Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2021, 23:42   #1

Boat: Mumby Cybercat 48
Insurance exclusion of Australian ports

Have my new Topsail Renewal Offer, for 2021-22.

Cyclone exclusions are problematic as others have described recently.

Also -

SWING MOORING EXCLUSION
If your boat is moored on a swing mooring or your own anchor and tackle in the waters of Pioneer Bay (QLD), Shute Harbour (QLD), Mangles Bay (WA) or Two Fold Bay (NSW), we will exclude all claims including total loss arising out of stranding, swamping, dragging, beaching or grounding.

Heck, we are in the small island planning a return northwards to the big island.

Lucas (Cruising the NSW Coast) describes Twofold Bay as "all-weather access and protected anchorages" and East Boyd Bay as "good holding".

On questioning Topsail about this EXCLUSION with -

After sailing across Bass Strait from Tasmania to NSW it is advisable to plan to anchor and rest in Twofold Bay, the first port in NSW, due to fatigue and likely to wait for a weather window prior to continuing up the NSW coast. To discourage this is a dangerous recommendation.

Do you mean - SWING MOORING EXCLUSION - “If you boat is permanently moored on a swing mooring or your own anchor and tackle in the waters of …. Twofold Bay (NSW)”?

- we are told "So if for example you were on anchor in Two Fold Bay and you were hit by lightning this would still be covered".

On asking for details behind the EXCLUSION, in the interest of safety - the response -

"unable to provide details of all claims that have occurred in this location in the past due to data protection"

Sadly, a sailboat did end up on the rocks last October -

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...672ea2e95ee872

Have there been other misfortunes?

Have others had this new EXCLUSION (specifically Twofold Bay) appear?

Is Twofold Bay unusually dangerous?

Jeff
Zmtndoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 02:15   #2

Re: Insurance exclusion of Australian ports

I think the exclusions are stupid.Eden is one of the best anchorage in NSW. As to the queensland ones I have anchored my yacht there several times in 30 knot plus conditions and it hadn't moved an inch in afortnight.
Good luck trying to get sence out of your insurance company.
Try the one beginning with "Pant.."
molly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 03:37   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

About Mangles Bay in WA...... every year few boats get adrift, some end up on the beach.
About Eden (Twofold bay), you should be OK when anchoring in the lee of the land.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat on beach1.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	7.0 KB
ID:	242027   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat on beach2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	4.5 KB
ID:	242028  

Old 14-07-2021, 04:23   #4

Boat: currently boatless

Having been with Club marine for quite a few years we moved to Topsail when CM starting to stop coverage for Pioneer Bay and Shute Harbour if you came to greif if anchored or on a swing mooring. Years later Topsai and Pantaneus when the same way. Eden was also on the list. This is not new. In fact some Insuarnce companies are now moving the cyclone safe line further south. This year we contacted Club Marine again regarding anchoring in the Airlie region. I was stunned to be told by the operator that CM considered Whitsunday Coast a dangerous Coastline - WTF and that they would only cover boats that went itno a marina. I dont know where they are getting thier information but its totally different to what I have experienced. (cyclones excluded)

Oz
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 14:35   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The situation with Twofold Bay is probably because one has to do the Twofold Bay Shuffle. The north side is unsafe in strong southerly winds; the south side is unsafe in strong northerly winds. So if you're wanting to go ashore, you need to pay attention to the weather, and go where the boat will be safe when left alone... It's a super anchorage, easy to enter, but needs to be used with awareness and intelligence. Do not leave the boat on the wharf if strong S'ly winds are expected...unless you can kedge it off adequately. Also, if the Navy is going to be using its loading wharf, that can affect your stay on the south side, but you can leave, and still stay on the South side, just move over to the inlet by the old whaling station or further, over by the Boydtown hotel. Plenty of area there with S'ly protection, whereas, in the north, it is more crowded.

Ann
Old 14-07-2021, 15:28   #6

The sad fact about all insurers is that they'll only cover you for the most UNLIKELY mishaps.
If they've had a claim or two at a particular anchorage they'll write it out.
Most of the insurance companies are agents - gty your policy direct from underwriters at Lloyds, you'll get better cover and lower premiums.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 15:34   #7

Boat: SS34

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly1 View Post
I think the exclusions are stupid.Eden is one of the best anchorage in NSW. As to the queensland ones I have anchored my yacht there several times in 30 knot plus conditions and it hadn't moved an inch in afortnight.
Good luck trying to get sence out of your insurance company.
Try the one beginning with "Pant.."

I would not trust any of them.

https://cyca.com.au/yacht-insurance-...abreeze.com.au
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 16:18   #8

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona View Post
Interesting to know that they've now changed their PDS and will let the policyholders know about it.

Well, 10 days later and I still didn't get any update or even a notification about a pending update.

They're pretty swift when it comes to prodding their clients for updated certificates (rig check, mooring tackle etc) but when the onus is on their side...?

I compared their PDS with Topsail's last year and they were very similar. For what we pay every year it makes sense to shop around and take the time to read the fine prints.

The number of exclusions certainly went up last year, at least for me.

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 22:37   #9

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfgr View Post
Most of the insurance companies are agents - gty your policy direct from underwriters at Lloyds, you'll get better cover and lower premiums.
Interesting. How does one go about that please?
Old 14-07-2021, 22:54   #10

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
The situation with Twofold Bay is probably because one has to do the Twofold Bay Shuffle. The north side is unsafe in strong southerly winds; the south side is unsafe in strong northerly winds. So if you're wanting to go ashore, you need to pay attention to the weather, and go where the boat will be safe when left alone... It's a super anchorage, easy to enter, but needs to be used with awareness and intelligence. Do not leave the boat on the wharf if strong S'ly winds are expected...unless you can kedge it off adequately. Also, if the Navy is going to be using its loading wharf, that can affect your stay on the south side, but you can leave, and still stay on the South side, just move over to the inlet by the old whaling station or further, over by the Boydtown hotel. Plenty of area there with S'ly protection, whereas, in the north, it is more crowded.

Ann
Towamba river at Khia inlet is fantastic for mooring, If your in a Multihull,

7 feet at high tide would be maximum for a yacht getting in there,
Once your in, its 10 feet deep just after entering the river,
About 100 metres from the whaling station, On anchor,
Stay close to the sand bar next to Twofold bay side,

I spent a month in there coming and going quite frequently,
I had no wind or waves in there, Basically a Mill pond,

The entrance is four feet deep at low tide, Max, And the bottom moves,

The rocky shoals come out quite a bit from the vertical hill at the entrance,
The chip mill side,
The sand bar on the right side going in moves a lot, Especially after rains,
Waves coming from the east can be very tall and they do continue ll the way to NZ,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 23:13   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasfgr View Post
The sad fact about all insurers is that they'll only cover you for the most UNLIKELY mishaps.
If they've had a claim or two at a particular anchorage they'll write it out.
This. I’ve found that once you get through all the exclusions, most hull protection isn’t worth the paper it’s printed on. They’ll find a way to avoid paying out—been there, done that.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2021, 23:28   #12

My daughter was for a while an independent claims adjuster, and she explained to me that the job of the insurance company is to make money for the stockholders, period. People get hooked in to the idea that they are here to help us by sales people, but like so much in the world, this is a buyer beware situation. Some companies are more user friendly than others.

Ann
Old 15-07-2021, 02:03   #13

Boat: Swarbrick S-80
Insurance exclusion of Australian ports

What about the “generalist” insurance companies that also do house, car, etc insurance?

They all seem to offer boat insurance but seem to be geared more towards the small fishing boat market.

One I looked at, for example, had no cyclone exclusions, but that may be because I’m in Vic (they are a national insurer).
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2021, 16:54   #14

If it were a generalist insurance company, they have more premiums coming in from the wider base. I guess I'd want to be sure they understood what kind of a boat they were insuring.

At one time, we had insurance with a generalist company in the US. The insurance was good for only 200 miles offshore. If there is that kind of exclusion, forget going to New Caledonia or NZ from Oz, when open, of course.

Ann
Old 15-07-2021, 18:16   #15

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Hmm, sounds like they’re a good fit for my plan of first doing a circumnavigation of Aus before launching.

Can reconsider when we’re looking to head further out.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, insurance, ports