Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2020, 13:29   #1

Retirement in Florida

I have four years to retirement and am looking to move to Florida (east coast), North Carolina or South Carolina. Does anyone have suggestions of where to start looking for houses? I want the no income tax benefit of Florida but will go as far north as N.C. No more winter for me, thank you.

I want to be somewhere with a sailing community. Somewhere near a marina/beach. I want to be near resturaunts, bars, and nightlife. Somewhere near state parks or other outdoor activities is a must also.

I heard Melbourne, FL is nice. But any suggestion would help.

Thank y'all!
Gary Bode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 09:02   #2

Boat: 2003 PDQ 36 Capella
Re: Retirement in Florida

Apparently nobody reads these regional forums Gary. I think St. Augustine is the best place in Florida, the only problem is lack of inlets along the coast forces you to stay on the Intracoastal or the St. Johns River. You can't quickly hop from one inlet to another offshore around northeast Florida because they are 50 to 60 miles from each other so you're looking at an all day trip if you want to sail offshore from one town to another. Sure, you can always go offshore and come back in the same Inlet which is what we usually do. But other areas like the Carolinas have more navigable sheltered areas along the coast, I believe, making day trips more interesting or allowing for inlet to inlet jumps of a shorter distance.
sjm823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 21:04   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 33t

For the price point, Oriental, NC not as cheap, but way more sailing, or further up near Washington, NC is hard to beat
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2020, 21:13   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm823 View Post
Apparently nobody reads these regional forums Gary. I think St. Augustine is the best place in Florida
I'd agree. STA is a great place to live and there is still plenty of affordable living. However, affordable marinas are getting fewer and fewer.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2020, 21:06   #5

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I'm parked by Naples.

I'm looking for a shipyard that can haul out a 24ft wide catamaran on Florida west coast.

I found one in Miami, and Ft Lauderdale, but that's a long trip for a bottom job.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 19:17   #6

Boat: C&C 35 MKIII
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail Send a message via Skype™ to chef2sail

New Bern, NC area. We are looking to retire within a year, or the northern neck of Virginia. Currently in the Annapolis, Maryland area
chef2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 19:27   #7

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

My brother lives in the st Petersburg area. Strong sailing presence, reasonable cost of living, no winter. Many people from the midwest retire there. Thx-Ace
Old 02-09-2020, 19:34   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

You could try Antigua.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 20:33   #9

Boat: EDELCAT33

It really depends on your budget and sailing range. Since you have 4 years to go, I strongly suggest you do a hop on hop out vacation starting Sebastian Inlet down south. Bahamas sailing can be reached from anywhere in Florida, but keys sailing is far from anywhere north of Broward county or Ft Lauderdale, even from there you are looking at a full week commitment to make any dent south of the middle keys.
In any rate, east coast of Florida is more East coast USA culture than the west coast of Florida which is closer to Midwest culture.
Personally, although I love the Tampa/St Pete area; the heat can be oppressive, the currents can be tricky, the wind is on my opinion good only from November to April, and there are not too many coves to take cover.
I sail out of Miami and I understand is not desirable for many people, but I like the flexibility to sail to Bahamas and the Keys without any drama.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 01:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I'm parked by Naples.

I'm looking for a shipyard that can haul out a 24ft wide catamaran on Florida west coast.

I found one in Miami, and Ft Lauderdale, but that's a long trip for a bottom job.
Just helped a friend move his 24 foot wide power cat to Viking Boat works in Tampa Bay for bottom job. Probably not any closer than Miami for you, but FYI. He's gone there a few times and likes their work.

As far as where to relocate in Florida, my wife and I moved from San Francisco To St Pete 15 years ago. At the time, I was in management consulting and could live anywhere I wanted, just had to be within at least a second tier airport. We looked all over the state. We liked Jacksonville but weather was a bit cold in winter. The stretch down to Miami (Stuart, ft Lauderdale, etc) was too east-coast/up-tight, Miami was a bit expensive. We settled on St Pete and have been very happy with decision. It is much more water-connected than even Tampa, and it has a very comfortable "chill" vibe to it.

One thing we really like about the St Pete area is access to the beaches. Public access is frequent and affordable. Seems like many locations are finding ways to restrict public access such as reducing parking and such. We don't go to the beach often, but when we do, we enjoy seeing families and friends enjoying the beautiful white sand beaches of Pinellas County.

I know the OP was asking about east coast Florida. Despite us both from the east coast (I was born in NJ, my wife CT), we strongly prefer the west coast. As others have noted, mid/lower east coast of Florida has many east coast transplants, Florida's west coast has many Midwestern transplants. For us, the difference is palpable.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 20:21   #11

Boat: Hanse 348

If you don't want winter, NC is not the place to be. I have friends from NC who snowbird in FLL! If you want tropical weather , about 100 mi N of MIA is where the weather pattern changes . Disney can see nights in the 30s in Jan. I am from the NE, if I don't want winter, I would want to be in S FL. INnon covid times, lots of rest, beach, etc.
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 20:32   #12

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I'm parked by Naples.

Diversified yacht services in Ft. Meyers advertises it can lift a 26ft beam. I think that Gulf Marine Ways if Ft Meyers also has a 150 ton lift that can lift pretty wide boats. Everyone with cats around here gets hauled in Ft Meyers.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2021, 06:00   #13

Boat: 41' Morgan Out Island Ketch

I am in Nassau county, on the FL/GA line. It's nice there too and less expensive than Saint Augustine, but still close to Jax for everything. Several yards and marinas close by too.
nolakennedys is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, men, retirement