Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2021, 13:17   #1

Sail from NSW to Vanuatu

Hello every one I'm looking at sailing from Port Stephan's to Vanuatu and looking for any info on best rout and time of year I'm looking at August and straight course any body done this trip lately
Seaya100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 13:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Sail from NSW to Vanuatu

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Seaya.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 14:05   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Seaya and welcome aboard CF.

Ann and I have made the trip from Oz to Vanuatu/New Cas a dozen or more times. We've left from Sydney, Coffs, Southport, Brisbane and Bundy so far, and each has some useful feature. Our trips have been in July, August and early September, mostly in August as you are suggesting for yourself.

Now, you must know that you can't leave from Pt Stephens, for it is not a Customs port of entry/departure. You will need to depart from one of these official ports. We have found that Southport has the best combination of location, convenience and easy departure, and that is what we recommend, especially for first timers. Our scheme is to be fully prepared, watered and fueled, and having notified Customs of our intentions in advance. We then wait for an East Coast low to develop down near Sydney. This will provide a break in the SE trades with some W'ly flow for a day or three, and make an easy offing for you. We get as much Easting in as possible while that flow persists, and then, as the wind backs toward the E, we can usually fetch Passe Boularie (if going in to New Cal) or go around Torch Bank at the south end of the South lagoon and make the turn up toward Efate... usually without any beating involved.

Of course, the Covid situation may have considerable influence on your decisions. For now, NC is definitely closed, and likely Vanuatu too. What the future holds is quite unknown, and you should bear that in mind.

I'd be happy to answer more specific questions...

JIm
Old 04-05-2021, 18:35   #4

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

been thinking about same but worrying about the need for permission to leave aussie

how did you manage this please ? what are your thoughts / plans to return (vis a vis quarantine etc) ?

how did you go about getting permission to enter vanuatu ?

are you vaccinated and how did this affect various permissions ?

thanks your help

cheers,
Old 04-05-2021, 19:03   #5

FYI as to Vanuatu

COVID-19: CLOSED

As of 22 January, 2021:

The State of Emergency has been further extended and borders will now remain closed until at least 31st July, 2021.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 01:23   #6

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Check out noonsite.com. It will answer a lot of your questions.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 16:49   #7

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

Thread drift but is this Seaya formerly of Royal Melbourne Yacht Squadron. If it is you certainly got windward ability. You gotto remember that during Spanish influenza, some Pacific island nations got badly hit, and they have long memories, Vanuata, Isle of Pines, Samoa, I bet were the first to lock down (after China) in Feb 20. But who knows about travel bubble but moving around Pacific in 21 is problematic.
Old 05-05-2021, 17:42   #8

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Hi Jim and Ann,

My plan last year was to get Skoiern IV rebuild and ready to sail to Vanuatu this month! Best laid plans? My Boat ready, but the world is not. I hope this time next year lockdown restrictions will open up visiting Vanuatu! PS your How too note is useful as I have only sailed to New Caledonia in June. Thanks. Did you meet up with Peter Greig?

Wishing Best Navigational experiences!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
G'Day Seaya and welcome aboard CF.

Ann and I have made the trip from Oz to Vanuatu/New Cas a dozen or more times. We've left from Sydney, Coffs, Southport, Brisbane and Bundy so far, and each has some useful feature. Our trips have been in July, August and early September, mostly in August as you are suggesting for yourself.

Now, you must know that you can't leave from Pt Stephens, for it is not a Customs port of entry/departure. You will need to depart from one of these official ports. We have found that Southport has the best combination of location, convenience and easy departure, and that is what we recommend, especially for first timers. Our scheme is to be fully prepared, watered and fueled, and having notified Customs of our intentions in advance. We then wait for an East Coast low to develop down near Sydney. This will provide a break in the SE trades with some W'ly flow for a day or three, and make an easy offing for you. We get as much Easting in as possible while that flow persists, and then, as the wind backs toward the E, we can usually fetch Passe Boularie (if going in to New Cal) or go around Torch Bank at the south end of the South lagoon and make the turn up toward Efate... usually without any beating involved.

Of course, the Covid situation may have considerable influence on your decisions. For now, NC is definitely closed, and likely Vanuatu too. What the future holds is quite unknown, and you should bear that in mind.

I'd be happy to answer more specific questions...

JIm
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, Vanuatu