Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Oceania - Australiana
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2018, 09:02   #1

Boat: Mumby 48
Can a foreigner own an Australian flagged vessel, in Austrlia

I'm an American looking at buying an Australian flagged boat. Does anyone know if I can maintain the Australian registration, and under what conditions. (I'm guessing I probably need an address there.) If I buy a boat in Australia and then want to sell it there later I'm thinking that if I register it in the US and then sell it to an Australian they'll have to pay duty and GST again, Or am I mistaken. I'd appreciate any knowledgeable information. Thanks.
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 15:10   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Can a foreigner own an Australian flagged vessel, in Austrlia

Hello, Epicure,

Jim's and I are American citizens. Our boat was an Australian registered ship when we bought her. One does have to be an Australian citizen to own an Australian registered ship; the previous owner had to pay ~ $50 AU to de-register her. We had to register her in the US, but elected State registration, rather than documentation.

In the case of this boat, as she was built here in Oz, there was no duty owing on her.

Ann
Old 03-06-2018, 15:21   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

If it's under 12 metres, you can register it in Australia if you are an "Australian Resident", (basically either Australian citizen or living in Australia on some form of long term visa). 12 metres or more and you must be an "Australian National" i.e. citizen or registered company.

If neither of the above fits your situation, the current owners will have to have it removed from the Australian Register when they sell it.

Registration is irrelevant to duty and GST. If it's paid once, that's it unless the vessel leaves Australia has major work done on it and then returns - in which case duty/GST will be assessed on the value of improvements.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 15:29   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epicurean View Post
I'm an American looking at buying an Australian flagged boat. Does anyone know if I can maintain the Australian registration, and under what conditions. (I'm guessing I probably need an address there.) If I buy a boat in Australia and then want to sell it there later I'm thinking that if I register it in the US and then sell it to an Australian they'll have to pay duty and GST again, Or am I mistaken. I'd appreciate any knowledgeable information. Thanks.
It depends on whether the boat is registered as an Aussie ship (equivalent to USCG documentation) or if it is state registered. If "ship registered" it can not be owned by a non-citizen and will have to be de-registered. It state registered, a non-citizen can own it and maintain the rego... but you can not clear out of the country to sail to a foreign land.

There should be no issue with it returning to Australia re taxes or duty.

The boat that we now own was built in Oz and ship registered. The PO had to deregister her before we could assume ownership. It also had NSW state rego, and we maintained that until our US state rego was accomplished, and then we just let the NSW rego lapse. BEcause the boat was Aussie built we don't need a cruising permitand she can stay as long as desired and come and go at our pleasure.

Jim
Old 03-06-2018, 15:31   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Hello, Epicure,

Jim's and I are American citizens. Our boat was an Australian registered ship when we bought her. One does have to be an Australian citizen to own an Australian registered ship; the previous owner had to pay somewhere between $1200 and $1500AUD to de-register her.

Something is very wrong there. There is no fee to de-register and the process is very simple:

https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-oper...istration#6300

If you want a de-registration certificate (required by many other countries for registration) the total cost is AUD111.00

( I went through this process in 2014. I think it cost me abut AUD80 at the time for the certificate and it cost the previous owner nothing - I did the de-registration on their behalf. All i needed from them was a signed statement that they had sold it to me and the Registration Certificate)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 15:37   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Stu, You're right, and I was mistaken about the cost of de-registering the boat. However, the PO did pay to do it. And I really don't know the ins and outs of that. I have corrected my post, because it was wrong.

Ann
Old 04-06-2018, 14:28   #7

Boat: Mumby 48

Thanks everyone. Great information. It's a big help. I'll document it in the US. I couldn't get any insurance quotes until I told them what country.

And does anyone know if, once the boat changes to a foreign documentation, if stuff can be sent in duty and GST free for a "Yacht in Transit"?
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 20:28   #8

Okay, so as a foreigner, you have purchased an Ozzie built boat, deregistered it and re-registered in your home country.
Now, what I want to know is how much time you have to cruise in Australia assuming that you want to maximise your time spent cruising there.
As much as your tourist visa allows?
Or is it longer?
And since you can clear out, do you simply sail to the nearest foreign country for a while and return to Australia to continue your cruise.
How do you do it Anne, Jim, Stu?
Many thanks in advance.
mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 20:37   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
Okay, so as a foreigner, you have purchased an Ozzie built boat, deregistered it and re-registered in your home country.
Now, what I want to know is how much time you have to cruise in Australia assuming that you want to maximise your time spent cruising there.
As much as your tourist visa allows?
Or is it longer?
And since you can clear out, do you simply sail to the nearest foreign country for a while and return to Australia to continue your cruise.
How do you do it Anne, Jim, Stu?
Many thanks in advance.
In this case, your boat can stay as long as desired as far as customs is concerned. It is, after all, an Aussie boat.

Your person can stay as long as whatever visa you possess allows. Renewing or replacing your visa will need sorting out with the immigration folks on an individual basis... we can not advise on that subject, and the rules seem to change now and then.

Jim
Old 04-06-2018, 20:44   #10

Cheers Jim.
I did read that as a cruiser, you get to spend longer (12 months? ) in Australia.
mullet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia