Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Oceania - Australiana
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 21:24   #31

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Yachtie Rescued Off Tasmania's East Coast

This is called the Tassie game , you look , you see the High and then you look again and it is gone. I would say the BOM guys watch too much Starwars , they think they are Jedi masters. One moment you see it , next you dont. I play this game in Beauty point now for 4 weeks.
SV DINGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 23:58   #32

Boat: Compass 28

I am constantly amazed at how common it seems for people to have failures of engine, transmission, coupling or prop after service by so-called professionals. Best to learn to DIY if you can.

I'm even more amazed at the VMR guy who didn't know what the DSC button is for!

Good on the skipper for getting back, extra good on the rescuers.

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 00:38   #33

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
I am constantly amazed at how common it seems for people to have failures of engine, transmission, coupling or prop after service by so-called professionals. Best to learn to DIY if you can.

I'm even more amazed at the VMR guy who didn't know what the DSC button is for!

Good on the skipper for getting back, extra good on the rescuers.

Cheers, Graeme
I'm not even remotely amazed...
The Australian government... when GMDSS turned up... shamefully declared the whole continent to be an A3 area.... essentially EPIRBs and HF DSC through Charleville and Wiluna with no federal/AMSA responsibility for VHF and MF DSC at all....

https://www.amsa.gov.au/safety-navig...-safety-system

So if you press the DSC button on your VHF you will get no AMSA assistance whatsoever and will be relying on the offchance of a nearby volunteer outfit or a passing ship receiving you.

I suspect the same government functionaries that were behind this were also behind the shutdown of Radio Australia.... although one of the dirty digger's goons was the frontwoman for that nasty bit of sabotage..

Damn this tinfoil hat... its giving me a headache.... time for a Bex and a little lie down...
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:22   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
... I suspect the same government functionaries that were behind this were also behind the shutdown of Radio Australia.... although one of the dirty digger's goons was the frontwoman for that nasty bit of sabotage..
Damn this tinfoil hat... its giving me a headache.... time for a Bex and a little lie down...
Is the 'dirty digger' Rupert Murdock, and if so, how did he come by that moniker?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:27   #35

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Is the 'dirty digger' Rupert Murdock, and if so, how did he come by that moniker?
Yes.. Murdoch is the 'Dirty Digger'

Given that name by the UK publication 'Private Eye' back in the dream time when he turned up in the UK/Fleet Street... and proceeded to screw with the free press in the UK.

His mother was a very nice lady.....
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 02:10   #36

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Well I have been holed up inside gippsland lakes for past 7days the wind here has been reaching 30knt gusting from 36to 40 it is mainly coming from s/w it only change direction on sat to nne for about 9hrs then back to ssw and Monday morning at 2am it let rip again in Oz we are having a al La Niña weather event this yr is the first time my property has seen rain in five yrs
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 10:22   #37

Just read the news story. That is an impressive rescue. Hats off to all concerned. I guess the sailor was concerned about making port without a motor for the inshore maneuvering.
southseasailor2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2020, 22:27   #38

Boat: Lagoon 450 Flybridge

I too am a sea rescue volunteer (Fremantle VMR), where we undertake between 400 and 600 rescues/assists every year, with a fleet of 4 vessels and 2 jet skis.

To clarify, the chain of command for SAR in Australia ...
1. AMSA (Australian Maritime Safety Authority) is fully federally funded and has international SAR responsibly over a very broad are in the southern hemisphere, which of course includes Australia. They monitor EPRIBs alerts etc
2. AMSA delegates authority to state level police for SARs in their geography
3. Volunteer SARs work under delegated authority for the state police for some SARs (as well as independently in some activities).

So technically, ALL rescues involving human safety are federally or state funded. All rescues where life is at risk will be responded to. There is no obligation to save property (which is where volunteer groups and salvage operators come in)

It is not true that VMRs are totally self funded in all states - here in WA the Department of Fire and Emergency Services provides strong operational funding, and generously assists with asset replacements. I believe NSW is state funded too.

Yes, the VMRs do need additional funding to be effective, to fund assets and are part of the overall safety net.
anthonyp0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 01:03   #39

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

In NSW (where I am a volunteer with Marine Rescue NSW), the NSW Police are responsible for maritime rescue (like all rescue). However, all monitoring of the coast is done by MR NSW. If we receive a call for assistance in the open ocean, it is passed onto the Police. In most cases, they then reassign it back to MR NSW to carry out the rescue.

All MR vessels in NSW are provided by the NSW Government. Some money is provided too. However, individual units have to raise money for fuel, servicing, replacement equipment etc. This is considerable. There is a levy on all boat registrations in NSW which goes towards the funding. My unit just received a new rescue vessel, 12 metres long and three 325hp outboards. An amazing vessel that greatly increases our ability to rescue at sea in bad conditions. However, we received no extra money for fuel or maintenance (30% more each year now at least).

We do not charge for any rescue, but would expect a donation to cover at least the cost of the fuel we use in a rescue. On the weekend the boat I was helming rescued a yacht which was involved in an accident with another one during a race and which had a badly injured crewman on board. We had to tow it back to a wharf (it ended up with a sheet around the prop) where we were met by ambulance and Police. We received no donation for this as we did not ask for one due to the circumstances, so we are out of pocket a great deal.

To be honest, the Government should fully fund us so we don't need to ask for donations, it takes a lot of time for our members to raise money when we could be more productive with other activities and training.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 02:30   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
... still looking for my dog.... and his chain...
Are you serious? Or is this some obscure form of Aussie humour?

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 02:42   #41

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post

LittleWing77
no, not humour

the wind in australia is well known to blow dogs off chains...and drop bears out of trees

cheers,
Old 15-12-2020, 02:44   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanngrisnir View Post
Confused, I can see the wind direction was favourable before the front comes across...

That is one serious low coming across South of Auz. Somebody please remind me. In the Southern Hemisphere what quadrant of a storm system is the worst to be caught out in?

In the Northern Hemisphere, it's the SW. But maybe it's the same, regardless of the direction of rotation...?

Fair winds (please weather gods!)
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 03:16   #43

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
That is one serious low coming across South of Auz. Somebody please remind me. In the Southern Hemisphere what quadrant of a storm system is the worst to be caught out in?

In the Northern Hemisphere, it's the SW. But maybe it's the same, regardless of the direction of rotation...?

Fair winds (please weather gods!)
LittleWing77
the black arrow is going between the hills in Victoria and the Top of Tasmania,
It gets funnelled thru there very Violently at times,

I live on the top of the Black arrow, About the middle of Bass Strait,

Thats Bass Strait,

Each end of it has some very violent oceans in bad weather,
Try not to be out there in bad weather,
The Sydney Hobart Race Yachts sank on the eastern end of it,
The weather can change there very dramatically,
It can go from a Mill Pond, To the Car Ferrys from Melbourne to Tasmania stopping services,
Huge waves and screaming winds,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 03:35   #44
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

LittleWing77
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
no, not humour

the wind in australia is well known to blow dogs off chains...and drop bears out of trees

cheers,
There are times when it is so strong, it blows the milk outa yer tea.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2020, 03:41   #45

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
There are times when it is so strong, it blows the milk outa yer tea.
I hate it, when it does that, Bugga,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, rescue, yacht