Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2019, 04:40   #1

Yacht Brokers - Cairns, Australia

Hi y'all,
Thinking of selling my Island Packet 380 when I land at Cairns later this year. Anyone able to recommend a 'good and knowledge' broker? I've surfed and got a list of four in the Cairns area but would like to get some personal feedback instead of just sticking a pin in the page to select one.

Thank you!
JacquieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2019, 13:11   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Yacht Brokers - Cairns, Australia

You might get better exposure if you headed to Brisbane or Pittwater. Not sure what your boats flag is, but if its not already Australian then the boat has to be imported and import duties and GST paid prior to putting it up for sale.
Old 25-01-2019, 14:58   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Yacht Brokers - Cairns, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You might get better exposure if you headed to Brisbane or Pittwater. Not sure what your boats flag is, but if its not already Australian then the boat has to be imported and import duties and GST paid prior to putting it up for sale.
JackieO,

Here's a little amplification, which will explain why I agree with what Paul wrote. The entire population of Australia is less than that of California.

Brisbane is the largest city in Queensland, therefore, the largest market for a used boat, in Oz, with the possible exception of the Sydney/Pittwater area in NSW.

However, the used boat market is pretty soft here, plus IP does not have the cachet it does in the US, where there is a specifically IP market. Brisbane also offers the virtue of being outside the cyclone belt, which would be a concern unless your boat will be priced at bargain basement prices. [Maybe this could be a rationalization to complete, or almost complete, a circumnavigation, and sell it in FL?]

My suggestion would be to interview a few brokers, ask to see what they've sold recently, see how you feel about them, and the input they give you. They will show you their strengths and weaknesses, just keep your "antennae" out. Then decide.

Ann

Tags
Australia, yacht