Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Oceania - Australiana
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2022, 16:03   #1

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Prescription medications in south pacific

we will shortly be travelling to tahiti to meet our new (to us) boat (a 44' cat). we will then spend the next 2-3 years cruising in the south pacific region.

my wife takes a range of prescription medications and is wondering if pharmacies in french polynesia, tonga, fiji etc will accept scripts written by an australian doctor ? it's a lot easier to carry repeat scripts than explaining to every customs guy what the pile of 3 years worth of pills is...

meds are usual sort of stuff - nothing too exotic or restricted

does anyone have any personal knowledge of this - one way or the other ?

cheers,
Old 02-06-2022, 16:10   #2

Boat: Jarkan King 40 12m
Re: Prescription medications in south pacific

The PBS in Australia has an procedure that allows all repeats on a prescription to be supplied at the one time; this will generally give you 6 months supply in one dispensing. Ask your doctor to endorse the script with"Regulation 24" most GP's and all Pharmacists will know about this. You could then possibly get more scripts after the 6 months by using a telehealth consultation with your GP; then have either the pharmacy or a friend mail the meds to you.
Bruce K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 16:20   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
The PBS in Australia has an procedure that allows all repeats on a prescription to be supplied at the one time; this will generally give you 6 months supply in one dispensing. Ask your doctor to endorse the script with"Regulation 24" most GP's and all Pharmacists will know about this. You could then possibly get more scripts after the 6 months by using a telehealth consultation with your GP; then have either the pharmacy or a friend mail the meds to you.
thanks bruce...much appreciated.

doing it by remote control like this is an interesting possibility. will look into it - although it does mean posting drugs and who knows how that would go these days (even prescription meds) !

cheers,
Old 02-06-2022, 17:23   #4

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Chris,

Can you buy the meds ahead of time and bring them with you? This is what I do when we Cruise. You might have to pay out of pocket since your insurance will most likely not cover the medications outside of standardized durations.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 17:47   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Chris, I've done both, had French doctors prescribe the medicine for me, based on a letter from my physician stating the med, dose, frequency of use, etc. Somebody from Alliance Francaise can translate the letter for you, not too hard to arrange, though I made out okay with my schoolgirl French.

And I've imported a drug not available in New Caledonia (the other part of Outremer in the South Pacific) to there from the States. In this latter case, one has to arrange with Customs in advance, and if it is refused to you, you go back at another time and try a different officer. Repeat as needed.

If you have plans to come back to Oz in a year or two, I'd try the Regulation 24. You'll have to remind most docs of it, but the pharmacies have no problem with it. Also, the pharmacy across from the Library in Pittwater is a compounding pharmacy, and they have done this for me numerous times. It is most convenient, even bus service from Church Point. Andrew Stone is the one in there that we know. A nice bloke. Especially if you are returning for cyclone season, it would be perfect for you guys.

And congrats on the new boat.

Ann
Old 02-06-2022, 20:33   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Chris,

Can you buy the meds ahead of time and bring them with you? This is what I do when we Cruise. You might have to pay out of pocket since your insurance will most likely not cover the medications outside of standardized durations.

Ben
thanks ben. that is certainly an option but as mentioned, it's one we're trying to avoid (and the PBS here means we don't have to pay much - if anything - for drugs irrespective of the duration...unlike your side of the lake)

cheers,
Old 02-06-2022, 20:47   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hi, Chris, I've done both, had French doctors prescribe the medicine for me, based on a letter from my physician stating the med, dose, frequency of use, etc. Somebody from Alliance Francaise can translate the letter for you, not too hard to arrange, though I made out okay with my schoolgirl French.

And I've imported a drug not available in New Caledonia (the other part of Outremer in the South Pacific) to there from the States. In this latter case, one has to arrange with Customs in advance, and if it is refused to you, you go back at another time and try a different officer. Repeat as needed.

If you have plans to come back to Oz in a year or two, I'd try the Regulation 24. You'll have to remind most docs of it, but the pharmacies have no problem with it. Also, the pharmacy across from the Library in Pittwater is a compounding pharmacy, and they have done this for me numerous times. It is most convenient, even bus service from Church Point. Andrew Stone is the one in there that we know. A nice bloke. Especially if you are returning for cyclone season, it would be perfect for you guys.

And congrats on the new boat.

Ann
thanks ann...that's good advice. debbie is seeing her GP next week and will follow up on the idea. may even be able to get a concise medical history to carry with - we'll see

yes, new boat is exciting - a big upgrade, at not much more than we sold star for (price being offered here for star was just too much to ignore ). plus it's somewhere warm. i'm guessing it's pretty arctic down there, but it's not much better here. cannot wait to be gone !

cheers,
Old 03-06-2022, 01:56   #8
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

Hi,
In Fiji I have shown them the bottle from the old prescription and they have filled it . It was a relatively common heart med. You may need to go to a few pharmacies as supply can be spotty

Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:15   #9

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Two experiences I have had in traveling the west and east costs of North and Central America.

1. In many countries no prescription is needed for most common medications. Often not even a letter or old prescription is needed although I have had those with me.

2. In some countries one cannot bring in prescription meds in someone else's name i.e. have visiting friend bring them for you.

As usual, often depends on the specific person you are dealing with there and a wrong answer often means just wait and ask a different person a bit later.
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 15:59   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
yes, new boat is exciting - a big upgrade, at not much more than we sold star for (price being offered here for star was just too much to ignore ). plus it's somewhere warm. i'm guessing it's pretty arctic down there, but it's not much better here. cannot wait to be gone !
Tahiti and Tahiti-Iti are among the most spectacularly beautiful places we've ever visited. There were also many interesting cultural events focused upon Bastille Day celebrations. Enjoy, there should be no problems with the meds.

Ann
Old 04-06-2022, 16:08   #11

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce K View Post
The PBS in Australia ...
In New Zealand every second repeat requires a Doctor's visit. (It' a rip in my view, especially for life long drugs such as Aspirin, Statins etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejs View Post
Hi,
In Fiji I have shown them the bottle from the old prescription and they have filled it . It was a relatively common heart med. You may need to go to a few pharmacies as supply can be spotty
Eric
Totally agree.
If you do get kicked back to a Doctor by the Chemist the Doctors are very cheap and provide excellent service.
Old 04-06-2022, 17:18   #12

thanks to all for input

ann : yes, we'll miss heiva as well... ...but cannot be helped

cheers,

Tags
south pacific