Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2019, 13:04   #16

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Which route to Panama for Hurricane Season?

[QUOTE=Ecos;2911458]
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Re 6' draft.
If necessary you can get careened over the bar by the local fishing boats. I know of boats up to 8' draft who've done this. Once inside the bar there is plenty of depth with only a few exceptions.

This year a boat with an 8'2" draft came in. They use 2 fishing boats, one to tow and one to tip it over. I think they had to get to about 45deg.
Yeah, you dont want to be running to the Rio from a hurricane with deep draft!

There is even a small cruise ship that has come up the Rio in the past, apparently quite shoal draft relative to their size as careening was not really an option for them.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 13:56   #17

Boat: Groupe Finot 42 (Steel)

I love the fountain of knowledge. You guys are water gods. The current and wind on the Windward Passage is what I'll also need to look into for a backup route for I got a lot of suggestions for that route. I love the 2nd motorboat healing the vessel! Cheers guys.
Old 19-06-2019, 00:22   #18

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Took a look at the currents today. Wow, the Gulf Loop is extended way far NW (Ive run into it 160nm S of Mobile, AL before!) and there is an unusually strong eddie E of the Yucatan Current. There is usually a weak eddie, but its really spun up now.

The same basic routing strategey would work, but you could shift a bit E after rounding W Cuba to catch the favorable side of the eddie (S setting current at over 1 knot).

I would stage from KW or the Dry Tortugas (great place, highly recommend if you havent visited) and make the jump from there. An example weather routing attached. You could make it as single run and be in Rio Dulce in about 4-5 days depending on average speed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190618-174302_Windy.jpeg
Views:	99
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	194235Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190618-190708.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	194236
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hurricane, Panama, route