Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2018, 10:33   #1

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37
Temporary Import Permit for Mexico

I have been trying to research the red tape requirements for Mexico as I will be joining next year's haha.

Long story short, my boat has previously cruised Mexico, likely sometime between 1983 and 1993 with the first owner. I have no way to know if it had a TIP at that time and/or if it was ever cancelled per the regulations.

I am concerned I will run into issues in getting a new TIP when I bring the boat into Mexico and want to get a jump on any paperwork that might be necessary if I do need to cancel the ancient TIP.

For those that have been there, do I have anything to be concerned about? Would the time in Mexico have been too long ago for there to have been any record still on the books?

Also complicating it is originally the boat was flagged in the UK. Then it switched to Canada, now it is USA flagged.

Thanks for any guidance!
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:40   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Temporary Import Permit for Mexico

You really think the bureaucracy will have the records online from that long ago?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:54   #3

Frankly no idea. I have my doubts, but don't want it to bite me.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:00   #4

As the TIP’s are good for 10 years, you should be fine. However, I think there was a time when TIP’s did not expire, but probably pre computers in Mexico. Usually pre HaHa they have officials from Mexico available that can check if your boat has an existing TIP.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 14:01   #5
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Why not contact the folks who issue the TIP and ask them directly? Or, find out how far in advance you can get it, and send the application in ahead for processing? Will they allow that? Ask directly.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 14:11   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Why not contact the folks who issue the TIP and ask them directly? Or, find out how far in advance you can get it, and send the application in ahead for processing? Will they allow that? Ask directly.
Already trying that but nothing back from them. In addition you can only apply 30-60 days prior to entry if I understand the regs correctly. If I need to make travel arrangements to cancel an order TIP, I was looking to plan in advance.
Old 07-11-2018, 17:31   #7
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Temporary Import Permit for Mexico - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

If this 2015 web posting is accurate and still current, you can apply now, for $45 online, and the permit is valid for ten years then extensible for ten more.

There are contact numbers and emails on that page which should let you get the current information right from the horses mouth. (Unless of course, war breaks out when those Hondurans hit the border.)
Old 08-11-2018, 09:52   #8

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Excaliber,

Downwind Marine in San Diego [a cruiser's chandlery founded by ex-cruisers...] maintains [for decades...] a Cruising Guide for those heading into Mexico. They do a great job of keeping it up to date.

You will find TIP info on pp26-27.

Cheers! Bill
Old 08-11-2018, 13:18   #9

Boat: Nauticat 43

This is a recent article from Latitude 38 regarding your question.

https://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/a-tip-tip/
rbrazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:24   #10

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

As late as 1994 the TIP did not exist according to my cruiser friend when they sailed to Mexico. TIPs cancel/expire after 10 years. Based on your info doesn’t seem possible one could still be on the books.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2019, 14:57   #11

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We cruised in Mexico in ‘96-‘97 during which time I had parts shipped to me. At the time, I had to fill out many forms for Mexican Customs ‘Aduana’ but I didn’t pay much attention to them. Fast forward to 2009 when we’re cruising Mexico again, we apply for and receive a Mexican Temporary Import Permit, no questions asked.

However, we just went to renew the TIP we got in 2009 and were told that there’s still an outstanding TIP from Customs - it’s probably the one from 1996. The current agency that issues TIPs has no idea how to get Customs to cancel the 22-year old TIP - it’s a completely different part of the government. This wasn’t discovered until they had cancelled our existing TIP so now we have nothing. This could be difficult and expensive.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2019, 09:33   #12
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

What do you mean that a old permit is "outstanding" ? That sounds like a translation error. When a summons or other citation is "outstanding" that commonly means it is still in effect and it is "still due". i.e. that you have to pay it.

But if you were issued an import permit--that can't be outstanding, a "permit" in and of itself is not a demand for payment, it is a permit.

Sounds like that needs to be clarified by a good translator, and only then can you begin to ask whoever issued the original "permit" to do something about the real problem.
Old 15-01-2019, 10:29   #13

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com

This is the essence of the problem. The the Temporary Import Permit (TIP) I received in 1996 has clearly expired but the ‘process’ in Mexico dictates that I, as the boat owner, have to cancel it. Plus, to make matters more complicated, they demand that I submit the original TIP, which I don’t have.

After much research on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that I need to go to the Banjercito with someone fluent in Spanish, who can be polite but firm and demand that they call Mexico City and find who has the authority to delete the offending and expired TIP. Others have had success doing it this way but it takes finding the right person at the Banjercito, who finds the right person in Mexico City.

What makes me unhappy is that Mexican law requires visiting yachts to have the TIP but then refuses to issue them. A fundamental flaw in their process is keeping an expired TIP on record: If it has expired, it should automatically be deleted.

Old 16-01-2019, 07:00   #14
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

t i p are able to be gotten after entry. one has 6 months to obtain it. banjercito, aka bank of the army, is the only bank that deals with it, and if there is a banjercito is in town, one can get the t i p.
baja haha does not hit ensenada, therefore the t i p can be obtained in la paz or mazatlan or other port of entry.
ask at your local mexico consulate when you are in san diego -- they will advise you as to your best options.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 08:00   #15

I also read where someone filed a police report that said their TIP was lost. They then took the police report to the Banjercito and were able to get the TIP canceled.

Periodically, at various Mexican consulates in the US, Mexico will offer ‘TIP Amnesty’ sessions where they will cancel outstanding TIPs. However, you must still provide the original TIP document.

Richard Spindler, the former publisher of Latitude 38, wrote in September of last year that he recommends buyers of cruising boats refuse any vessels where the owner cannot prove that the vessel properly cleared out of Mexico and canceled their TIP.

Tags
import, Mexico, permit