Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Regional Forums and Groups > Americas
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2019, 08:16   #1

Boat: 82' Catalina 30 Mark 1
Vessel Transport-Lapaz to Victoria

Hi all. I'm looking to either sale my 1989 34' Pacific Seacraft or have it shipped to Victoria BC from Lapaz, Mx.

Has anyone done this using Raven Marine? Also, if you have, what should l look out for? The contract is 17 pages of legal stuff, so l will also talk to my title company l use in Seattle.

Thank you,
Darrel
darrelweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 08:21   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
Re: Vessel Transport-Lapaz to Victoria

Sorry that this is a near miss response. We were in San Jose del Cabo near La Paz next to a great couple on a 34' Pacific Seacraft that was sailing to Victoria. Two days after leaving they returned and said "to hell with it" and arranged for the boat to be shipped from La Paz. I don't know the name of the firm they used or how the actual trip for them went but they were very pleased with the process and the price seemed reasonable to them. It is quite common trip so hope you get a more complete response. Just thought it interesting both of you had the same boat and were going the same place.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 08:23   #3
rbk

Boat: T37

Consider making it back stateside and having it shipped to Washington area. Shipping within the states is affordable; Across two international borders not as much.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 08:40   #4

rbk - this is probably true if you ship by truck. Definitely worth checking. The hardest part of the sail, however is from La Paz to San Diego, but it is still a long way from San Diego to Canada. The Jones Act would prohibit this in most cases by sea. Almost no ocean shipping company I am aware does yacht transport anywhere on the West Coast of the US. If coming from the East Coast or Costa Rico your choices are Ensenada or Vancouver.
Old 26-09-2019, 09:16   #5
rbk

Yes I assumed it would be by truck. Do the bash for the first third then truck the remaining 2/3. Either way I'd avoid crossing into BC as they'll probably try and tax you again on your boat, the contents and the diesel in the tank along with the clothes your wearing.
Old 26-09-2019, 09:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelweb View Post
Hi all. I'm looking to either sale my 1989 34' Pacific Seacraft or have it shipped to Victoria BC from Lapaz, Mx.

Has anyone done this using Raven Marine? Also, if you have, what should l look out for? The contract is 17 pages of legal stuff, so l will also talk to my title company l use in Seattle.

Thank you,
Darrel
I have shipped a couple times many years ago, once from San Diego to Seattle. Minor damage occurred both times. Once, the mast on a rack alongside the boat, rubbed a hole in the hull. I think it was the spreader. The trucker got it fixed fast but the gel never matched completely. The other time the mast rubbed and got a hole in it. These guys don't seem to check the load after they get on the road.
Our boat sailed to San Diego from LaPaz, then trucked. You will have to sort out the ups and downs of getting a trucker to ship from Mexico, maybe San Carlos?
-I would ask for references from whomever you are going to use, that is probably the best advice.
-There is a new thing with truckers in general, where they hold your stuff hostage for more money once under way. Be careful. It's been reported many times for people moving a whole household. Once reported here regarding shipping a boat, years ago.
-Not sure why you want it to go to Victoria, but it will likely be much easier to land the boat in Seattle or north and then just sail it to Victoria. I doubt a boat on trailer will even fit on a BC ferry.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 09:49   #7

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelweb View Post

Thank you,
Darrel

Hi Darrel, I would get a competitive quote from Cabrales boatyard in Penasco and see what legalese they throw at you. Going up inside would be <600nm vs ~1000nm outside to San Diego.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 10:38   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
Hi Darrel, I would get a competitive quote from Cabrales boatyard in Penasco and see what legalese they throw at you. Going up inside would be <600nm vs ~1000nm outside to San Diego.
Good point. Not only shorter, but a hole lot easier.
Old 26-09-2019, 12:37   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
Consider making it back stateside and having it shipped to Washington area. Shipping within the states is affordable; Across two international borders not as much.
Het comrade. Your ignorance is showing.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 13:06   #10
rbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
So you think commercial shipping insurance for three countries plus export and import paperwork and a ferry crossing plus return paid by the shipping company don’t get passed along to the customer? I must be ignorant
Old 26-09-2019, 13:17   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbk View Post
So you think commercial shipping insurance for three countries plus export and import paperwork and a ferry crossing plus return paid by the shipping company don’t get passed along to the customer? I must be ignorant
Yes, I agree.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 13:34   #12
rbk

Quote:
Yes, I agree.
Old 26-09-2019, 14:40   #13

No good deed goes unpunished.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 15:17   #14
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’

Greetings all,

We shipped our Lagoon 35CCC 4-5 years ago from LaPaz via Raven transport and had nothing but a wonderful experience doing so. It was roughly $15K USD and yes it lands in Victoria BC. Or at least usually does. They have also been known to offload in Nanaimo if weather in Victoria is not agreeable. The reason, as someone mentioned above, is the Jones act. After loading in LaPaz, which was an incredibly easy and trouble free process, we motored alongside the freighter while they were at anchor into the straps they had submerged for us, they took us back to shore in a small boat and we flew home to Seattle. Our boat arrived ten days later in Victoria harbor. We were kept updated daily with progress reports and delivery date so we could be in Victoria at the right time to retrieve our boat. They picked us up at the public dock in Victoria and took us to our boat which was being lowered in the slings as we approached. Climbed aboard, opened the seacocks, fired her up and sailed away. After leaving LaPaz the freighter hits Ensenada then San Diego, or sometimes the Bay Area I am told, and then must, again due to the jones act, land at a foreign port, hence the Victoria delivery although many, if not most of the boats on the same transport as us were home ported in the US. Again it was easy and I would do it again in a heartbeat. $15$ is cheap in my mind compared to the time and beating it would take to get up the west coast on her own bottom. Just my experience, yours certainly may differ.

Safe Journeys,
~Jake
Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 15:25   #15

Quote:
Having a bad day, are we?