Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2022, 23:02   #1

Indonesian cruising permit or not?

I am in Langkawi and am thinking of taking my boat to Australia. Getting an Indonesian permit seems to be a PIA. So my question is can I just sail through Indonesia maybe stopping for food and fuel now and then. I met someone in the marina a while back who said he would do that due to law around international waters etc....
swanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 23:06   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: Indonesian cruising permit or not?

Not the best idea

https://gcaptain.com/indonesia-jails...gal-anchoring/
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 23:24   #3

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanman View Post
I am in Langkawi and am thinking of taking my boat to Australia. Getting an Indonesian permit seems to be a PIA. So my question is can I just sail through Indonesia maybe stopping for food and fuel now and then. I met someone in the marina a while back who said he would do that due to law around international waters etc....
Suggest you research just how ferral the NZ authorities get when someone decides not to complete the entry formalities, then understand that not every country will display the same tolerance.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 23:49   #4

Boat: currently boatless

Quote:
Seriously lad, with an attitude like that you just should not be cruising in international waters. You are a visitor and should respect the countries laws and requirements. If you don't want to forfill the requirements I would expect at some time for your boat to be boarded, you will be arrested and you will likely be entered into custody. If that's your attitude don't go asking your government for assistance when this occurs. I also suspect that more than likely your boat forfeited. If that occurs you will get exactly what you deserve.

Ozsailer
ozsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 06:37   #5

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
I met someone in the marina a while back who said he would do that due to law around international waters etc....
You can certainly sail through the Indonesian archipelago without entering Indonesia, including without formalities and without gaining an Indonesian visa.

To do that, you have to sail non-stop and stay within defined shipping lanes. In general, that means you cannot sail within 12 nautical miles of land (with the exception of passing through straits recognised for international shipping transit). You cannot anchor, you cannot go ashore.

The main exception to entry formalities is if the master of a vessel declares MAYDAY - which generally means you have to be prepared to abandon your vessel or you have crew who genuinely needs urgent medical attention that you cannot supply on board (and that crew is prepared to be taken off your vessel, be treated in Indonesia, and arrange some other exit from Indonesia).

One cruiser did report another exception, but it is an exception for which you seem not to be eligible because you intend to make an international voyage. The cruiser reported being on a non-stop domestic voyage from one port in East Malaysia (Kuching in Sarawak, Malaysia) to a port in West Malaysia. From memory, the cruiser concerned was sailing direct from Kuching to Kuah on Pulau Langkawi, Kedah state, Malaysia. When passing through the Singapore Strait, the cruiser negotiated with Indonesia customs and immigration for a stop at Nongsa Point Marina (on Batam, Indonesia, in the Singapore Strait) for repairs and to purchase fuel and/or engine oil). As far as I remember, that exception for entry to Nongsa Point Marina without visa and other entry formalities was unique and not likely to be repeated. The key points are that Malaysia is a neighbour of Indonesia, the cruiser was making a domestic voyage from one Malaysian port to another, and that voyage had to pass through the Singapore Strait, a strait recognised under UNCLOS etc for international passage, had engine problems (and could not sail because of doldrumic conditions), and negotiated by radio with Indonesian authorities (with the help of the staff at Nongsa Point Marina). *The cruiser carried a port clearance, from Jabatan Laut in Kuching, of his intended voyage.*

Another cruiser had earlier reported being able to negotiate purchase of fuel from one of the marinas on Bali, even though that cruiser also did not hold a visa for Indonesia and did not have the permit then required for entry to Indonesian waters (meaning this incident was exactly 20 years ago when Indonesia formalities included the CAIT, an approval for cruisers no longer in use). Exactly 20 years ago means that the cruiser (a single-hander) arrived off Bali on the day after the Bali bombing. From memory, an Indonesian craft ferried some diesel fuel to that cruiser (in return for US$ cash, I think) and the cruiser then continued on his way to Singapore without anchoring, entering port, or setting foot on Indonesian soil. Again, special circumstances and negotiation.
Old 12-10-2022, 09:59   #6

Quote:
I am in Langkawi and am thinking of taking my boat to Australia. Getting an Indonesian permit seems to be a PIA. So my question is can I just sail through Indonesia maybe stopping for food and fuel now and then.
My wise-ass answer is of course you CAN do it, right until they arrest you and throw you in an Indonesian jail.

Quote:
I met someone in the marina a while back who said he would do that due to law around international waters etc....
This "someone" is an idiot or someone who hates you.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 11:11   #7

Boat: CS27, C&C25 half a lifetime ago

My last interaction with Indonesian bureaucracy was in the eighties, however, assuming not much has changed, are you bribing the right people?
5BTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2022, 15:51   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

It's a couple of decades ago now but I once met a Canadian cruiser in Western Australia who had cruised through Indonesia without any permits.

He claimed that he had done so but had only entered major ports for fuel and supplies and had immediately visited with the harbour master in each port for permission, which was never refused.

One of them had told him he could go into the town for a meal as long as he walked around the back of the gate house. Apparently the local protocol was that you did not officially enter of leave the port area if you did not go through the gate.

If I was you I'd go to an Indonesian consulate and ask them being specific that you would only be stopping for fuel and supplies or in an emergency if that is your intent. Indonesia is a nation of islands and butts up against a number of other nations so casual visits by other country small vessels are probably fairly common and it might be a matter they are fairly casual about.
Old 12-10-2022, 16:54   #9

Boat: Morgan 382

I cruised through Indonesia in 2019. It wasn't a big deal, although I had been warned and was prepared for a bureaucracy. Honestly, I think it used to be difficult, and a few agents and rallies spread the word it's still difficult, but it was quite easy.

I went to the Indonesian embassy in PNG. I filled out some forms online (somewhat difficult as the page is poorly formatted and won't work on an ipad) which were essentially temporary importation paperwork for the vessel. Then I filled out hard copies of a visa application. I asked if I needed a sponsor and was told with the online form filled out no. The sponsor is only needed for tourists not on a boat. I left them my passport and it was returned the next day with the visa.

About half a dozen other boats did the exact same thing while I was in Port Moresby.

Checking into Indonesia in Saumlaki was hassle free. No one spoke any English, so I just gave them the paperwork I expected they would need(the same paperwork every port needs), and after them typing away they printed some forms and pointed where I needed to sign and stamp.

When I got to Bali I had crew departing and I went to Immigration to do the paperwork to remove them from my crew list, and they were confused why I was there. They told me to I didn't have to do anything, just give the officers a different crew list when I check out.

It was all super easy, not only for me, but a dozen other cruisers I met. I discussed it because I was so surprised about it. So back to the original post, what is the PIA that you describe? If you can't deal with how easy Indonesia is, you shouldn't be considering cruising to other places.
Old 12-10-2022, 17:02   #10

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I am unfamiliar with the Indon cruising permit system but I would have thought that a single stop for bunkers at somewhere like Merak would have been allowed on a simple in/out basis.

That said it should be possible to store ship, bunker, and do a direct run from Langkawi to WA although I would be inclined to store ship in Singapore.

And also commercial through traffic is restricted re what straits are allowed so maybe Banka is off the list. The other option is northabout around the top of Sumatra but do not - I repeat - do not - think of stopping up there.
Thats the only bit of the Dutch East Indies that the dutch showed no interest in reclaiming after WW2 - for a reason.
Old 13-10-2022, 04:13   #11
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I am unfamiliar with the Indon cruising permit system but I would have thought that a single stop for bunkers at somewhere like Merak would have been allowed on a simple in/out basis.

That said it should be possible to store ship, bunker, and do a direct run from Langkawi to WA although I would be inclined to store ship in Singapore.

And also commercial through traffic is restricted re what straits are allowed so maybe Banka is off the list. The other option is northabout around the top of Sumatra but do not - I repeat - do not - think of stopping up there.
Thats the only bit of the Dutch East Indies that the dutch showed no interest in reclaiming after WW2 - for a reason.

In a normal situation. You abide by the entry requirements to refuel and restock , not withstanding that some ports might be more accommodating. You takes your chances.
Old 13-10-2022, 06:48   #12

Location: Boat in Preveza Greece, awaiting our next trip, we are based Sunshine Coast Australia
Boat: Jeanneau SunFast 43
Send a message via Skype™ to OzDean

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I cruised through Indonesia in 2019. It wasn't a big deal, although I had been warned and was prepared for a bureaucracy. Honestly, I think it used to be difficult, and a few agents and rallies spread the word it's still difficult, but it was quite easy.

I went to the Indonesian embassy in PNG. I filled out some forms online (somewhat difficult as the page is poorly formatted and won't work on an ipad) which were essentially temporary importation paperwork for the vessel. Then I filled out hard copies of a visa application. I asked if I needed a sponsor and was told with the online form filled out no. The sponsor is only needed for tourists not on a boat. I left them my passport and it was returned the next day with the visa.

About half a dozen other boats did the exact same thing while I was in Port Moresby.

Checking into Indonesia in Saumlaki was hassle free. No one spoke any English, so I just gave them the paperwork I expected they would need(the same paperwork every port needs), and after them typing away they printed some forms and pointed where I needed to sign and stamp.

When I got to Bali I had crew departing and I went to Immigration to do the paperwork to remove them from my crew list, and they were confused why I was there. They told me to I didn't have to do anything, just give the officers a different crew list when I check out.

It was all super easy, not only for me, but a dozen other cruisers I met. I discussed it because I was so surprised about it. So back to the original post, what is the PIA that you describe? If you can't deal with how easy Indonesia is, you shouldn't be considering cruising to other places.
Thanks Warren, I plan to get the necessary paperwork for I am intending to sail from Singapore to Darwin mid December to mid January with Xmas in Bali and a possible visit to Komodo National Park. The only complication is that I will not have the owner of the boat on Board until Bali so I assume I need an authorisation letter. The boat is in Singapore so I would enter Indonesia in Batam. Any comments from anyone about entering Indonesia without the owner on board, or thoughts of where to stop between Singapore and Bali or Komodo or the route from Komodo down to Darwin? Cheers, Dean
OzDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2022, 16:10   #13

Boat: Herreshoff 36

Make sure you fill out the vessel declaration form online before you leave for Indo. Have a letter from the owner, multiple hard copies of every possible paperwork you can imagine, down to proof of MMSI number, list of medical supply with doctor's letter, crew list etc. A boat stamp still lubricates the process. You have to choose between VOA or B2.. something visa before you leave. Entry procedure is not impossible, but not straightforward either. You can do it without an agent, but many ppl choose to pay up for convenience.

There are cruising guides available, soggy paws compendium etc, lots of info on FB. Charts are very inaccurate, Google Earth aerial photos are good to find breaks in reefs for anchoring.

Labuan Bajo is a good civilized stop at Komodo. Anchoring is prohibited in many places now. The monsoon would have changed by December so expect rain, lighting westerly winds etc.

We are sailing to Kupang on the south of Flores route then Darwin. So far didn't have problems with lack of wind, but might have to motor a bit more from here. Solar is the government subsidized Diesel, low quality, cheap, Dex is the next one up currently Au$1.70/L.
Old 13-10-2022, 16:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDean View Post
Thanks Warren, I plan to get the necessary paperwork for I am intending to sail from Singapore to Darwin mid December to mid January with Xmas in Bali and a possible visit to Komodo National Park.
Last I heard the Govt of Indonesia was doing everything they could to dissuade touristas from visiting Komodo National Park.

Deal being that Indonesia finds resolving the contradiction between making money from tourists and the damage the tourists cause to the conservation values of Komodo National Park quite difficult.

The money from rich gawkers is of course welcome - economic inequality is still v high in Indonesia, with around 30% of kiddies stunted by inadequate protein nutrition (current push to encourage parents to feed each kiddie a hen's egg each day). The environmental damage is less welcome. One of the few big benefits from the mishandled Covid-19 pandemic is that govts and people in SE Asia have seen environmental damage diminish massively and even reverse with fewer tourists.

The immediate measure is to impose a cost on each individual tourist to Komodo National Park of Rupiah 3.75 million (a few hundred US dollars, depending on the exchange rate). *The tourist charge for Komodo NP starts on 1 January 2023, probably.

Pulau Rinca might be doable, should you have a pressing need to pay reverence to your lizard deity. Perhaps you could just spend some time listening to Jim Morrison fronting The Doors instead?
Old 13-10-2022, 16:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Pulau Rinca might be doable, should you have a pressing need to pay reverence to your lizard deity. Perhaps you could just spend some time listening to Jim Morrison fronting The Doors instead?
Here're recent news stories from Antara:

https://en.antaranews.com/news/24329...january-1-2023

https://en.antaranews.com/news/24202...-komodo-island

Tags
cruising, Indonesia, permit