Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Oceania - Australiana
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2021, 00:50   #1

Boat: Outremer 55L
Whitsunday Islands don’t seem all that great

We’ve made our way up the Queensland Coast from Southport over the past 6 weeks and are now in the Whitsundays. So far just the southern islands - St Bees, Brampton and Goldsmith. To say that we are underwhelmed is an understatement.

The water is cloudy, shark risk means nobody swims from their boat, most beaches are rough and shelly, what coral?

Have we just not got to the good bits? Or is this area really not all that it’s cracked up to be.

By comparison, Middle Percy Island, Great Keppel and the Capricorn reefs were awesome and we’re almost regretting making our way up here. We’ve got some deliveries waiting for us at Hamilton Island Marina and need to head into Airlie Beach for beer and sugar for our still.

Any suggestions?
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 00:59   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Whitsunday Islands don’t seem all that great

You managed to get the ABF permission? Had heard of only one other boat in NZ that received and then only for a brief stop some months ago enroute to South Africa.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:02   #3

Boat: Island Packet 40

The better coral tends to be on the southerly sides unfortunately the coral infested bays on the southerly sides of the islands tends to make them very poor anchorages.

The shark risk is no worse than anywhere else on the NQ coast if you avoid swimming at Cid harbour.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:08   #4

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
You managed to get the ABF permission? Had heard of only one other boat in NZ that received and then only for a brief stop some months ago enroute to South Africa.

I have AUS citizenship (dual) so they couldn’t refuse. Had to prove non-residence to get a control permit for the boat and avoid importing it.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 02:24   #5

Boat: Amel 50

Chartered a catamaran there with some family and friends in October 2018, and spent eight days sailing around the islands. It was worth doing, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to return. Been there, done that. The highlight was definitely Whitehaven Beach, which despite the crowds, is a beautiful spot.
acunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:35   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Any suggestions?
If the weather is reasonable, sail to the outer reef. It is only a short hop from the top of the Whitsundays.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 03:50   #7

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

The water is not clear because of the big tides. The further off the coast you get, the clearer the water. Ditto the further north as the tides get smaller. By the time you get to Airlie, the cloudiness creates that almost glowing blue azure look that contributes to the character of the place.

You've probably also been hanging out in all the north easterly protected spots. The eastern most bay on the north east side of Goldsmith is much nicer. Ditto for many other anchorages.

If you're still around Goldsmith, be sure to motor up the inside of the Smith group when heading north. It's probably just me, but I find motoring through there on a calm day to be quite alluring. Thomas Island is pretty cool as an anchorage and is the last charter boat free anchorage before hitting comedy central. Neck Cove on Shaw is good for a stop if weather permits. Next in NE winds is Chance or Turtle bays on Whitsunday Island, just around the corner from Whitehaven Beach. If you want to avoid the crowds of Whitehaven, you can go to the northern end or to Betty's beach or even sneak into Hill Inlet.

From there north to the top of Hook where the water is deep and clear and the snorkeling/diving good then around to Blue Pearl Bay and - my favourite - Langford Island off Hayman (via either over the top of Hook, or go via the Whitsunday passage and visit Nara Inlet along the way).

At some point you can visit Hammo, then finish up in Pioneer Bay off Airlie just for the dang of it.

Anyway that's the kind of itinerary I'd plan.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 11:35   #8

Boat: Phantom 32

Hope you have scuba. Anchored in the lee of the islands the wind dies at night and the tide often wraps your chain around the bommies. I also found it a bit under whelming and this was 30 years ago before all the tourists. It does get better the further north you go, oh but then there's the crocs
Jono as 2234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:06   #9

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by acunningham View Post
. The highlight was definitely Whitehaven Beach, which despite the crowds, is a beautiful spot.
It's a sandy beach with cloudy water, very ordinary imho.

Compare that to the inside of Moreton Island and the top half of Fraser island, biggest sand islands in the world, clear waters and miles and miles of beach to yourself

Never did much for us, always refered to it as the Shitsundays and cruised on past to better areas.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 13:15   #10

Boat: EuroCat 2000 71 ft

Whitsundays ,GKI , Swains, Outer Reef, Broadsound, Bowen, and on to Thursday Is- There are many unique places and anchorages that don't feature in the pilot book. Seek out the special features of each. Respect the natural beauty of each . Take your time . Consider time of year and weather. Relax , but do keep your findings secret! Last thing we need is for the Queensland Coast to end up overcrowded , like Med and Caribbean . Recent visit to GKI ,I counted (60) vessels but still enjoyed a week on my own. Search , it is there.
BobFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 13:36   #11

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

whitsundays has become way too touristy for us and we avoid it like the plague. you're right...we often wonder why we go past the percys & keppels etc...pearl bay & island head creek are other spots worth stopping, but keep heading on past the whitsundays and it gets better again

the lesser known island & reefs out on the GBR are the places to be. have you had a look at zulu waterways ?

unfortunately cyclones over the last few years have knocked a lot of the coral around, and it'll take time to come back

that reminds me : what are your plans for cyclone season ?

cheers,
Old 12-10-2021, 13:50   #12

I am thinking about the cyclone season . Often the best weather for Swains , Outer GBR and Coral Sea islands is during Summer. This year I had planned Summer in Tassie but the blasted restrictions are a concern.Hate to cross NSW border and not be able to return !! Like being sent to Van Diemen's land ! Perhaps , after refit in Brissie ,will venture North.The parameter would be , good weather reception and within a few days of bolt hole. Input most welcome!
Old 12-10-2021, 13:57   #13

Boat: Simpson 11m Catamaran

Hill inlet is the best anchorage on the East Coast IMHO. But I tend to agree, the "Tourist Zone" in the Whitsundays is not the best part. I prefer the less frequented southern islands. In fact anything south of the Linderman group.
Cliffhanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 14:01   #14

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Must be time of year. I went through there in August 2007. Hardly anyone at Whitehaven, water like glass, but plenty of sharks. Plenty of whales too--saw two whales tossing their baby into the air, it was spiralling as it flew through the air, having so much fun. Then a big bull surfaced just ahead of my portside ama. Most of his body must have been underneath the vessel, but he dived without touching us, although his tail when it came out of the water just in front of us spanned the vessel width--over twenty feet. Just near Pentecost we saw in the water what looked like a log, got closer to it and a baby whale popped out of it, and then we noticed about four other whales standing sentinel and we had almost blundered into the mother at the moment of birth. That was some trip--but the weather must have been optimal.

"You should have been here last week--
It was wonderful here last week.
The tides were right
And the Moon still bright
And the sea was clear
with the wind quite bland
And the whitest sand
And all the corals one might seek.
It was wonderful here last week."
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 14:35   #15

Mike ,I love your sentiments and Cliff, Hill Inlet is unique but the sandflies ?? Weather always dictates but after many years trying , finally scored perfect conditions at Hook and close Reefs.