Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2020, 12:36   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Where to stop on US East coast

Since I bought my lastest boat 10 years ago I've had to deal with three hurricanes in Green Cove Springs which is just south of Jacksonville on the St Johns River and Sandy in New England. So as noted, nowhere on the US east coast it 100% safe. However if you're living on the boat you almost always have enough warning to move elsewhere or haul the boat or otherwise prep for the storm.

Statistically the GA coast I think has had fewer direct hits over the years due to the shape of the SE coast as it is quite concave.

If you're looking for a one year location the northeast gets pretty cold in the winter and would not be my choice for a live aboard location. Even NC and VA can get quite cold.

Location also depends on what kind of job you're looking for. Obviously higher demand and higher pay for some skills in some locations. Since you can live on the boat your cost of living would be similar so I would go for the highest pay. Unless your area is specialized and geographically limited the NE is going to pay the most. For winter either button up or move south.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 12:38   #17

The problem with Florida is if you are there longer than a certain time (90 day?), you have to register your boat in Florida. The Chesapeake Bay is pretty safe from hurricanes, and there are not any restrictions on anchoring. Lots of places to get work.
rfinklegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 12:50   #18

OP's profile says he has a Morgan 382. The last one made was in 1982. Thus if it has its original engine it should qualify for antique status for registration discount. Which would be a few tens of dollars. And if he owned it for longer then 6 months I believe the sales tax would not apply. Not sure about the annual use/excise taxes but would like to hear about those from FL based owners.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 13:13   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfinklegal View Post
The problem with Florida is if you are there longer than a certain time (90 day?), you have to register your boat in Florida. The Chesapeake Bay is pretty safe from hurricanes, and there are not any restrictions on anchoring. Lots of places to get work.
The registration issue applies in most states so not really a strike against FL. Also the cost is minimal. Depending on the size and age of the boat it might be as low as $40-$50. Max I think might be $200.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 13:25   #20

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

My 2 cents - Tampa area or Jacksonville.

Problem is that Tampa doesn't have much for anchoring. There is some south near Bradenton.
GreenWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 13:42   #21

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

There is an Anchorage in the Alafai river, which is on the east side of Tampa Bay, where you can anchor and stay and nobody will bother you. It is on the Alafai, just before the railroad bridge of route 41. Just on the outskirts of Tampa. It is very well protected. I've spent time there. Reasonable public transportation.

If you have the time, though, the Chesapeake Bay would be another area. That's my home region, and can provide great detail, should you wish.

Also, your occupation or desired type of work would also be helpful.

Ben
Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 14:33   #22

Boat: Morgan 382

The Chesapeake seems to be a likely spot from what I see here and elsewhere. I assume public transit is decent enough in Baltimore/ Annapolis that I would not need a car? And no problem living aboard on the hook?

My career and experience is as a broadcast engineer, with 2 decades experience in mostly the top 5 Nielsen markets. I could do basically any job in TV or radio except sales or on-air talent.

I could and have also done IT/system management/etc, and could also work in marine services etc.

Im pretty flexible.
wholybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 14:54   #23

Boat: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbdtack View Post
Hurricanes and Cyclones are always something to consider carefully. However, the assertion that they are increasing in severity and frequency is erroneous.
Well....you have to ignore a lot of historical data to find anything that resembles a decline in frequency/intensity of hurricanes. Since the poster provides zero citation (I was unable to find a "UN Climate Panel"), I have to assume s/he's referring to data shown in the bottom of the NOAA URL showing trends since 1880. Note, you have to scroll through a dozen positive trends before you get to a slightly negative trend, and even then, it's unadjusted data. Sort of feels like cherry-picked data to support an agenda, but who knows.

Regardless, the OP is looking for something in the next 12-months - will be very little change plus or minus (which will vary widely based on annual dynamics).

https://www.gfdl.noaa.gov/historical...storm-records/
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 16:27   #24

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I was unable to find a "UN Climate Panel
Just taking a wild guess, but he probably was referencing the IPCC - the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 16:31   #25

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
The Chesapeake seems to be a likely spot from what I see here and elsewhere. I assume public transit is decent enough in Baltimore/ Annapolis that I would not need a car? And no problem living aboard on the hook?
Lovely area. I don't know how it's fairing this winter, but in the recent past the Chesapeake has been frozen over in Annapolis and further north.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2020, 17:54   #26

Boat: Outremer 50S

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbdtack View Post
Hurricanes and Cyclones are always something to consider carefully. However, the assertion that they are increasing in severity and frequency is erroneous.

The UN Climate Panel found in its latest report that hurricanes (aka tropical cyclones) haven’t increased: “Current datasets indicate no significant observed trends in global tropical cyclone frequency over the past century.” For the United States, the trend of all land-falling hurricanes has been falling since 1900, as has that of major hurricanes. In the 51 years from 1915, Florida and the Atlantic coast were hit by 19 major hurricanes. In the 51 years to 2016, just seven. In the last 11 years, only two hurricanes greater than category 3 hit the continental USA — a record low since 1900. From 1915 to 1926, 12 hit.
This quote comes from IPCC, 2013: Climate Change 2013: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (Chapter 2, Section 2.6.3, page 216)

The very next sentence says:

Quote:
Regional trends in tropical cyclone frequency and the frequency of very intense tropical cyclones have been identified in the North Atlantic and these appear robust since the 1970s (Kossin et al.2007) (very high confidence)
Since the OP is asking about places along the US East Coast it might actually be a scientifically defensible statement to say that hurricane frequency and intensity have been increasing in the area that is the subject of this thread. Of course there are caveats to that, and the next clause in the statement I quoted begins with "however." Really easy to put your spin on things when you take quotes out of context.

The concluding paragraph for that section says:

Quote:
More recent assessments indicate that it is unlikely that annual numbers of tropical storms, hurricanes and major hurricanes counts have increased over the past 100 years in the North Atlantic basin. Evidence, however, is for a virtually certain increase in the frequency and intensity of the strongest tropical cyclones since the 1970s in that region.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 06:21   #27

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post

My career and experience is as a broadcast engineer, with 2 decades experience in mostly the top 5 Nielsen markets. I could do basically any job in TV or radio except sales or on-air talent.

I could and have also done IT/system management/etc, and could also work in marine services etc.

Im pretty flexible.
for obvious reasons, Baltimore would give you the best access to public transportation. The problem is, that there is only one very small Anchorage in the inner harbor and it's almost impossible to use. The police are very aware of all the boats that come in and come out. There are other anchorage's off the patapsco River, specifically the middle branch of the patapsco River through the bridge. You would have dinghy access the Baltimore,, but not super pretty, though.

Annapolis, on the Severn River is beautiful and gives you access to a reasonable town. There are numerous Cubs on the Severn River that you could drop the hook and have access, easily, to Annapolis. If a really good bus system and therefore you could probably get around very easily. Obviously, there is a massive concentration of boats and marinas in Annapolis. I'm sure any one of them could use your services. There's also the naval academy and there might even be opportunities for civilians at the naval academy.

On the Eastern shore, I would recommend Rock Hall, Maryland. very large concentration of boats and marinas. In fact, Haven harbor Marina owns almost all of them and gratitude Marina is the other big Marina in that town. The nice thing about Rock Hall is that it is a year-round town as a grocery store, West Marine oh, a few restaurants and you could anchor in swan Creek and no one will bother you. Swan Creek is also very well protected from weather.

I imagine if you worked for one of the marinas, you could probably get a slip during the winter with a bubbler to prevent the water from freezing around the boat, and electricity for nothing. pricing wise, in water storage over the winter is about 500 to 700 bucks for those of us that have to pay it.

I would be concerned that any farther north than Maryland on the east coast, and you will have to deal with winterizing related issues during the winter months.

That said, there is an Anchorage not far from the statue of liberty on the Hudson River. you have access to both Jersey City and Manhattan at that point. Similarly, you could grab a marina slip and during the winter for cheap just for heat and electricity right there. Also, mystic Connecticut and that region would also be fantastic in terms of living on the hook and having full access to train and public transportation.

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2020, 02:08   #28

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy Rasmus 35

The Fells Point/Canton anchorage in Baltimore is far from "unusable" as it is always populated by other cruisers when we visit for a few days or weeks twice a year as we migrate through the Chesapeake each season going north or south. I hear similar things said here on CF and other so-called "cruiser" forums but I guess nobody officially informed those of us who actually use it that it is "unusable."
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast