Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Oceania - Australiana
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2020, 14:21   #16

Re: The best season to buy a sailboat in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Goose View Post
I dont think there is a best season to buy a boat. Plenty of boats are available all year round. I bought mine last year after two years of looking and to be honest I didnt notice any particular time when more boats came on to the market. Just take your time, don't rush, Its a buyers market at the moment, I know a few people who have been trying to sell for over 12 months. The one I purchased was probably on the market for nearly 12 months, but I didn't initially look at it as it was out of my budget, but an 80k price drop changed that. Just take your time and keep looking until you find what you want. With new listings coming up all the time just don't rush it.
Thank you for info. I have been looking for a while. The well known and well equipped boats were sold pretty much immediately.
Natali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 14:28   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Any time really. Australia is a big place so it depends on what area you are planning to look for a boat.

More boats are sold in summer in Tassie and more in winter in far north Qld.
At a guess, sales in Brisbane and Gold Coast are all year round (???).
Then there is Melbourne, Sydney, Darwin and Perth markets.

I think the biggest challenge will ready for blue water cruising and sub 30'. There are some out there but not as many as say 30+ years back. These days most (but not all) people who take a normal coastal cruiser and turn it into a blue water or off shore boat will more likely to be 35+'.

It might be quicker to find a well found coastal cruiser and upgrade it yourself.

Depends on one's definitions of blue water though
Thank you for the info. I completely agree that is the biggest challenge - to find one that is ready for blue water. Concerning this the question about the season was.
Natali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 15:28   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali View Post
..... I have been looking for a while. The well known and well equipped boats were sold pretty much immediately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natali View Post
...... I completely agree that is the biggest challenge - to find one that is ready for blue water. Concerning this the question about the season was.
Yes, the really good buys do sell quickly.

I have a mate who was looking for a well fitted out 40+'. He had been looking for maybe 18 months and at all markets in Oz. Occasionally one would pop up that ticked most of his requirements but for one reason or another, a sale never eventuated.

He checked the market on line daily and one morning he saw something that ticked all the boxes and was local. He called right away to arrange a viewing and signed the contract that afternoon (subject to survey). The survey was arranged for the next day and during the survey, the broker said he had had 4 or 5 calls about the boat in the last 24 hours.

A potential buyer even turned up during the survey in case my mate didn't go ahead with the deal. In this instance, even the seller was surprised at the interest but really it was well founded and maintained boat priced to sell. Not a bargain, just a good deal.

I think you have to be looking whatever the season and be ready to move when you see the "right boat".
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 15:10   #19

I am in a similar but different situation, looking for a sub 30 trailer sailer which doesnt have to be a blue water boat , so this is a great post to read and get some feed back from. Thanks
Nucopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 15:16   #20

Ps observed that the good boats that tick all the boxes go quickly and the ones that are over priced drop after the seller has had them on the market a while and gets realistic. Also there seems to be a lot of over priced fixer uppers out there. That give me the feeling that they could turn in to money pits.
Personally, I am doing all I can to be patient and not rush into anything and get caught buying some one elses lemon.
Nucopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 17:57   #21

Apologies for the thread resurrection, but I thought I'd chip in. Here in Perth there seem to be 2 distinct boat markets. I've noticed that what might be termed "recreational" boats (trailer sailer and small coastal cruisers) are quite seasonal and can get very expensive and scarce in summer, when everyone wants to get out on the water, but settle to more sensible levels when autumn rolls around. "Serious" boats (those with long term liveaboard or blue water potential) show much less variation, I'd guess because potential buyers tend to be working to a longer term plan, rather than "Blimey, it was hot last weekend. Wouldn't it be nice to catch some of those cool breezes over on Rotto. Let's see what's on Gumtree".
PatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 00:09   #22

Boat: Roberts 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Any time really. Australia is a big place so it depends on what area you are planning to look for a boat.

More boats are sold in summer in Tassie and more in winter in far north Qld.
At a guess, sales in Brisbane and Gold Coast are all year round (???).
Then there is Melbourne, Sydney, Darwin and Perth markets.

I think the biggest challenge will ready for blue water cruising and sub 30'. There are some out there but not as many as say 30+ years back. These days most (but not all) people who take a normal coastal cruiser and turn it into a blue water or off shore boat will more likely to be 35+'.

It might be quicker to find a well found coastal cruiser and upgrade it yourself.

Depends on one's definitions of blue water though

Hello, have you had any luck finding your Blue Water Sailing Boat in Australia?
Pearlsandwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 03:50   #23

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

There’s a couple of S&Ss on the market today that might suit.
One 30’, the other 36’
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2021, 04:59   #24
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlsandwaves View Post
Hello, have you had any luck finding your Blue Water Sailing Boat in Australia?
I wasn't looking for a boat, I was replying to the OP who was looking.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2021, 09:23   #25

Rigger Bruce I have a few questions I will pay you for your time
Sheldon Kane mahalos
kuleanakane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, boat, sail, sailboat