Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2020, 05:18   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 20
pirate Is a FP 36ft cat a blue water or not

Hi I’m new to cruise forum, I have sold my Roberts 27 and I am looking at buying a cruising cat and would love a Fountaine Pajot 42, but hard to find one for less than 300K. So considering a smaller boat smaller price, so could a 36 FP be OK in bad weather in blue water? Or would it be too uncomfortable, are the 36 ft ranked for blue water or not really.

Glad anyone’s opinion, especially anyone who has had both, thanks Dan.
Dan Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 06:32   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Posts: 12,577
Re: Is a FP 36ft cat a blue water or not

The FP Mahe is rated CE Category "A".


"Category A – Ocean: covers largely self-sufficient boats designed for extended voyages with winds of over Beaufort Force 8 (over 40 knots), and significant wave heights above 13 feet, but excluding abnormal conditions such as hurricanes."
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 07:24   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 20,409
Re: Is a FP 36ft cat a blue water or not

Do you mean Mahe?


In BAD WEATHER nothing is comfortable or safe. Displacement and size simply change the point beyond which your weather becomes bad weather.



Mahe is a small cat just like any other cat in the same category. They are all very comfortable boats and pleasure to sail in the tropics.


I would have zero regrets to sail one on the coconut milk run rtw.


As you noted, a slightly bigger thing may have some advantages, but in the end we all sail the boats we have.



b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 14:48   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 20
Re: Is a FP 36ft cat a blue water or not

Thanks good to know it’s class A
Dan Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 15:11   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: ABC's
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Posts: 1,755
Re: Is a FP 36ft cat a blue water or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
The FP Mahe is rated CE Category "A".


"Category A – Ocean: covers largely self-sufficient boats designed for extended voyages with winds of over Beaufort Force 8 (over 40 knots), and significant wave heights above 13 feet, but excluding abnormal conditions such as hurricanes."
The EU catagories are an interesting one. I wonder what my old Prout Snowgoose 35 would get if tested today. Regardless they've been all over the world.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to sail a 2010 Mahe 36 around even a little off the beaten path.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 17:08   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 20,409
Re: Is a FP 36ft cat a blue water or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
The EU catagories are an interesting one. I wonder what my old Prout Snowgoose 35 would get if tested today. Regardless they've been all over the world.

I personally wouldn't hesitate to sail a 2010 Mahe 36 around even a little off the beaten path.

PLEASE note what I am commenting below is NOT meant as a critique of Mahe 36. My opinion on Mahe has already been expressed in a post earlier in the thread.


Re RCD and testing a Prout (or testing any other boat to obtain a CE mark).



Your Prout would get no CE mark - as it was built before the Directive (?) - and RCD is not a testing procedure. It is a red tape procedure of little value from the seaworthiness point of view.


What you are after are more likely
About - IACS


Before the EU invented its hilllarious RCD, good boats were designed and built to e.g. LLoyds standards. Also today some high quality boats are built to LLoyds (also hulls below 24m).



It is a longer read and well documented over the net. Google if you want to see what Class A is not.



Quote from wiki: "...However, since 18 January 2017, the latest version of the Recreational Craft Directive 2013/53/EU became applicable, changes are as follows: Design categories: the geographical description (ocean, coast,...) has been removed.
Design category A: the term "largely self-sufficient" has been removed. the words: "excluding abnormal conditions, such as storm, violent storm, hurricane, tornado and extreme sea conditions or rogue waves" have been added...."


If a boat meant for open water no limits sailing needs NOT to be built to withstand winds in excess of 40 knots, then the ship called EU, together with its many RCDs is not meant to float about for much longer.


As a yardstick of seaworthiness and built quality, forget Class A designation.


barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 17:29   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Posts: 12,577
Re: Is a FP 36ft cat a blue water or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Quote from wiki: "...However, since 18 January 2017, the latest version of the Recreational Craft Directive 2013/53/EU became applicable, changes are as follows: Design categories: the geographical description (ocean, coast,...) has been removed.
Design category A: the term "largely self-sufficient" has been removed. the words: "excluding abnormal conditions, such as storm, violent storm, hurricane, tornado and extreme sea conditions or rogue waves" have been added...."

If a boat meant for open water no limits sailing needs NOT to be built to withstand winds in excess of 40 knots, then the ship called EU, together with its many RCDs is not meant to float about for much longer.
How does the highlighted addition say that it doesn't have to be built to withstand winds in excess of 40 knots?



The actual wording is:
A recreational craft given design category A is considered to be designed for winds that may exceed wind force 8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave height of 4 m and above but excluding abnormal conditions, such as storm, violent storm, hurricane, tornado and extreme sea conditions or rogue waves.

IWO designed for winds up to and includaing Beaufort Force 9 Strong Gale (i.e. sustained wind speeds of 41-47 knots). Note the "sustained". Given that gusts are generally reckoned to be up to 40% stronger than sustained winds (see for example, the Australian Bureau of Meterorology), that would make it built to withstand gusts to 65 knots.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 18:15   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 20,409
Re: Is a FP 36ft cat a blue water or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
How does the highlighted addition say that it doesn't have to be built to withstand winds in excess of 40 knots?



The actual wording is:


A recreational craft given design category A is considered to be designed for winds that may exceed wind force 8 (Beaufort scale) and significant wave height of 4 m and above but excluding abnormal conditions, such as storm, violent storm, hurricane, tornado and extreme sea conditions or rogue waves.


(...)



I stand corrected.


It is 48 knots.



The highest CE category, meant for open water unlimited voyages, but somehow not necessarily designed to outlast a storm.


RCD is designed to screen mass market boat-builders from lawsuits NOT to give us safe, well designed, well built and seaworthy boats.


If you are in any doubt grab a copy of LLoyds standards and read. Then read RCD. See the differences?


E.g. " ... Each of these classifications requires that a full set of plans be submitted for review and approval, and a surveyor is present during most of the construction process as well as for the sea trials. All material used in the boat is tested and, in the case of aluminum or steel yachts, each plate must have a society approval stamp and each welder must pass rigorous tests. During construction, samples of random welds will be X-rayed and, if a weld does not meet society approval, the plate is removed and a replacement is done correctly. For fiberglass yachts, the surveyor takes careful note of material storage methods, lay-up procedures, curing times, and then performs hardness tests on sample sections.... " etc etc full 400+ plus pages of how to create a seaworthy craft.



If RCD were as good a yardstick as Lloyds, there would be far fewer Class A boats losing their masts, rudders, keels and crews on ocean passages.


barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 18:19   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: New Zealand
Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Posts: 1,808
Re: Is a FP 36ft cat a blue water or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
As a yardstick of seaworthiness and built quality, forget Class A designation.
Absolutely. The only way it's useful is that you really wouldn't want to be out of sight of land in anything that wasn't A, but other than that it's no recommendation
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 19:57   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Posts: 12,577
Re: Is a FP 36ft cat a blue water or not

You could also say:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If RCD were as good a yardstick as Lloyds, there would be far fewer Class A boats losing their masts, rudders, keels and crews on ocean passages.
barnakiel
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 08:02   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Minnesota
Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'
Posts: 967
Re: Is a FP 36ft cat a blue water or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
The FP Mahe is rated CE Category "A".


"Category A – Ocean: covers largely self-sufficient boats designed for extended voyages with winds of over Beaufort Force 8 (over 40 knots), and significant wave heights above 13 feet, but excluding abnormal conditions such as hurricanes."
Rated by whom?
Jdege is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 08:34   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Eastham, MA
Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36
Posts: 1
Re: Is a FP 36ft cat a blue water or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Morton View Post
Hi I’m new to cruise forum, I have sold my Roberts 27 and I am looking at buying a cruising cat and would love a Fountaine Pajot 42, but hard to find one for less than 300K. So considering a smaller boat smaller price, so could a 36 FP be OK in bad weather in blue water? Or would it be too uncomfortable, are the 36 ft ranked for blue water or not really.

Glad anyone’s opinion, especially anyone who has had both, thanks Dan.
Dan--
We've sailed our Mahe 36 for 7 years all coastal including the ICW in both directions. She is capable of handling a lot of weather but we generally limit our cruising to Force 5 / 3 ft seas or less. Once again the boat will handle a lot more than the crew but in coastal areas where the wave period is short she will bounce quite a good deal. No reason not to consider one as I understand the come across to the Caribbean on their own bottoms. Our previous boat was a Seaward 26 and certainly this is much more comfortable in every direction.
Arenaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 08:35   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 20,409
Re: Is a FP 36ft cat a blue water or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
You could also say: If RCD were as good a yardstick as Lloyds, there would be far fewer Class A boats losing their masts, rudders, keels and crews on ocean passages.

Exactly.


You re-worded my concept and now it is much clearer, and much more exact!


Today it is not easy to express any strong idea without offending someone.



Thank you,

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 09:45   #14
Seaman, Delivery skipper
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 28,905
Images: 2
pirate Re: Is a FP 36ft cat a blue water or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
Rated by whom?
The manufacturers..
__________________

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 09:49   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: San Leon, Texas
Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged
Posts: 914
Re: Is a FP 36ft cat a blue water or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Morton View Post
Hi I’m new to cruise forum, I have sold my Roberts 27 and I am looking at buying a cruising cat and would love a Fountaine Pajot 42, but hard to find one for less than 300K. So considering a smaller boat smaller price, so could a 36 FP be OK in bad weather in blue water? Or would it be too uncomfortable, are the 36 ft ranked for blue water or not really.

Glad anyone’s opinion, especially anyone who has had both, thanks Dan.
If you're looking for a blue water cat, less than $300 grand, check this out https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...a-440-3688977/. For blue water capability, this one will kick the snot out of any FP ever made and probably sail rings around most of them. And it's 44' (even better unless you're planning on a marina berth)
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blue water, water

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steel 36ft insulation above the water line Turtle1974 Construction, Maintenance & Refit 3 08-02-2019 22:55
Want To Buy: 30-36ft blue water cruiser (NJ/NYC area) odonnellryan Boats For Sale and Wanted 0 16-07-2018 13:34

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:17.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.