Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2019, 15:27   #16
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’
Re: Vessel Transport-Lapaz to Victoria

I am old and forgetful. I meant to include in my last reply that there was no hiccups or issues with customs or crossing multiple countries borders in the trip. We simply cancelled our Mexican TIP upon departing, as you would do regardless of how the boat leaves Mexico, then once we retrieved her in Canada we sailed directly to Friday Harbor and checked in to customs there. They asked what country we last visited, we said we just picked up boat from yacht transport in Victoria harbor after it was delivered from Mexico. They asked how long we had been in Mexico. We told them the boat had been there for 6 years and used seasonally via a Mexican TIP. They asked the usual things about crew and items aboard and they told us to have a good day. They never even so much as looked at the boat, except via the cameras they have on the docks. Less than 10 minutes total to clear back into US. Again, just one of many experiences out there I am certain.

Safe Journeys,
~Jake
Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 15:37   #17
rbk

Boat: T37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahwork View Post
Greetings all,

We shipped our Lagoon 35CCC 4-5 years ago from LaPaz via Raven transport and had nothing but a wonderful experience doing so. It was roughly $15K USD and yes it lands in Victoria BC. Or at least usually does. They have also been known to offload in Nanaimo if weather in Victoria is not agreeable. The reason, as someone mentioned above, is the Jones act. After loading in LaPaz, which was an incredibly easy and trouble free process, we motored alongside the freighter while they were at anchor into the straps they had submerged for us, they took us back to shore in a small boat and we flew home to Seattle. Our boat arrived ten days later in Victoria harbor. We were kept updated daily with progress reports and delivery date so we could be in Victoria at the right time to retrieve our boat. They picked us up at the public dock in Victoria and took us to our boat which was being lowered in the slings as we approached. Climbed aboard, opened the seacocks, fired her up and sailed away. After leaving LaPaz the freighter hits Ensenada then San Diego, or sometimes the Bay Area I am told, and then must, again due to the jones act, land at a foreign port, hence the Victoria delivery although many, if not most of the boats on the same transport as us were home ported in the US. Again it was easy and I would do it again in a heartbeat. $15$ is cheap in my mind compared to the time and beating it would take to get up the west coast on her own bottom. Just my experience, yours certainly may differ.

Safe Journeys,
~Jake
And would likely be around 6K USD by truck from San Diego to Seattle area. Price is a relative thing as proven above.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 15:51   #18
cruiser

Boat: Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’

You are correct. Price is relative. Considering his boat is a 30 foot monohull and ours, at the time at least as we have since sold her, was a 35 foot catamaran, I would suspect the cost of shipping with Raven transport, the question he asked and to which I replied, would be something less than what we payed for a longer and considerably wider vessel. We also factored in the luxury of not having to remove/replace the rigging. Again, he asked about experiences with a particular yacht transport company. Our experience was extremely pleasant and well worth the “relative” price we payed in our minds.

Safe Journeys,
~Jake
Jahwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 17:13   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
Having a bad day, are we?
Not in the least.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 18:21   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Not in the least.
Perhaps its time to get a new boat and slow down on the posts? Ya think? You seem a tad antsy my friend.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote