
Old 25-11-2021, 01:41   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
That’s neither here nor there. We Americans sometimes have a real sense of entitlement. There’s very legitimate reasons, especially there.

In Yemen a rebel group Houthi’s strap grenades and guns on them.

Sounds kooky, but I’ll bet Saudi Arabia’s Aramco would love banning those pests.

It’s an incredibly effective tool. Drones have been behind numerous devastating attacks on refineries and pipelines.

Maybe costing $10,000 a drone strike shuttered a refinery in the capital Riyadh for months. I can’t imagine what that cost, or the embarrassment.

I’m not saying it’s a bastion of freedom and democracy it’s far from. I’m just suggesting there’s more reasons than suggested earlier.
Say10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Morocco