Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2019, 12:44   #1

Washington to Hawaii

Happy new year to all!
I'm helping to plan and, well, man a cruise from far north Washington to the state of Hawaii - very likely early summer. I'd like to establish a dialog with any folks on the forum who would be willing to allow me to "pick their brain. I'm an old time racer from years back - King Harbor in CA. However, been landlocked in the Rocky Mountains for a good number of years, and feeling a bit out of touch with the world of cruising. The skipper - from HI - has more recent and valid experience. It's also his Cat 38 that'll be the vessel.

My interests are -
  1. route setting (rock hop to CA and then turn right - or just run straight out after Neahy? Granted the Pac High is a big variable here).
  2. Solar or other renewable energy systems - what is good (solar, wind, water), what's bad, and maybe even what is ugly.
  3. Biggest challenges - white knuckle blows or boredom? Equipment failures? Floating plastic garbage?
  4. Nuggets of wisdom - there are many on these forums!

I don't want to be a pain in the arse, but if you've experience to share and a willingness to do so, please let me know - and thanks!
kylecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 17:55   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Washington to Hawaii

You cannot head direct to the islands from the NW unless you have plenty of fuel. The Pacific high is a no wind area that is about level with SF in the summertime. Head SSW till your below the latitude of SF, 38 degree latitude then rhumbline to paradise. The high wanders around so if wind begins to fail head south till it picks up again.

Be aware of hurricanes generated in the Gulf of Panama. They often head west especially early in the summer. They mostly stay south of 20 degrees latitude and are easy to avoid if you are patient enough to hang out north of their path till they pass.

The trip back can be more exciting but is actually a shorter sail for you Salish Sea denizens than those heading further south.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 18:34   #3

The Royal Van and Lahaina yachtclubs apparently disagree.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 21:08   #4

Boat: 1969 30 Mariner Sedan Cruiser

See if you can contact some of the Victoria to Maui racers, they'll have a trunk full of information:
https://www.vicmaui.org/
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 17:03   #5

Boat: 55' Romsdal

1. Head south along the 100 fathom line.
2. Avoid the "mounts" off the WA and OR coats. They look like there is plenty of water over them, but in a bit of a blow they are very treacherous.
3. Stop where you like along the way, but start heading SW off Eureka.
4. Keep heading SW until the wind settles in from the NE, then take the rhumb line to Hilo.
Old 03-01-2019, 17:28   #6

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
You cannot head direct to the islands from the NW unless you have plenty of fuel. The Pacific high is a no wind area that is about level with SF in the summertime. Head SSW till your below the latitude of SF, 38 degree latitude then rhumbline to paradise. The high wanders around so if wind begins to fail head south till it picks up again.
Hmmm, the competitors in the Vic-Maui race would disagree: https://www.vicmaui.org/tracker
Old 03-01-2019, 17:29   #7

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
The Royal Van and Lahaina yachtclubs apparently disagree.
Oops... missed that
Old 03-01-2019, 18:54   #8

Thanks, Peter! Hoping for no thrills like those hurricanes of which you speak. But we'll ready for them anyway and give them a wide berth should they roam northward. Studying now about weather prediction, along with myriad other details. Best!
Kyle Callahan
Old 03-01-2019, 19:01   #9

Thanks much Delfin! Will use your advice on our sailplan - especially like the idea of heading off to the right as early as possible. BTW - the quote on your post - I'm rolling - love it!

Tags
hawaii, washing, Washington