Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Oceania - Australiana
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2022, 23:16   #1

Boat: Outremer 55L
Wineries accessible from the Tamar River

Hello wine lovers of Tasmania! Does anyone know which wineries can be accessed from the Tamar River? We’re heading that way later this week and have heard that some wineries have jetties on the river. The criteria for a river-accessible winery is that it is less than 200m from the jetty.

We’re thinking of anchoring at Beauty Point and using the dinghy to head up the river. Is this a good plan?

I’ll post a trip report once we’re done.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 13:29   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Wineries accessible from the Tamar River

Take the big boat up the Tamar, enjoy the whole trip. It is a lovely one. There is a winery (accessible by your definition). Where is it? Well, I don't remember it exactly, but I think it was across and a little down from the Church at Rosevears. It even may be on your chart!

Someone you could send a PM to who probably knows, is Ambler. Or ask at the yacht club.

The walk up the Gorge is nice. We saw it in normal weather and also in flood. You couldn't see the swimming pool at all in the flood. Oh, and if there is a big rain, go back down river...before the flood.

Ann
Old 07-02-2022, 16:47   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

As a first pass to let you do a bit more research

https://www.google.com/maps/search/t...8769636,10.53z
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 21:07   #4

We’ve anchored at Spring Bay, about a third of the way up the river and past all the commercial shipping docks.

From the north, the first public wharf managed by MAST is at Bonnie Beach. It is a small floating dock suitable for maybe up to 8m boat. The northern Tamar River wineries (Chartley Estate, Iron Pot Bay Vineyard, Waterton Hall Wines, Goaty Hill Wines) do not have docks or wharves near them and would be LONG walks.

The first one a reasonable (30 minute) walk is Marion’s Vineyard, not too far from the Deviot Pontoon. It is suitable for a large yacht.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1644556004.560931.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	252768

Unfortunately it was low tide and the boat ramp landing area much nearer to the winery had 10m of really soft mud down to the water. There’s also a large wharf directly below the winery but it doesn’t look very safe and it’s ladder ended a metre above low water level, so longish walk it was.

We are heading all the way up river to Launceston tomorrow and will winery-hop on the way back with a further report.
Old 10-02-2022, 21:20   #5

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Here you go - In central Lonny and within walking distance of the yacht club

https://store.danmurphys.com.au/stor...aunceston-7230
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 22:22   #6

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Here you go - In central Lonny and within walking distance of the yacht club

https://store.danmurphys.com.au/stor...aunceston-7230

Yeah but I believe that they get upset if you uncork instore for a tasting.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 22:22   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

I wouldn't consider a Dan Murphy's bottle shop to be a "winery" in any way, shape or form
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 22:25   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
We’ve anchored at Spring Bay, about a third of the way up the river and past all the commercial shipping docks.

From the north, the first public wharf managed by MAST is at Bonnie Beach. It is a small floating dock suitable for maybe up to 8m boat. The northern Tamar River wineries (Chartley Estate, Iron Pot Bay Vineyard, Waterton Hall Wines, Goaty Hill Wines) do not have docks or wharves near them and would be LONG walks.

The first one a reasonable (30 minute) walk is Marion’s Vineyard, not too far from the Deviot Pontoon. It is suitable for a large yacht.
Attachment 252768

Unfortunately it was low tide and the boat ramp landing area much nearer to the winery had 10m of really soft mud down to the water. There’s also a large wharf directly below the winery but it doesn’t look very safe and it’s ladder ended a metre above low water level, so longish walk it was.

We are heading all the way up river to Launceston tomorrow and will winery-hop on the way back with a further report.
Unfortunately this approach is prevalent in much of Australia, opportunities for greater water accessibility, for all, are too often ignored or worked against.

Old 10-02-2022, 22:25   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

...and might that not have been the point?! Did thee not have a wee chuckle:!?
Old 10-02-2022, 22:29   #10

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I wouldn't consider a Dan Murphy's bottle shop to be a "winery" in any way, shape or form
Yeah, walk into a winery with a wine thief and they will think you are a pro from the biz. Walk into Dan M's with one and t hey call the cops!

Jim
Old 10-02-2022, 22:38   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

...and might that not have been the point?! Did thee not have a wee chuckle:!?
Aye, I did.

Old 11-02-2022, 02:27   #12

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

i don't think you can access from the tamar without some difficulty, but for our money the pick of the wineries in the area is Josef Chromy Wines (https://josefchromy.com.au/)

well worth the trouble !

cheers,
Old 11-02-2022, 10:21   #13

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Unfortunately this approach is prevalent in much of Australia, opportunities for greater water accessibility, for all, are too often ignored or worked against.
I have not lived there for 20 years but there were a couple of wineries up the Swan River from Perth and they were regularly visited by a couple of large tourist boats regularly in addition to the private ones.
Old 12-02-2022, 01:49   #14

Just got back from a full day upriver to Launceston and back in our dinghy - 1.5 hours at 17 knots. We left our cat anchored in Spring Bay as that is the last decent anchorage on the river and we didn’t want to hassle with moorings or docks in town, where there is very limited space for visitors. And at low tide very little water - the dock at the Tamar Yacht Club dries out at low tide!

Launceston is a very cool town to visit. Third oldest settlement in Australia after Hobart and Sydney, with lots of beautifully restored buildings from the early 1800s. Easy walking distance to town and shopping and a free tourist bus that takes you past all the interesting bits. Highlights for us were the Japan sister-city sourced Macaque monkey tribe at the City Park (big ones, medium ones, little ones and new borns) and the South Esk River, encompassing the walk along the Cataract Gorge, dinghy ride up the river to the falls and the Cataract Gorge Reserve. A very cool looking adventure park that was closed by the time we found it is the Penny Royal Adventures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1644658580.450462.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	447.5 KB
ID:	252820

For wineries we struck out today. The only MAST pontoon and non private dock with walking access to several wineries is at Rosevears. Rotherhythe Vineyard is closest to the dock, but didn’t answer a phone call about whether they’re open for tastings, and Lipoto Springs and Tamar Ridge were closed by the time we were on our way back. Rosevears is the dock along the river with the most local amenities with a hotel and a restaurant right across the street.

Beauty Point could be worth a visit with its Seahorse World and Platypus House attractions, but otherwise not a very nice place and very open to any easterly quarter winds.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:31   #15

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You must truly be so much fun, we must meet up next time I am in PNG - then again - maybe not.

Most people go to a winery, buy some overpriced wine , and sit outside in the sunshine enjoying it.

At Dans you can always enjoy a 'goon of rough red in their carpark but I must admit I think the forecourt of the Albury Centrelink has superior clientele and more pleasant 'ombeyonce'.

Back on track and while a day out at any vineyard is a good day out ( l live but a few kms from Rutherglen, Vic) I can't say Tassie wines impress me. Overpriced for what you get - I prefer NZ whites and Chilean Carmeneres.
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote